Massage advice?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brooke_09

Reaction score
Hi there, I am looking for some advice on massage, I am only 5ft'2 (at a push! ;)) and I get allllott of big guys coming into the salon and I always think crumbs!... they always asked for a firm massage and I do try my best, I try to lean into the movements where possible. Does anyone have any advice on any techniques I could use? Etc...

thanks for reading my post :) happy Sunday everyone! X

If I stand up really really straight I'm 5'2"" as well :lol: Have the couch low enough not to hurt your back but enough to enable you to put your entire weight into it. Use the heel of your hand, your knuckles etc Also I've just trained in hot stones which gives a deeper massage with less physical effort on your part.

Oh great thank you for your advice. I would love to learn how to use hot stones! X

I wish I'd done it years ago!! Yes there's more equipment, and the actual treatment is longer but it's much easier to do lol and of course you can charge more :)

Yes absolutely! How much do you charge for a regular back massage? And how much extra do you add for the hot stones? If you don't mind me asking of course at the moment I charge 22€ but I am starting a mobile business x

I work from home so charge £20 for a standard back and £25 with stones.

Oh and €45 for a full body x

Fab! Thank you for your help x

Hi Brooke, here are a couple of training schools which may help advance your massage techniques. Jing run lots of courses in Brighton and Gerry Pyves runs No Hands Massage courses. And, I agree with Pure, lower your couch. re hot stones, they are v gd although an added expense. Take a look at the Wavestone. It's a jade stone you can use hot or cold, only £50 and will give you an indication of whether hot stones is something you want to progress to.

Most of my massages are sports related so require a deeper treatment. I use forearms and elbows - that usually does the trick.

Lower your bed, & put your whole body weight into firm treatments. I'm quite tall but very slim for my height and can still soldier through a deep tissue

I have the couch the hight of the clients back to my hip and use my body weight to get a firm pressure.

Also as others have said, using your elbows, forearms and even the outside part of your hand will get a firm pressure.
Try not to hunch over, keep your back as straight as you can and move your body to keep your wrists in line with your arms so you don't hurt yourself. X

Thanks for all your responses :) and I've taken all your advice on board, I did two full body massages yesterday and as I was doing them kept reminding myself of what you had all said. Kamikate I've just had a look at the wave stone and it's something I'd never heard of so thank you! 😀

Latest posts

Back