Marbeling - Any problems?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ambur30

Reaction score
I've been practicing on marbeling. Honestly? It seems very time consuming and I'm not sure if I'm willing to offer that to paying clients as I don't want to charge that much for "just polish" because it doesn't last that long! But, I can't spend soooo much time on one client's nails and not get paid for it. Any one else doing marbeling? What do you think?

I'm not really into marbling, have done it in the past but never pushed for it unless its asked for and I have just done it using 1 bowl but i wonder if it can be sped up by having more than one bowl on the go, say 5 at a time? not sure if the varnish would curdle n mess the pattern from being left in the water too long

suppose you could try and do one in the bowl and leave it for 20mins and see if it disturbs itself and then if not you can make all 10 at once and get them pre-made up! :D

Are you referring to water marbling?

You can create a marble effect using a dotting tool and nail paints, however, it doesn't turn out half as well as the effects of water marbling and depends on the look you are going for.

When I water marble I use Vaseline on the surrounding skin to stop the polish adhering to the skin but it will still need cleaning up afterwards, I also do it in a glass bowl and dunk one whole hand at a time, I clean up the skin before the polish dries and then do the other hand whilst the nails dry out, I then seal the nail with two coats of top coat and I cap the free edge.

I also pre marble clear nail tips so then if people want the effect only on the tips of the nail I can offer them a range of pre marbled designs to choose from.

Maybe not everyone offers it but I quite like the effect of it particularly if pretty colours have been used

Also I don't feel it takes that long to do, after you build up the colour and dunk the fingers in , when you pull away the excess polish from the water using an orange stick and clean the surrounding skin all they need is a top coat as by the time you do the other hand you the first one will be dry. I do explain though that the effect will not turn out the same on each finger nail. There is usually a slight variation.

I love water marbling I think it's gorgeous.:D I am dunking two fingers at a time, every nail is different and people are really surprised by it. I apply a layer of glitter varnish I think it helps protect it.xx

i have just tried on some clear tips to do this really cool effect, But mine all come out clumpy :confused:

I used a clean glass of water and dipped the nail right in and took the excess off the top the pulled it out. it looks ok but its lumpy??

what am i doing wrong??

I think water marbelling is great but it does use up a lot of polish..if u want to do it on clients try suggesting the ring fingers only as doing all fingers might be too much for the untrained eye ;)

Also it would be good if u experiment with ur nail polishes in advance as some nail polishes are not good for marbelling !

U can put on top coat and it will last the same as a regular polish application .

i have just tried on some clear tips to do this really cool effect, But mine all come out clumpy :confused:

I used a clean glass of water and dipped the nail right in and took the excess off the top the pulled it out. it looks ok but its lumpy??

what am i doing wrong??

Is the nail polish u used too thick ?

I love water marbling its great fun. it's great if you use pearly colours great effect xx

Are you referring to water marbling?

You can create a marble effect using a dotting tool and nail paints, however, it doesn't turn out half as well as the effects of water marbling and depends on the look you are going for.

When I water marble I use Vaseline on the surrounding skin to stop the polish adhering to the skin but it will still need cleaning up afterwards, I also do it in a glass bowl and dunk one whole hand at a time, I clean up the skin before the polish dries and then do the other hand whilst the nails dry out, I then seal the nail with two coats of top coat and I cap the free edge.

I also pre marble clear nail tips so then if people want the effect only on the tips of the nail I can offer them a range of pre marbled designs to choose from.

Maybe not everyone offers it but I quite like the effect of it particularly if pretty colours have been used
that is a great idea so do you go the tips and then do the rest ofbthe enhancement in gel and can you use acrylic aswel wot a fantastic thing to do I'm Gunna try it out xx

Water marbelling makes me crazy. Lots of fuss and wasted product and cleanup.

I prefer: L&P marbelling, UV Gel marbelling, Freehand paint/polish marbling.
Much less time consuming, tidier and I personally prefer the look.
Done with brushes and dotters.
I have a vid on youtube.
Look up user "Mereena" for Marbelled french tut.

hth's

Is the nail polish u used too thick ?

I am not sure. i just dot a drop in to the water and then keep doing it till i get a few rings then drag out my patten.

how would i no if its to think?

thanks clare

How about making up the marbling beforehand, there's a trick on a blog I read somewhere about using a clear plastic wallet, you create the water marble in the glass, lay the layer of plastic over the polish to pick up the marble effect all in one go. Set aside to dry, then cut to finger size strips a bit like Minx. To apply to nails polish with base coat/base colour whilst it's still wet press the marbled strip on a peel off the plastic leaving the marble polish behind.

I'm on my phone so can't do a link, I'll edit one in later

Here is a link to a blogger who shows some step by steps for dry water marbelling

http://morenailpolish.blogspot.com/2011/08/my-take-on-dry-water-marbling.html

Last edited:
I am not sure. i just dot a drop in to the water and then keep doing it till i get a few rings then drag out my patten.

how would i no if its to think?

thanks clare

If u were to apply it to the nail with a brush would it be too thick ? bec. the only time I have had this happen was when I used polish that was clumpy .

How on earth do you do this 'water marbelling'? Sounds interesting!!

Wow I love these, thanks :wink2:

Latest posts

Back