Medication causing hair to fall out. Please help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hairyh

Reaction score
Hi my Mum is an epileptic and is having her medication changed,her hair has started coming out in clumps and has 3 large bald patches and in the middle of the bald patches there are really white wispy bits of hair,and all the hair round her hairline has turned white the doctor has said its down to stress. She has asked me to colour it and I have told her I don't want to touch it, but she is really down about it. Is there anything I can put on it?

Are you a professional hairdresser? If not why don't you go to a salon , or if your mum feels a bit embarrassed get a good freelance hairdresser to take a look, as some medication can make the hair weak, so untill the strength returns, colours maybe out of the question, maybe coloured mousse that's vey mild on hair!!!!

Hi yeah I have been a hairdresser for 15 years just this is the first time I have had to deal with this and just wanting some advice xx

The thing is, when medication if affecting your mums hair so adversely already, Its tricky to predict how colour will affect it. Personally I would advise leaving well alone until she is more settled in to her new medication. I may be being a chicken, but Id rather be safe than sorry xxx

Thanks for the advice. I was not really wanting to touch it but as there is so many new products to choose form I thought there might be something I could do to cheer her up, hopefully it gets better soon. Thanks again xx

Hope your mum feels better soon, and once medication sorted hair could settle, sometimes theirs nothing we can do just to be patient! :)))))

I am not a hairdresser and am not attempting to give any kind of advice.

I have just read a thread on encouraging eye brows to grow and Castor Oil was suggested.

I went off to do some research and found this site, it is interesting and may be worth a read.

How Does Castor Oil Help Hair Growth

Hi my Mum is an epileptic and is having her medication changed,her hair has started coming out in clumps and has 3 large bald patches and in the middle of the bald patches there are really white wispy bits of hair,and all the hair round her hairline has turned white the doctor has said its down to stress. She has asked me to colour it and I have told her I don't want to touch it, but she is really down about it. Is there anything I can put on it?

I'm not a hair professional but also suffer from thinning hair, although not that severe yet, I have been using Nioxin shampoo/conditioner & mousse. I've also been looking into castor oil, as mentioned by the previous poster, and I've ordered some this morning to try. I wanted to reply as my friends mum has been through the same as your mum. She brought a really good wig and then had it styled by a hairdresser, and I can honestly say I would not of known it was a wig. It's given her the confidence and is allowing her hair to grow back (because she's not stressing about it). She hasn't paid a lot for the wig less than £100 I think but she did go to a proper shop to try them on. Could be an option for your mum, I wish her well I know how upsetting it is x

Thanks for all the help, will get her to try castor oil and hopefully it helps xx

Hi I just wanted to say I have a friend who last year was in a similar position, her medication caused all of her hair to fall out in a couple of weeks! I just wanted to reassure your mum that there is light at the end of the tunnel! After a year of wearing wigs she now has a cute inverted bob that is all her own!
I hope your mum doesn't lose anymore and it reverses quickly for her. Xx

My mum also says thanks xx

Latest posts

Back