massage

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxhaylzxx

Reaction score
Morning geeks,

When you are doing massage and people ask you what causes knots and so on in there back how do you phrase this? I am having trouble putting it in such a way that makes sense and doesnt sound like im rambling. I have a very difficult man in for massage this morning which i am dreading and have lost sleep over and i dont want him to think i dont even know what im on about. Any help much appriciated. I have always had prolems with saying things in a way that makes sense and without saying erm erm erm. xx

Morning geeks,

When you are doing massage and people ask you what causes knots and so on in there back how do you phrase this? I am having trouble putting it in such a way that makes sense and doesnt sound like im rambling. I have a very difficult man in for massage this morning which i am dreading and have lost sleep over and i dont want him to think i dont even know what im on about. Any help much appriciated. I have always had prolems with saying things in a way that makes sense and without saying erm erm erm. xx

Hi I usually make it brief and explain its basically a constriction of the muscle and that it is an unrelaxed muscle.When you have finished dont elaborate,that is a perfectly reasonable answer and hopefully should be enough.

I have a few clients that are like this,always stick to the same reply that way you will have it firmly inplanted and be ready to reply without even thinking about it and getting tongue tied.HTH

I found this online and it is close enough to what my Massage Therapist friend told me awhile back. I cut it short a bit but what you can basically say to your client is that the muscles fibres contract and hold in toxins. Your movements encourage them to release by allowing the natural lubrication of the muscles to come in and release these sticky knots that form painful bumps on the back or wherever.
I can not remember the name of the type of lubrication your muscles requires. It is an Acid of some kind I believe.
Massage does relese toxins so it is important to advice your client to drink plenty of fluid after so that they do not get a sick stomach or becoem overly stiff the following day.

Here is a part of the article.
Our muscles are made up of strands of fibres, and these fibres are made up of threads of proteins called sarcomeres.
The sarcomeres are responsible for the movement of muscle contraction. However the problem begins when they contact and then instead of relaxing they stay contracted.

some possible causes are injury, stress, emotional and physical fatigue, poor postural habits or working positions

When these sacromere contract the fibres won't loosen, and it is for the likening of this to a tangled piece of rope that we call it a knot. When the fibres tighten the blood flow is restricted, and nutrients and oxygen have a tougher time getting into the belly of the muscle, and the waste has a tough time getting out. This lack of lubrication causes the muscles to become dry and the fibres to become even more entangled.

PS my friend says the best way to be rid of them is heat and a slow steady movement like going over a speedbump carefully.

As Estheticians we are allowed to do this in Canada so make sure you are in your area.

thanks for the great info you have posted. The acid, is Lactic Acid, the same which causes you pain if you dont stretch properley following gym work. (I think)! :D
xx

Thank you all for the info. Im not great with words and just need something short and sweet to tell them. I abble too much lol.x

Thank you all for the info. Im not great with words and just need something short and sweet to tell them. I abble too much lol.x

I persoanlly dont think most clients want an essay anyway so I wouldn't go into the whole ins and outs,it is a build up of lactic acid as pointed out but basically as said it's a muscle in spasm,unrelaxed muscle that needs breaking down by firm pressure,heat/cold compress,massage infra red.That's easy to remember and no gabbling needed lol:D

Latest posts

Back