Megamix nails. Create your own gel polish colours with eyeshadows, nail polish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And I've found it's definitely stronger than BL smoothing gel under shellac!

Can I just ask why you used mm with your shellac, was it for strength? I use structure gel with gelish with amazing results, so I'm guessing for me this product would just be used for mixing?

To those that use it for mixing only, have you found it works just as well with gelish /shellac base and top or better with full system?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to get it straight in my mind before buying it xx

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

I've not tried the full system I love my shellac no buff base and I love the shine of Shellac topcoat. Ive mixed mm with polish and it's super tough but flexible, and much more hard wearing than just shellac. I have strong nails anyway but I put my hands through the ringer, where are shellac full system on me looks worn after a week, my mm with shellac base and top looks in tip top shape. I will eventually get the mm topcoat just to compare the shine to shellac with the view to saving my shellac topcoat but until then im more than happy using mm and shellac. Its a great product!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thank you for all your replies, It sounds really good and something I can't afford to miss out on 💅 x

Can I just ask why you used mm with your shellac, was it for strength?

Yes it was for strength, I usually use cnd brisa lite smoothing gel, but I was looking for a bit more strength that it usually provides.
I'm planning on getting the mm top and bottom coats this week too.
Anna x

Can I just ask why you used mm with your shellac, was it for strength? I use structure gel with gelish with amazing results, so I'm guessing for me this product would just be used for mixing?

To those that use it for mixing only, have you found it works just as well with gelish /shellac base and top or better with full system?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to get it straight in my mind before buying it xx

Sharny you don't need to get it straight in your head you just need to get some and try it wink.

You can use it for anything you want to that is the beauty of it being so versatile, you could use it instead of your structure gel over the top of your foundation (or amazin base) you can use it over the top of gelish if you decide before top coat you need a bit more strength than you first thought , you can use it to mix with glitter for a custom gel polish you just have to mix it up and see what works for you:)

And however you choose to use it its a super cheap alternative to work alongside your existing system (cutting cost without cutting corners ) :)

Keep asking questions it's great way to learn and for everyone to share their knowledge with you and anyone else reading the post :)

Martin :)

Thanks Martin, I notice you said before that you can use it with tips, can you Aldo use it for short sculpts? I usually do this with structure gel and it works really well although is a bit runny, if this is stronger, it would be amazing!

Has anyone done any videos as yet? Xx

I've taken so long to get round to reading this thread and it took me ages, but this product looks amazing and I have just ordered the lot!

This could be the answer of all my coloured micas which I haven't got round to using much. When you mix them how much do you add, or do you just add until you feel the colour is right?

I've taken so long to get round to reading this thread and it took me ages, but this product looks amazing and I have just ordered the lot!

This could be the answer of all my coloured micas which I haven't got round to using much. When you mix them how much do you add, or do you just add until you feel the colour is right?

I haven't tried micas or additives yet. But I'd imagine with them, it's the same principle as glitter... keep going until you get the correct colour/amount of glitter. However, you're probably better off adding slightly less to your mix for your 1st layer so that you get a fab gel consistency and then adding a little more mica to the mix for better coverage on your second layer. Hope that makes sense lol

Xxx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

It's arrived :)
I am now off to play lol.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using SalonGeek mobile app

I haven't tried micas or additives yet. But I'd imagine with them, it's the same principle as glitter... keep going until you get the correct colour/amount of glitter. However, you're probably better off adding slightly less to your mix for your 1st layer so that you get a fab gel consistency and then adding a little more mica to the mix for better coverage on your second layer. Hope that makes sense lol

Xxx

Perfect sense thank you very much, I'm so excited for it to arrive, and I have two days off this week, guess what I'm going to be doing?

Righty my fellow megamixers, i have mixed a very fine dust eyeshadow, about 25% and done 3 thin coats.
It mixed very easily, applied very smoothly (apart from gel brush being a lil wide) and has a lovely finish.
It still has the iredescant (sp) two tone effect of blue and purple, although I couldn't pick it up on phone camera.

Please excuse the flooded bit, I sneezed and jogged my own hand :eek:

Edited to add.. I just checked BarryM website on DazzleDust and they are Mica Powders :)

Attachments

• 1393853860203.jpg
    1393853860203.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 465
  • 1393853872205.jpg
    1393853872205.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 466
Last edited:
Righty my fellow megamixers, i have mixed a very fine dust eyeshadow, about 25% and done 3 thin coats.
It mixed very easily, applied very smoothly (apart from gel brush being a lil wide) and has a lovely finish.
It still has the iredescant (sp) two tone effect of blue and purple, although I couldn't pick it up on phone camera.

Edited to add.. I just checked BarryM website on DazzleDust and they are Mica Powders :)

Oo nice colour, I am excited to finally get round to using my micas

Thank you MaisyMouse :)

I can now vouch for how strong this stuff is :( I've got a broken nail...
I am new to natural nail length and caught my left index fingernail on something, usually if I catch any nail growth it rips the whole lot off and back to the nail bed (papery thin nails) but I'm now sporting a VERY sharp jag as a tiny chunk broke off, I'm now going to test filing at the broken edge and possible lifting issues with removed capping.

Lastly I will add, how FU@£ING painful is it to have a solid nail ripped at! ... OUCH!!!!! lol

I love that colour! Where did you get the powders from? Its going to be an expensive year, I can tell.

Martin, any chance you will be at the Irish Beauty show in Dublin next weekend?

I love that colour! Where did you get the powders from? Its going to be an expensive year, I can tell.

I bought them from superdrug, they are the Barry M Dazzle Dust range, amazing on nails, never tried them on eyes ;)
If you go to www.barrym.com and then find the dazzle dusts they have MSDS on them :)

I have some of these, they are awfull o eyes but you've made them look amazing!

I have some of these, they are awfull o eyes but you've made them look amazing!

Thank you Boolou, I'm just doing my other hand in the green shimmer :)
I love the eyeshadow for nails ;)

Sent from my HTC Desire S using SalonGeek mobile app

The green shimmer and blue/purple Dazzle Dust mica powders
And as I tried also mixing a .004 silver holo glitter for my toes I also did my ring fingers so not to waste anything ;)

The über fine glitter mixed just as easily as the mica.

Edited to add... Ignore the range of nail lengths going on here, I'm a recovering nail chomper (started saving baby ones first about 4m ago) believe it or not but my nails are DOUBLE the length that they used to be :o
Embarrassing for a nail tech to admit!
Oh and yes the baby green on is a little (lot) crooked naturally ;)

Attachments

• 1393920164687.jpg
    1393920164687.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 330
Last edited:
Omg how quiet is an led lamp !!!
I purchased an led lamp to help speed up mm & ibx application, can't wait to play now lol
Anna

Latest posts

Back