Margarine

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avivajoy

Reaction score
Margarine was originally manufactured to fatten turkeys. When it killed the turkeys the people who had put all the money into the research wanted a payback so they put their heads together to figure out what to do with this product to get their money back. It was a white substance with no food appeal so they added the yellow coloring and sold it to people to use in place of butter. How do you like it? They have come out with some clever new flavorings.
DO YOU KNOW the difference between margarine and butter?ֲ Read on to the end... gets very interesting!
ֲ·ֲ ֲ ֲ ֲ ֲ ֲ ֲ ֲ Both have the same amount of calories.
ֲ·ֲ ֲ ֲ ֲ ֲ ֲ ֲ ֲ Butter is slightly higher in saturated fats at 8 grams compared to 5 grams.
ֲ·ֲ ֲ ֲ ֲ ֲ ֲ ֲ ֲ Eating margarine can increase heart disease in women by 53% over eating the same amount of butter, according to a recent Harvard Medical Study.
ֲ·ֲ ֲ ֲ ֲ ֲ ֲ ֲ ֲ Eating butter increases the absorption of many other nutrients in other foods.
ֲ·ֲ ֲ ֲ ֲ ֲ ֲ ֲ ֲ Butter has many nutritional benefits where margarine has a few only because they are added!
ֲ·ֲ ֲ ֲ ֲ ֲ ֲ ֲ ֲ Butter tastes much better than margarine and it can enhance the flavors of other foods.
ֲ·ֲ ֲ ֲ ֲ ֲ ֲ ֲ ֲ Butter has been around for centuries where margarine has been around for less than 100 years.
And now, for margarine...
ֲ·ֲ ֲ ֲ ֲ ֲ ֲ ֲ ֲ Very high in trans fatty acids triple risk of coronary heart disease. Increases total cholesterol and LDL (this is the bad cholesterol).
ֲ·ֲ ֲ ֲ ֲ ֲ ֲ ֲ ֲ Lowers HDL cholesterol, (the good cholesterol)
ֲ·ֲ ֲ ֲ ֲ ֲ ֲ ֲ ֲ Increases the risk of cancers by up to five fold, lowers quality of breast milk, decreases immune response & decreases insulin response.
And here is the most disturbing fact... HERE IS THE PART THAT IS VERY INTERESTING!
Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC.
This fact alone was enough to have me avoiding margarine for life and anything else that is hydrogenated (this means hydrogen is added, changing the molecular structure of the substance). You can try this yourself: Purchase a tub of margarine and leave it in your garage or shaded area - Within a couple of days you will note a couple of things: No flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go near it (that should tell you something). It does not rot or smell differently because it has no nutritional value, nothing will grow on it - Even those teeny weensy microorganisms will not a find a home to grow. Why?
Because it is nearly plastic! Would you melt your Tupperware and spread that on your toast?
ֲ

OOOhhh i've always prefered butter to margarine

i am glad i am a butter person

I love butter!! - I always said it can't be worse thatn marg. So pleased to read that after all these ads on tv telling us to eat this marg and that marg!! Where did you get that info from? xx

omg....no more margerine in this house - thats terrible - perhaps we should start a thread about 'all things bad for you!'

I regularly used to use wd40 to remove sticky labels from things at work ....ive since found out its a carcinogenic substance

Amb x

MINKUS said:
omg....no more margerine in this house - thats terrible -
perhaps we should start a thread about 'all things bad for you!'
I regularly used to use wd40 to remove sticky labels from things at work ....ive since found out its a carcinogenic substance
Amb x
if we did that we would be unhappy, boring and depressed :sad:
OMG think about all the things we all eat and drink that we KNOW IS BAD FOR US but it doesn't stop us consuming them.... all of those additives, food colourings, E numbers... geez the list would go on forever :wink2:

there are some very interesting facts there about margarine vs butter, back to butter for our house too i reckon :D

OMG i cant believe that

i always thought marg was better for you,but not now.thanks for that i'm going shopping after so butter is back on the list.After all it allways did taste better:Love: love claire k

