Manicure Cert not enough for gel polish / shellac use?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think common sense is needed and the ability to research your product. If that is not a quality of the tech then a course should be taken.

I, honestly, didn't understand why, when we have had it drummed into us for years, that you didn't have to have any qualification in gels to use the gel polishes/power polishes. These can be undercured and overcured so I have always wondered why the companies didn't insist on at least a course to be able to use these products. :wink2:

Thanks Sheila. This is just what i mean!

The problems that can arise from using these products incorrectly are worrying, yet there are some people that see the fact that they only need a mani/pedi cert to buy and assume the product must be so easy that they really dont need a course.....but, having never used a UV lamp or having any understanding of the issues that can come up if the product is not cured correctly, its not surprising some of them come unstuck fairly quickly!!

I still read posts that refer to the UV lamp 'drying' the nails.... that is a lack of understanding for the process and that is worrying when they are applying these products as a 'proffesional' to paying clients.

I've got mani and pedi cert's, nail extension's in gels and acrylic. I bought shellac, did a test run on me and two sister's and was great last's two weeks plus. I would have done a course if I had problems but I didn't. Haven't had one single complaint and been doing them since April. I was under the impression that it's just trouble shooting and that you didn't get a certificate anyway.

One aspect of this discussion is how many times I need to do a nail repair in gel before I apply Shellac. If a client has 8 long nails and two broken ones, would I just be expected to even them out with a file and then Shellac them? But because I have a gel qualification, I can sort the broken nails out before the Shellac treatment and my clients leave thinking I'm some sort of miracle worker.

I really think that a qualification in enhancements can benefit Shellac users... both techs and clients! But I think it's too late to try to change the requirements now. But I know that I can offer clients options that can't be done by a manicure-only tech, and clients speak with their feet.

I use Shellac . I have never done the training but I've never had any problems. I thoroughly researched and read up on the product before investing. I know how to do a good polish and I used the CND DVD and procedure sheet that came with my original Shellac Kit. I use the correct products from sweet Squared/CND as recommended. I use the CND lamp and use the correct timings for curing & the wraps for removal. I do a very good job and have regular repeat clients with no complaints. :)

Latest posts

Back