Mass hair loss. please help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mogwy

Reaction score
My mum has been dying her own hair with off the shelve home dyes for about 2 year against my advice. she uses a blonde dye to cover gray. About a month ago her hair started to fall out in big glumps:cry:

What can she do to stop this?

I'v only just started my diploma so apart from telling her to go see a hairdresser I dont know what els to do.
Thanks Mogwy

Last edited:
Im not a hair geek, but is she going through stress or upset at the minute???

Hair loss occurs at any stage of our lives and can be down to hormonal imbalances as well as age, stress and pregnancy etc.

If its coming out in huge clumps leaving bald patches then it may turn out to be alopecia or it could be something linked to maybe her menopause if she is going through that.

I would tell her to go to the doctors and they should be able to find out the underlying cause. There isnt anything a hairdresser can do to prevent this occurance unless of course the dye she is using is weaking her hair and causeing it to be brittle and break.

Go Drs first and see what they say.

Kate xx

I'm no Doctor but I do suffer with this disease myself - Thyroid disease. Now I am a member of an action group and a fair few Ladies who attend it have had this problem, many infact. It certainly doesn't sound like anything to do with Colouring or any other aspects of Hairdressing to me. I would try and gauge your Mums wellbeing and Health and ask if she has been experiencing anything out of the ordinary recently i.e. Headaches, Tiredness, feeling Hot/Cold, feeling rundown, fast pulse, dizzyness. All these are familiar with Thyroid disease which inturn is common with Spontanious Hair Loss. If she has had some of those symptoms then I would suggest she see's her GP.

Thank you for all your help :) I her to go to dr. so lets hope this helps and again thank you

Thank you for all your help :) I her to go to dr. so lets hope this helps and again thank you

Why is she going to the Docs though, does she actually have any other symptoms?

Had the same problem at 17 years old!!! Turned out it was my thyroid-my hair was coming out in clumps!! It has a lot to answer for and can cause many undesirable symptoms such as weight gain, hair loss, sensitivity to cold/heat, irregular periods, mood swings the list is endless and unfortunately can be difficult to control as different gps have different guidelines but happy to say mine is pretty much under control with lifelong meds xx Hope she gets sorted hun-def get thyroid checked! xx

My mum has been dying her own hair with off the shelve home dyes for about 2 year against my advice. she uses a blonde dye to cover gray. About a month ago her hair started to fall out in big glumps:cry:

What can she do to stop this?

I'v only just started my diploma so apart from telling her to go see a hairdresser I dont know what els to do.
Thanks Mogwy
Hi
When you say it is falling out is this in small 1 cm round areas or in a diffuse, general way. I think previous posts about thyroid conditions, whilst relevent, are by no means what you should worry about until many other factors are dismissed.
regards
Jonathan

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi
When you say it is falling out is this in small 1 cm round areas or in a diffuse, general way. I think previous posts about thyroid conditions, whilst relevent, are by no means what you should worry about until many other factors are dismissed.
regards
Jonathan

If you read what she says again you will see people have suggested her Mum MAY have a Thyroid problem because in her words she said:'her hair started to fall out in big glumps' If things are of that level so soon I don't really think your suggestion is going to be of much use as its obviosuly more than a early progressive problem :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
If you read what she says again you will see people have suggested her Mum MAY have a Thyroid problem because in her words she said:'her hair started to fall out in big glumps' If things are of that level so soon I don't really think your suggestion is going to be of much use as its obviosuly more than a early progressive problem :rolleyes:
No, MAY is not good enough, you have all gone off at a tangent with the medical thing which could be very scary. I notice that the postee has not yet replied, the original post was about possible chemical damage....

No, MAY is not good enough, you have all gone off at a tangent with the medical thing which could be very scary. I notice that the postee has not yet replied, the original post was about possible chemical damage....

Have you got a problem with your eyes or something? She has replied and thanked people in Post No 5. No one has gone off at a tangent either, her Mothers problem is very, very common with Thyroid disease as Jodipodi clearly points out in Post No 7. Its also highly unlikely after previous use that this would happen so spontaneously and considering she has lost what would seem a great deal of hair, hence her obvious concern. You also hit the nail on the head when you suggest 'possible' Chemical damage because of that though don't dismiss other people's advise and try and replace it by suggesting some poxy product which is miles out given her Mothers problem.

Have you got a problem with your eyes or something? She has replied and thanked people in Post No 5. No one has gone off at a tangent either, her Mothers problem is very, very common with Thyroid disease as Jodipodi clearly points out in Post No 7. Its also highly unlikely after previous use that this would happen so spontaneously and considering she has lost what would seem a great deal of hair, hence her obvious concern. You also hit the nail on the head when you suggest 'possible' Chemical damage because of that though don't dismiss other people's advise and try and replace it by suggesting some poxy product which is miles out given her Mothers problem.
I see just fine, thank you for your concern.
Tell me, in HER one and only post what makes you decide to make a medical diagnosis?
Just for the record I councel people on a daily basis on hair loss issues.
Also, are you qualified to make these medical assumptions?
By the way lets discuss this NOT ARGUE!!

I see just fine, thank you for your concern.
Tell me, in HER one and only post what makes you decide to make a medical diagnosis?
Just for the record I councel people on a daily basis on hair loss issues.
Also, are you qualified to make these medical assumptions?
By the way lets discuss this NOT ARGUE!!

Jesus :rolleyes:

For the record she has made 2 posts in this thread.
If you read the the thread again as I suggested before you will see I said and I quote: "I'm no Doctor but I do suffer with this disease myself - Thyroid disease" Now having had years of experience with this I would suggest I am more than entitled to make an assumption considering abnormal Hair Loss especially in Women is very common with the disease. Most Women as Jodipodi as done will tell you this.
As I clearly pointed out: "I am no Doctor" Are you sure your eyes are ok?
You may Councel people, good for you but learn to accept other peoples opinions also.

After a few deleted posts it's time for the padlock... :eek:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back