Medication and nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linzwee

Ice Hockey Geek
Reaction score
hi, i just wondered can medication especially prozac effect nail enhancements. I've done a set on my friend who's been on prozac for a few months now and her nails are "falling off" (god i hate that term). I've done her nails before she went on the tablets and they lasted ages and i promise, hand on heart that I didnt do anything different this time. I'm starting to feel like i'm crap even though my other clients nails only "fall off" :mad: when they trap them in doors etc. I am replacing them for free for her but its making me feel less confident, especially seeing as i've just left a salon to go mobile! Please help... please dont confirm that i'm crap or i'll cry
Thanks xx

Basically yes!! Dont worry chick its not you. A couple of my clients have been really stressed and their enhancements have not lasted like they usually do. One of my other clients, for the length of her recent medication, had terrible trouble with split nails despite my best efforts to keep repairing etc.

Charlotte

hi, i just wondered can medication especially prozac effect nail enhancements. I've done a set on my friend who's been on prozac for a few months now and her nails are "falling off" (god i hate that term). I've done her nails before she went on the tablets and they lasted ages and i promise, hand on heart that I didnt do anything different this time. I'm starting to feel like i'm crap even though my other clients nails only "fall off" :mad: when they trap them in doors etc. I am replacing them for free for her but its making me feel less confident, especially seeing as i've just left a salon to go mobile! Please help... please dont confirm that i'm crap or i'll cry
Thanks xx

Prozac can do very strange things to your body. There are many side effects, I am on celexa not prozac now, but the prozac used to make the skin on my hands peel, so could be the prozac! Dont suppose there is any cure, just a case of waiting to see if it is a side effect that will subside

Hi iv just had the same problem with a client only she was on painkillers .... and i agree with you when they fall off and they contact you it makes you feel very inadaquate...im just setting up going mobile too ... I thought id try some Gels on this client when she comes back to me to see if they may stay on longer xxx good luck xxx

While some will say that medications don't have adverse effects, I have found it to be the opposite.

In point of fact, one of my client's doctor's told her to switch to Acrylic from UV Gel because her meds were the problem. He had randomly noticed her nails and commented, and she said "oh, they're not nice right now. They're lifting which they don't usually do"
He told her that his wife had the same problem and switched to Acrylics and had no more problems. He said that he sees that often with clients taking anti-depressants/anti-anxiety meds. Remember: this is a DOCTOR.

I've seen that work for some folks. Acrylic seems less finicky than uv gel, I find.
However, for some clients, if their doses are high enough, even Acrylic won't stay put. It really does LITERALLY fall off, with no damage to the nail plate. As if it was never stuck.

Now, to my mind: if these medications can cause all sorts of side effects in your body, and cause changes in your skin and hair... why not nails? Why would your nails be left off the list?
Scientists can take samples of your hair and nails to determine if you've been taking medication and etc, SOOO then that means that there are traces of these products in the nail plate. Right?
The traces being 'chemical', so, I would expect that perhaps it's just a case of some chemicals not getting along with others and being contraindicators.

My experiences with certain repeat clients have shown that med to high doses of: Anti-depressants/Anti-anxiety medications, thyroid medications, Heart medications seem to be the key 'problem children'.

SOMETIMES a teensy bit of etching (if you're a non-etcher) or extra primer or extra bonder as the case may be helps. But in others... nothing helps.

Sorry I haven't better news than this.

I'm sure anti depressive meds are bad for your nails.
But some people react more or less then the other.

I've had someone on killer antibiotics they just fell off and she got angry with me allthough I did warned her.

Anyway I still say meds are unpredictable.
I've got cleint cards with q's and one of them are med's so I always tell them I can't promise that it will be long lasting.

Thanks xx

Hi you are not crap at all, don't let the client get you down be positive and explain to your client that it is her medication. I can tell you most possitively that it is the medication. I have been doing nails for 20 years and I have one client exactly the same. I have tried everything even acrylic. Women's body's change hormones ect and nothing will work. The more you keep doing them free the more she will take advantage and then point the finger at you. Stand your ground with her and tell her she would be best to give them a rest until things settle down, if your doing them free then she is no loss to you. You got to be firm in this trade ad people take advantage, even your friends. This is not your fault it's her's. Hope this helps you good luck

Hi you are not crap at all, don't let the client get you down be positive and explain to your client that it is her medication. I can tell you most possitively that it is the medication. I have been doing nails for 20 years and I have one client exactly the same. I have tried everything even acrylic. Women's body's change hormones ect and nothing will work. The more you keep doing them free the more she will take advantage and then point the finger at you. Stand your ground with her and tell her she would be best to give them a rest until things settle down, if your doing them free then she is no loss to you. You got to be firm in this trade ad people take advantage, even your friends. This is not your fault it's her's. Hope this helps you good luck
The op made that post over 10 years ago so am sure it's no longer an issue for her!

Hi sounds horrible, listen what I am dealing with atm, so let's start off with saying I've been in the industry since 2003, I'm working with a boss who is on my case ( thinks she knows it all bout my industry) she is telling me that I am kak and I am making up excuses for 'problems' when I asked her to give me the clients number so I can talk to her she said she won't give me the number cause I will steal her client cause I do mobile as well, I think she is setting me up for failure and I'm not the only one she is disrespecting in the salon.

Hi sounds horrible, listen what I am dealing with atm, so let's start off with saying I've been in the industry since 2003, I'm working with a boss who is on my case ( thinks she knows it all bout my industry) she is telling me that I am kak and I am making up excuses for 'problems' when I asked her to give me the clients number so I can talk to her she said she won't give me the number cause I will steal her client cause I do mobile as well, I think she is setting me up for failure and I'm not the only one she is disrespecting in the salon.
Welcome to the forum,

The member that you are replying to has not been on the forum since 2016.

This original post is about medication and nails. Perhaps you need to create a new post and give details about your situation/ issues and see where it leads to.

Latest posts

Back