Maternity pay?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GIGGLER

Reaction score
I'm a self employed rent a chair, I only work 3 days now. Am I entitled to maternity pay from the government? And if so does anyone know how much it is? I'm in the uk.

Yes you do get maternity pay if your self employed.
I would also like to know how many weeks all you self employed therapists take off for maternity leave as surely taking 9 months off would loose your client base
X x x

Sent from my GT-I5800 using SalonGeek

You have to earn £30 per week or more. You get a standard £250 every 2 weeks regardless of what you earn as long It's above the £30 limit.

You need to have your national insurance up to date. You get it for approximately 8 months I think.

Check out the direct gov website. Your midwife will give you all the forms you need to complete.

Hope this helps

Lilian x
Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using SalonGeek

You can definitely get it but when you're self-employed it's called Maternity Allowance. If you google it you'll probably get to direct.gov.uk or similar. I think it's based on your earnings and I think it can range from about £30 pw to about £130 pw. Don't think you can claim it until you're 28 weeks when your midwife will give you a MAT B1 form. This is all off the top of my head so not necessarily 100% accurate.

You have to earn £30 per week or more. You get a standard £250 every 2 weeks regardless of what you earn as long It's above the £30 limit.

You need to have your national insurance up to date. You get it for approximately 8 months I think.

Check out the direct gov website. Your midwife will give you all the forms you need to complete.

Hope this helps

Lilian x

This needs checking as I am fairly sure if you earn £30 pw you will not get £125pw Maternity Allowance. Doesn't make sense. Also don't think midwife gives you claim form, just a little slip (MAT B1) to confirm you are pregnant and what your due date is. Just filled in my form last week. (Is quite long form.)

To the OP - do not lose your MAT B1, you cannot get a replacement. And send it by recorded delivery.

Also look into 'keeping in touch days' where I think you can work for 10 days, for arguments sake one day a week as you return to work, but when you have returned to work properly you cannot still claim MA, even if it is within the x no of weeks (39?) that they pay it for.

Thank you for all ur replies, I've only just gone part time as I'm goin to have to work til I pop and then I can only afford to take 3 weeks off before goin back coz I still have to pay for my chair.. £90 per week. Doesn't leave a lot left over does it. I'm the only income coz my partner has disappeared.. And I have a mortgage so wasn't sure I could claim if I own my own home.

This needs checking as I am fairly sure if you earn £30 pw you will not get £125pw Maternity Allowance. Doesn't make sense. Also don't think midwife gives you claim form, just a little slip (MAT B1) to confirm you are pregnant and what your due date is. Just filled in my form last week. (Is quite long form.)

To the OP - do not lose your MAT B1, you cannot get a replacement. And send it by recorded delivery.

The allowance is £125 pw regardless of what you earn, as long as you earn more than £30 pw. So if your a high earner you loose out, if your a low earner your quids in. It's because its based on NI, if you have never paid NI you just get a one off payment.

That's why its worth taking the full time your allowed while you get paid your maternity allowance.

....with regards to claim forms, my midwife had all the forms but this might depend on the area where you live. ;-)

The allowance is £125 pw regardless of what you earn, as long as you earn more than £30 pw. So if your a high earner you loose out, if your a low earner your quids in. It's because its based on NI, if you have never paid NI you just get a one off payment.

That's why its worth taking the full time your allowed while you get paid your maternity allowance.

In that case I stand corrected. But I can't live on £125 pw, I'm far better off working!

Thank you for all ur replies, I've only just gone part time as I'm goin to have to work til I pop and then I can only afford to take 3 weeks off before goin back coz I still have to pay for my chair.. £90 per week. Doesn't leave a lot left over does it. I'm the only income coz my partner has disappeared.. And I have a mortgage so wasn't sure I could claim if I own my own home.

That's not good :hug:

How many weeks are you?

Presumably it's your first baby?

No, you won't get Housing Benefit I'm afraid. You *may* get Council Tax Benefit.

You will almost certainly get Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit, and it could be quite worth having. Also Child Benefit.

Who is looking after baby when you go back to work after 3 weeks?

Is your NI up to date? If not you need to look into getting this sorted like yesterday.

Sorry for all the questions, I will try to conjour up some bright ideas.

Last edited:
I'm 7 months at the moment... I've got a placement at a nursery but still need to find help for a saturday as nurseries only operate mon-fri. It is my first and my family live 150 miles away so it is really hard, but I'm getting there! I've just never claimed a benefit in my life so not sure where I stand. Thanks for ur advice tho.. I really appreciate it! :)

Oh and I paid my NI bill a few weeks back and set up a direct debit to pay monthly! I've had to get my finances in order so I know where I am!

Ok the reason I asked about NI is because what Bloomingnails was saying about £128pw regardless of what you earn, is dependent on your NI being up to date within a certain period. Although if 90% of your earnings amount to £128 pw or more, no worries.

NI17A - A guide to Maternity Benefits (April 2009) - DWP

You'll be fine, but you do need to claim everything you can. Are you sure the nursery will take a 3 week old? Sorry to question you over this, mine will only take from 3 months. But if you use any OFSTED registered childcare you will get tax credits towards it.

Email me if you like. (Prefer email to pm.)

some nurseries will take babies from 6 weeks old (or at least they used to). Have never heard of one taking a 3 week old however. Would be worth double checking with your chosen nursery.

I cant find an email address, probably because im on my phone! Yes it's a reputable nursery.. My mams a nursery school teacher so she's done her research lol. They're fine to take him after 3 weeks and are very understanding towards my situation.. I've been told about a maternity grant, but again, I've not got a clue how to apply! I've given up my salon and gone part time coz I can't do the hours on my feet anymore and coz I can't afford full time nursery fees! Besides id like to spend some time with my little peanut! :) I knew I'd have to adjust but it's turning into a nightmare! There's no support or help when it comes to finding out what ur untitled too :( il take a look at that link.. Thanks! :)

i am currently getting MA and you have to have all your ni contribtions up to date, you dont have to provide proof of how much you earn each week because they consider you to be earning above £30 each week. the rate is £128 per week paid every 2 weeks and paid in arreas and you are allowed 9/10 keeping in touch days during the payment period which is 39 weeks. you can download the claim form from the direct gov website and you must send your mat b1 with the form. it takes 2 - 3 weeks for them to process it. hth x

cool - never knew nurseries took them so young.

best of luck with everything xxx

I cant find an email address, probably because im on my phone! Yes it's a reputable nursery.. My mams a nursery school teacher so she's done her research lol. They're fine to take him after 3 weeks and are very understanding towards my situation.. I've been told about a maternity grant, but again, I've not got a clue how to apply! I've given up my salon and gone part time coz I can't do the hours on my feet anymore and coz I can't afford full time nursery fees! Besides id like to spend some time with my little peanut! :) I knew I'd have to adjust but it's turning into a nightmare! There's no support or help when it comes to finding out what ur untitled too :( il take a look at that link.. Thanks! :)

I wish you all the luck in the world, I too have been on my own since day 1..
I struggle to work Saturday's because of childcare, and can not commit to the salon.. Which is why I chose to go freelance.
Enjoy being a mummy and please take it easy, your in a tough situation, but you will have the best gift in the world real soon.
Just remember what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.
:) xox

Latest posts

Back