massaging while pregnant

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

annenails

Reaction score
Hi peeps
I have just recently started my beauty course,and our teacher has told us that you cannot massage a pregnant woman.She said that this is for pedicures,as it can cause a miscarriage.. but Im slightly confused.does this mean that you can,t massage hands when doing a manicure,or massage when doing a facial,can anyone enlighten me with the answer??s

it is advised that you do not massage before the 1st 3 months . after that you can massage a pregnant lady however there are certain point that you can not massage. also a lighter pressure should b used and no aromatherapy oils should b used. they do say you can use tangerine but i would say its best to avois altogether.

Hi peeps
I have just recently started my beauty course,and our teacher has told us that you cannot massage a pregnant woman.She said that this is for pedicures,as it can cause a miscarriage.. but Im slightly confused.does this mean that you can,t massage hands when doing a manicure,or massage when doing a facial,can anyone enlighten me with the answer??s
I can see no reason why a pregnant women cannot have her feet massaged at any stage in pregnancy or hands for that matter.Some lecturers do tend to cover all possible problems but tbh in the real world there is no reason why you cant carry out these treatments on hands or feet.I .am not talking refexology here,just foot massage

The only place would avoid throughout pregnancy would be the abdomin for obvious reasons.Also once a client got to a certain stage of pregnancy then it would't be comfortable for her to lay on her tummy. First 3 months for body massage would require a Dr's note to be on the safe side.

There are aroma oils that shouldn't be used throughout pregnancy so it would be advisable to use just a base oil.hth

Poor pregnant women,cant have anything can they.Goodness me were it that easy to cause a miscarriage there wouldnt be any need for terminations would there.

Poor pregnant women,cant have anything can they.Goodness me were it that easy to cause a miscarriage there wouldnt be any need for terminations would there.
When i was pregnant we were taught to do back massages in the antenatal class! I think people just err on the side of caution to the extreme, although i would agree that you may have to be careful with the feet -something to do with the pressure points stimulating womb (?)

There are reflexology pressure points around the ankle that are to do with the reproductive organs, so it's not advisable to massage those in pregnancy. I don't see why you can't do a gentle massage to the rest of the foot and the lower leg though.
You can do a back massage with the client sitting in a chair or on a stool, leaning forward onto the couch once she gets too big to lie on her tummy. Or there are ways of propping her up sort of half of her side so she can lie on the couch. Certain essential oils are safe to use in low concentrations after the first three months, but you'd need to be a qualified aromatherapist to use them; if you're not, it's best to use plain base oil.

thanks for the replies..:)

Hi everyone,

Im going to be doing a mini manicure and mini pedicure on a pregnant client this week. Obviously im going to do a light massage, and avoid using oils.

I was planning to use the Salon System Thai manicure and pedicure products, but should i avoid these if they contains essential oils?

i think the reason for caution is beause however small the risk it COULD happen - however much insurance you have how do you ever begin to repair the damage after loosing a baby?

Obviously pregnancy is not an illness and we as therpaists shouldnt be against doing treatments but caution is a must!!

Sorry if I sound like a preacher but a friend of mine lost a baby whilst she was working using aromatherpy oils.

Becki

My manicure range contains essential oils. When one of my clients became pregnant, she wanted a manicure and I advised her that it was better not to have the full one with the products while pregnant. There's no reason as far as I can see why you can't do cuticle work, shape, polish and massage with a plain base product, but it's better to be on the safe side with pregnancy.

Thanks everyone, i will do that, especially as they are mini treatments too.

It may sound like overkill, but it is much better to be safe than sorry.

If your clients does go on to have a miscarriage, it is incredibly unlikely that anything you have done will have caused it - but your client may link the two in her mind.

I linked an incident at work with my miscarriage several years ago - I took a week off work and after that week I told them I could not go back. It was purely an emotional reaction, but you need to make sure your clients do not have a similar reaction should the worst happen.

Latest posts

Back