Manicure Cert not enough for gel polish / shellac use?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissOwen

Reaction score
Anyone else think that a gel certificate (or manditory completion of a product specific course) would be a better requirement for the use of Shellac and Gel Polishes?

They are such a simple product to use but the forum seems to be plagued with questions about them and I think many of the issues are down to a lack of understanding for how gel and UV work.

The possible problems such as over exposure if not correctly removing the stick layer, using the incorrect lamp, wrinkling etc are things that require some gel experience.

Thats my opinion, whats yours?! :D

Anyone else think that a gel certificate (or manditory completion of a product specific course) would be a better requirement for the use of Shellac and Gel Polishes?

They are such a simple product to use but the forum seems to be plagued with questions about them and I think many of the issues are down to a lack of understanding for how gel and UV work.

The possible problems such as over exposure if not correctly removing the stick layer, using the incorrect lamp, wrinkling etc are things that require some gel experience.

I trained in L&P, Mani and Pedi many years ago but have never used gel or a UV lamp.
I haven't experienced any problems that my own common sense hasn't answered for me (only done my husband and my own nails mind)...and following the CND application videos too.

I am booked to do my Shellac training in 10 days (can't wait as I love learning), so I suppose I will be told if I am any good then :biggrin:
I think if S2 had told me I had to train in gel I may not have gone for Shellac, so I for one am glad you don't need a gel cert :lol:

Last edited:
I agree. Its nice to have the option to just have the mani/pedi certificate and then do the gel course later. Most people can learn how to use Shellac by videos/websites or even support from geeks on here. Then if they feel they still need to attend the course then its a great oppertunity :D

I trained in L&P, Mani and Pedi many years ago but have never used gel or a UV lamp.
I haven't experienced any problems that my own common sense hasn't answered for me (only done my husband and my own nails mind)...and following the application videos too.

I am booked to do my Shellac training in 10 days (can't wait as I love learning), so I suppose I will be told if I am any good then :biggrin:
I think if S2 had told me I had to train in gel I may not have gone for Shellac, so I for one am glad you don't need a gel cert :lol:

When I first did a C&G many, many moons ago, we didn't go into or know about everything that's available today. I have never used a UV lamp before now and my refresher manicure course wasn't about this either (didn't expect it to be).

I have researched any gaps I feel I have, but still feel like there is so much more for me to learn, or refresh on, even though I have no intention on taking things further than natural nail treatments. I will go on a Shellac and Gelish course and I am an information junkie and also want to fill as many of these gaps as possible.

So for me, I believe I should do the specific courses and I hope safe UV lamp use is part of them!

Although I am not a nail geek (lashes are my thing) I have decided to add Shellac to my range of services.

Did I watch a youtube video to learn then come on here will a zillion questions? NO!

I booked my self on a CND naturally manicure to learn the basics & I booked myself a Shellac course. I want to learn about the product directly from the company.

I consider myself to be a professional and the only way to offer your clients the best service is to do the best training.

I have spent weeks on here searching through every Shellac thread (and goodness, there are a lot.....:eek:) Some of them are very helpful and informative and some of them are, quite frankly, ridiculous.

As a professional forum, some of the questions astound me.

It does irk me a bit when people want to buy a cheap kit, don't want to "waste money" on training then advertise themselves as offering a professional service.

Although I am not a nail geek (lashes are my thing) I have decided to add Shellac to my range of services.

Did I watch a youtube video to learn then come on here will a zillion questions? NO!

I booked my self on a CND naturally manicure to learn the basics & I booked myself a Shellac course. I want to learn about the product directly from the company.

I consider myself to be a professional and the only way to offer your clients the best service is to do the best training.

I have spent weeks on here searching through every Shellac thread (and goodness, there are a lot.....:eek:) Some of them are very helpful and informative and some of them are, quite frankly, ridiculous.

It does irk me a bit when people want to buy a cheap kit, don't want to "waste money" on training then advertise themselves as offering a professional service.

Totally agree with this, shellac being power polish & not a gel is the difference, I've said before if S2 thought shellac needed a longer course it would provide one, your manicure cert would prove you are competent but it's always about the practice afterwards It's takes time to master anything worthwhile & using a whole system & doing each step as recommended by the manufacturer you won't go far wrong x

I am about to take on the Shellac system. I have my mani and pedi certificate and trained in gels and acrylics, though i didn't certify in it as my college had problems with the tutor at the time. It wasn't for me, so i didn't pursue it.

I don't think gel should be mandatory, but maybe they could make a Shellac class mandatory. I'm going on one in December, but i'm one of those people that really likes to get all the info possible. It's great that it's just a half day and not very much money either x

Anyone else think that a gel certificate (or mandatory completion of a product specific course) would be a better requirement for the use of Shellac and Gel Polishes?

That is why we recommend that you go on the Shellac class so you can learn all you need to know and then you can ask all the questions and apply it correctly!

i can totally see what you mean about ALL the threads about Shellac but if all those people went on the Class they would know the answer! the classes are really not expensive! and if these people that ask all the questions would just find out some info on the classes then 10 posts about about the same thing it would make a big difference.

