Medication and Nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucy-Jayne

Reaction score
Just a quicky...

Was wondering if anyone had any info about how different medications affect nails and their ability to stay on.

And WHY it is that they cause a problem and what they actually do to the nail plate.

Thanks geeks, I have a customer who has had major lifting very soon after having the enhancements applied and she is on lots and lots of medication.

Just a quicky...

Was wondering if anyone had any info about how different medications affect nails and their ability to stay on.

And WHY it is that they cause a problem and what they actually do to the nail plate.

Thanks geeks, I have a customer who has had major lifting very soon after having the enhancements applied and she is on lots and lots of medication.

To be honest L-J, my friend, you use CND Retention+ so you don't really need to worry about that very often. Why? Because R+ is a keratin- bonding primerless product. As long as the nail plate continues to be made of keratin then ordinary medication or hormonal changes rarely if ever affect the enhancments done with this product.

However, very poor health, large doses of heavy meds and Chemo affects the body chemistry and this in turn along with the general poor health of the person can have an affect on wearing enhancments.

Maybe your client is too poorly to be a good wearer just now?

This is an interesting topic that comes up from time to time.

I have a client who has worn her enhancements now for a couple of years, but has never been in the best of heath, her nails are normally ok sometimes slight lifting etc, she has me several times if the tables she takes effect her nails, and I've given the response that I feel it might be her general heath rather than any medication she might be taking, she also had problems with her hair (it went thin and fly away) and her skin didn't have its usual brightness iykwim xx

You are what you eat ... including medication ... everything you eat affects your general state of health ... as well as illness.

Geeg, mil gracias! Es mi salvadora! :green:

I have known some medications to cause weakening of the nails. Simvastatin (for heart disease) is one of them. So is Metformin (for PCOS). And anti-depressants are a common culprit, according to some people. No idea exactly how they affect the chemistry of the nail though.

Clara doon, it sounds like your friend may have a thyroid problem or something wrong with her adrenal gland. These things can deplete healthy production of keratin.

Maybe Doug Schoon could help us with this one.

As to How the keratin of the naioplate can be affected by poor health and meds to the point where a keratin bonding product like R+ no longer bonds to it???

DOUG???

I'll check my book out when I get home.

I've had no end of problems with this woman, she's gone nuts. Slightly knocked my confidence because I thought I had actually done something wrong. I mean, everyone gets the odd bit of lifting every now and again, but for all of them to lift as though they are peeling off......? I don't think it's something completely wrong that I've done because I know I'm better than that, and she did state that she was on LOADS of different medication.

Latest posts

Back