ValencianNails said:
if we did that we would be unhappy, boring and depressed :sad:
Or in my case more unhappy, bored and depressed! lol
I got this info sent to me via email from a friend (where else!?) Been reading for ages how bad marg is. Personally, I am willing to cover everything with loads of butter, any sacrifice for my health! xx

ya cant beat a better bitta butter on your knife

wrong thing to be reading when im just eating my dinner!! oohh i gone off marg now - we ain't allowed butter in our house cos me mum don't like it! (even tho the rest of us do)

avivajoy said:
Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC.
This fact alone was enough to have me avoiding margarine for life and anything else that is hydrogenated

Well, the diference betwen graphit and diamonds are 0 MOLECULES so why not wear pencils on your ring girls?
If a diference just in structure can mean a lot, imagine the diference in 1 molecule! This can't be really narrowed to this.
Sure margarine has been discovered not to be as good as everybody was claiming, but still beats butter for frying because it can takes higher temperatures.
About that test how about using oil instead? Will it rotten? Atract flies? I think not?
Not all good food rotten and atracts insects or other animal, not all food is good for microorganic growth.
Have you ever notice that honey has no expiration date? Honey 1000 years old was found balonging to some ancient civilization that could still be consumed nowdays!
When you see this type of batering on one product you really have to think for your own rather that just absorbing what they are telling you, chances are they are putting things out of perpective. This reminds me the coca-cola thread...

I always have learned that margarine was invented for Napoleon III, as a cheap mean of food to feed his army. Did some googling and came up with this:
  • Mid 19th century, there was an explosion in the population. In this time, bread became the main source of food for people. Meadowgrounds were more and more turned in to agricultural grounds to plant grane for bread. Because of this, there was less dairy cattle. This led to a shortage of butter in Europe. Besides this, Germany and France were about to start a war.
    Napoleon the 3d had learned from his uncle Napoleon 1st, (thé Napoleon) that a well fed army was very important. Because there was a buttershortage in France also, in 1867 he ordered Mège Mouriès, an important inventor, to make a product that could replace butter and be cheaper and better to keep. This way, he could supply his soldiers with enough food. Mège Mouriès experimented with cows, which he put on a diet of water. He proofed that out of the milk produced by these cows they still were able to make butter. According to him, that meant that the butterfat had to be already present in the cow. He then turned to pressing cattlefat and mixing it with scimmed milk. The endproduct, after cooling, had a somewhat pearly shine.
    Mège Mouriès called his product margarine, after the greek word margarites, which means pearl. On october 2nd the famous octroi FP 86480 was granted. In the old days, there only used to be margarine as a substitute for butter. Now a days we have, besides margarine, the possibility to prepare our food with halvarine or a product with less fat.

This according to www.gezondgewicht.nl (which means healthy weight) - I translated it in English myself so don't blame them. :D

• Margarine

MARGARINE. Margarine was invented by Hippolyte Megè-Mouriès in 1869 in response to an order from Napoleon III to produce a cheap and stable substitute for butter. The product had a pearly luster, and Megè-Mouriès named it margarine after the Greek word meaning 'pearl-like'. The process of manufacture entailed churning oleo oil (obtained from beef tallow) at 77 to 86°F (25 to 30°C) with water or milk. The product was flavored with salt. Over time margarine has been used in baked goods, to improve the palatability and quality of butter, to improve heat transfer during frying, and to add to the flavor of foods. Margarines may contain about 80 percent fat (animal or vegetable), milk solids, emulsifying agents, and salt.
This is what they had to say about margarine on wikipedia

I only use Irish butter myself. If I eat a sandwich somewhere, where they put margarine on it, I only seem to get more hungry and get acidburning.

hi chick just wondering where you got this info from and if its really true, not that i am questioning it but people have a tendency to post bull s**t on the net if you know what i mean, i have always bought margerine thinking it was better for me whilst all the time preferring butter (but i thought it was sooooo bad) and i just want to know what to buy in the future.

That is really bad !! Won`t feel so guilty now when eating butter on hot toast ! In fact I`m gonna go and see if I still feel guilty by making myself some toast and butter now !! yum yum !!:lol:

hi chick just wondering where you got this info from and if its really true, not that i am questioning it but people have a tendency to post bull s**t on the net if you know what i mean, i have always bought margerine thinking it was better for me whilst all the time preferring butter (but i thought it was sooooo bad) and i just want to know what to buy in the future.

I have seen this information before, and it was by weight watchers

Latest posts

Back