Some people have a thing about not paying for education when there is a you tube video about it and its "only polish" when really that class make a hell of a lot of difference not only to your knowledge but also to you application and if your application isn't good your clients arnt going to be coming back! x

I have a manicure and gel nails qualification. I decided more or less straight away that nails weren't really for me and not my thing so since my training I haven't done any at all!
Now when Shellac came along I was quite excited by it and wear it all the time. I apply it perfectly, never have any problems and it lasts till I take it off.
I really don't get why people are having such problems. I admit, I very rarely do my own but I've applied it on myself and others and still never have a problem.
So if that was the case I would be able to buy it as I have a gel certificate even though I never do them.
You don't need gel qualification, you just need common sense :biggrin:

Last edited:
Contacted beauty guild by email and they said if I have a Nvq in manicure/pedicure and enhancements I did not require to do shellac course.

I haven't experienced any problems that my own common sense hasn't answered for me (only done my husband and my own nails mind)...and following the CND application videos too.
If they did courses in common sense the world would be a much better place :biggrin:

You are booked on a Shellac course, would you have been happy to buy Shellac if the Shellac course was required to buy and use the product? A product specific course to teach you to use it correctly would enough to solve many problems i think.

Mandatory product specific training would be good to me. It would mean people having to see how it works before jumping in with a system that, although i know it is described as a power polish, it still needs a certain amount of info into the science behind UV and the reasons why not just any lamp will do :D

When I first did a C&G many, many moons ago, we didn't go into or know about everything that's available today. I have never used a UV lamp before now and my refresher manicure course wasn't about this either (didn't expect it to be).

I have researched any gaps I feel I have, but still feel like there is so much more for me to learn, or refresh on, even though I have no intention on taking things further than natural nail treatments. I will go on a Shellac and Gelish course and I am an information junkie and also want to fill as many of these gaps as possible.

So for me, I believe I should do the specific courses and I hope safe UV lamp use is part of them!

This is what i think. There is quite a gap between what is taught as a basic mani/pedi course and what is needed for Shellac or any of the gel polishes. Many of us just research the info we need to make sure we understand the product we use, but many dont!

This leaves a large number of people incorrectly applying and using the product, especially with how popular they have become

Agreed :biggrin: x

That is why we recommend that you go on the Shellac class so you can learn all you need to know and then you can ask all the questions and apply it correctly!

i can totally see what you mean about ALL the threads about Shellac but if all those people went on the Class they would know the answer! the classes are really not expensive! and if these people that ask all the questions would just find out some info on the classes then 10 posts about about the same thing it would make a big difference.

Some people have a thing about not paying for education when there is a you tube video about it and its "only polish" when really that class make a hell of a lot of difference not only to your knowledge but also to you application and if your application isn't good your clients arnt going to be coming back! x

As a Shellac trainer would you like to see the course as a mandatory thing?

I think it would mantain the professionalism of the product

Mandatory product specific training would be good to me. It would mean people having to see how it works before jumping in with a system that, although i know it is described as a power polish, it still needs a certain amount of info into the science behind UV and the reasons why not just any lamp will do :D

Yes, I think I would have been happy to do the Shellac training if it was mandatory. However, this way I have had a couple of months to practice and so won't spend half of my training time doing the absolute basics. I did say to my EA that I would make a list of questions to take with me but my note book is empty :lol:

As a Shellac trainer would you like to see the course as a mandatory thing?

I think it would maintain the professionalism of the product

how do you think this would be done though? the product has already been on sale for over a year!

do you plan on taking Shellac off salons?

i think people should want to do the course to support them selfs, there are so many people out there for a quick pennie wanting to cut corners to save money? these are the people that DONT attend the course when advised the people that DONT use the CND UV Lamp the people that DONT use the system!

If people dont want to use the system and dont want to do the training there is nothing we can do?
What would you like us to do?

these are the salons were people go once, then dont go back! id had clients come to me that have been to another technician and client said oh they didn't do that or that! but at the end of the day what can i do! I would love to go there and train all the staff but if they don't want to do it want can i do?

S2 have done extremely well on educating nail tech on Shellac but if people dont want to listen what can they do? x

Contacted beauty guild by email and they said if I have a Nvq in manicure/pedicure and enhancements I did not require to do shellac course.

I think that is the point MissOwen is trying to make. You dont have to do the Shellac course! its your choice, in my opinion you should want to do the course! x

Hi

I have been offering Shellac and Minx for the last eighteen months or so and have never had any problems (or asked any silly questions!). I have never had the chance to do the courses with CND as I live in Spain. I am however off to the UK in December so have booked in for both courses. Very excited as although I feel I know the product feel I will learn more than ever from the courses x

I think common sense is needed and the ability to research your product. If that is not a quality of the tech then a course should be taken.

I, honestly, didn't understand why, when we have had it drummed into us for years, that you didn't have to have any qualification in gels to use the gel polishes/power polishes. These can be undercured and overcured so I have always wondered why the companies didn't insist on at least a course to be able to use these products. :wink2:

I only have Man&Ped so would be distraught if I couldn't buy Shellac.

I think even if I was fully competant in gels though I would still attend a Shellac class because

A, It's cheap as chips really!
B, Another lovely cerstifficate to add to the collection.
C, There's nothing like learning with the product and being able to ask loads of questions on the day, and should anything not go as planned you have guideance there and then.
D, I think to become a Shellac certified salon you have to have had the training (going from what another geek said on here, although not sure if thats just USA?)

I cant wait to have the money to bring in Shellac, in fact I might just everyone for money at Xmas so I can buy it!

Latest posts

Back