Maternity leave .. how long?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cirrusbeauty

Reaction score
for anyone who has had a baby how much mat leave did you have? i am due my 2nd baby in feb which i am thrilled about it took us a long time to concieve so i am aware just how preious this baby is however i dont feel i can leave my business to go on maternity leave i have spent the last 7 nyears building it up and dont want to loose everything iv worked for so my plan is to have a few weeks off when bubs is born then go back for maybe 3 days a week which my hubby is happy to look after the baby for, i am under no illusion about how hard its going to be but feel its what i must do.

just wondered if anyone has been in a similar position and how you coped?

Hi there
I can't offer much advise but I am a mum of 3. All I would say is can u just wait and see how you feel afterwards? You never know what the birth is going to be like or what the baby is going to be like. Personally I would say 6 weeks is a more realistic timescale if you are thinking of going back 3 days a weeek. My youngest is 20 weeks this week and I've been doing some tanning in the evenings when she is asleep. I think I could leave her with my hubby 3 days a week but not anyone else. I will really start trying to get some more customers for December.
Try not to stress too much, Im sure it will all work out fo ryou and congrats on your much wanted baby
Caroline xxx

Congratulations and when you're off just think about you and your 2 children not the salon. Enjoy your time with the new baby, they grow up so quick don't they?

I had 12 months off with my first, was at college when I had my second (so was in for lessons and exams about 2 days a week), was at university when I had my third so went back ad hoc when he was 3 weeks old so I could carry on with my cohort, had 18 months off with my 4th and did clients at home from 11 days old with my 5th.

Being self employed works well for me, I pick my hours and days to work which now is every day but not always for 7 hours each day. When I run clinics my husband has the youngest and when he has to do something I don't book clients in unless my oldest (18years) is off and can look after her little sister.

If you find that doing that many days a week is too much you could always drop your hours again. Do you have trustworthy staff to leave in charge whilst you're off?

Congrats. It took me 4 years to get pregnant with my first so know how you feel. I've now got three kids ( 4, 2 and 1). When I had my youngest I had four weeks off before and four weeks off after. I'm mobile and all my clients understood and were really great, didn't loose anybody. Went back evenings and weekends, worked around my husband (we were like passing ships in the night, lol) until the baby started nursery at four months old. It is hard, but like you, I'd worked hard to set the business up and love doing what I do (aside from the fact that it fits in so well with skull runs, ballet and so on). Hope this helps and good luck.

Latest posts

Back