Matting extensions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frankosmythe

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I’ve been fitting extensions for over 2 years (trained and insured) but also started at hairdressing College now too.
I’ve never ever come across any of my customers with matting!
I generally do a check of them at 2 weeks (free) so I can see they’re managing them ok and to offer advice if I see any signs they’re not. So far I’ve been lucky! Until today...
I had two fittings.
One of them I visited today.. I had to remove 30 tiny tips as they’d started matting already! Her hair was greasy and I told her she hadn’t been keeping them separated and even wondered if she has ever brushed them? She said she followed all aftercare instructions???! Has anyone else encountered this?..

Then.. another customer after only one week rang to say 20 of hers had fallen out already and had ‘slipped out’
I checked her hair and they were all in the same area at the bottom row but had pulled clumps of her own hair out with them? Is it coincidence these both had tiny tips fitted or have I done something wrong that I’m not seeing?!!
Totally lost my confidence now..

It’s hard to tell without seeing them but it sounds like the fitting was fine, aftercare seems to perhaps be the problem. If a client has greasy Unbrushed hair when I go to see them it makes me think they are probably in a worse state when I’m not there! ( you brush your teeth before seeing the dentist right?!) all you can do is advise them and give them instructions, if they choose not to follow them then their extensions won’t last and it would be a waste of ( their) money. The hair needs to be properly prepared before install, and they need to be looked after, that includes separating them as they grow down. If a lot has come from just one area then it’s possoble she has caught them with a brush whilst not supporting that area properly or maybe got too close to that section will the straighteners. Hope this is helpful x

It’s hard to tell without seeing them but it sounds like the fitting was fine, aftercare seems to perhaps be the problem. If a client has greasy Unbrushed hair when I go to see them it makes me think they are probably in a worse state when I’m not there! ( you brush your teeth before seeing the dentist right?!) all you can do is advise them and give them instructions, if they choose not to follow them then their extensions won’t last and it would be a waste of ( their) money. The hair needs to be properly prepared before install, and they need to be looked after, that includes separating them as they grow down. If a lot has come from just one area then it’s possoble she has caught them with a brush whilst not supporting that area properly or maybe got too close to that section will the straighteners. Hope this is helpful x
Yes. It’s put my mind at ease! I know it’s not the fittings as I always take photos of the sections and fittings as I go along. They were installed neatly and an aftercare instructions card left with them, in addition to me explaining to them as I went along. I know it’s their aftercare but I still have a sunken heart as I go above and beyond! I spend ages explaining the different application methods and show samples, I turn girls down if their hair isn’t strong enough! Then off my own back I ring them.. yes... I ring them! After two weeks to make sure they’re settling in ok. That’s when I can see if they’re being looked after or not! I even fit the loose ones back in free of charge! I’m evidently not strict enough!

Sounds like a great service. Stand strong , don’t assume responsibility for faults that clearly aren’t yours. If she can’t look after them then suggest she doesn’t have them! ( and then watch the panic)

I had a client last in 2016-7 who kept them in for 6 months (fusion) she refused to let me take them out earlier. And I spent around 6 hours combing it out .. some clients just are lazy and don't brush their hair in-between the bonds and think brushing the ends is acceptable. So after two weeks of matting surely thats a client issue if she isn't correctly washing her hair properly.

Latest posts

Back