Marigold gloves!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ltongue

Reaction score
I'm having a real problem with my mums nails. I do her L&P overlays every 2 weeks but at the moment they are only lasting a few days. The problem seems to be that every sunday mum is out in the garden with her marigolds on for a few hours at a time which is causing her hands to sweat extremely which she says makes the acrylic soft and lift off whole. The other week I got her to buy proper gardening gloves but she says they did the same and by the time she finishes the moisture drips out of the gloves!

Now I know I am still trying not to touch the skin when I apply my acrylic but is this all my fault? If the product is applied perfectly would this stop happening or are the gloves to blame too?

Please help, I am at my wits end with her coming every week now with nails that have completely come off!! :sad:

Thanks for replying Sassy but no she doesn't use sun tan lotion at all.

Any more ideas anyone please.

Its not a complete answer to the problem, but I teach my students to advise their Clients to run their fingernails down a bar of soap before going into the garden - or doing any dirty job. When the hands are washed, all the dirt and grime goes away with the soap, and they don't "dig" down to get the dirt out ( a big no-no as we all know). I know the hands don't have protection, but unless she is pruning roses or something like that, maybe a barrier cream plus the soap. My Clients said it worked like a dream.

Hope this helps

Millennium Distributor and Educator

Thanks for that, I have heard about the soap trick before, but mum has to wear her gloves as she moves a lot of boulders and rumble in her garden.

She really is in catch 22 isn't she!

One thing she could try is a little talc in the gloves and perhaps every 30 mins take them off for an airing.

hi hunny
if shes moving a lot of boulders etc i would say she s putting undue pressure on her nails, causing them to lift off!!!

If your mom is moving boulders around with slippy, sweat laiden gloved hands, her grip is going to be all over the place and she will ,as already suggested be putting pressure on her nails.
I have very long natural nails at the moment and have just helped my O.H to stack a load of breezeblocks, as well as spent yesterday afternoon gardening. All Ive done is chip my polish & lose some rhinestones. I put this down to the fact that Ive always had long nails and know how to work with them. Is your mom used to gardening with long nails? are they too long for the physical work she is doing?
Personally, Id advise your mom to try it without the gloves, afterall scratched acrylic can easily be buffed back to perfection.

I use Marigolds, but they do make your hands sweat and that can cause skin rashes too, so I wear thin cotton gloves inside the Marigolds, this helps a lot, especially as I suffer from eczema.

Latest posts

Back