Mehndi... Im having a go....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really Great Job!

OMG. I DO HENNA. TONS OF IT. Anyone who wants any informationon how to start, what to do, how to practice, where to purchase, blah,blah, blah... I will be soooo happy to hook you up!

I believe there is a guy in the UK who is a very good supplier with reliable fresh good staining henna!

You will LOVE this medium of art! Just please, please, PLEASE be wary of black henna. There is no such thing as black henna. It's old dead henna that won't dye anymore mixed with PPD... the ingredient found in black hair dye. It can make you a permanent scar of your "black henna" design.

I just now saw that Henna Spirit posted this thread... she's a good reliable henna supplier with a lot of good advice too. I have some of her patterns. They're beautiful!

This is one of mine with gold gilding on it.....

P3010006.jpg

Here is another with henna barely off the skin....

as2ndtimePB160006.jpg

And... here's manthing's foot! LOL!

rsP6130004.jpg

Bloody hell Leslie, these are really good !!

Do you use a stencil or do them freehand ? How do you get the gold bits ??

River

Absolutely Excellent, lets hope I get that good someday, fab.

That is definitely not a stencil, that is free hand and excellent free had at that.

WOW leslie they look fantastic!!

I am def going to learn this! :)

Leslee said:
OMG. I DO HENNA. TONS OF IT. Anyone who wants any informationon how to start, what to do, how to practice, where to purchase, blah,blah, blah... I will be soooo happy to hook you up!

I believe there is a guy in the UK who is a very good supplier with reliable fresh good staining henna!

You will LOVE this medium of art! Just please, please, PLEASE be wary of black henna. There is no such thing as black henna. It's old dead henna that won't dye anymore mixed with PPD... the ingredient found in black hair dye. It can make you a permanent scar of your "black henna" design.

I just now saw that Henna Spirit posted this thread... she's a good reliable henna supplier with a lot of good advice too. I have some of her patterns. They're beautiful!

This is one of mine with gold gilding on it.....

P3010006.jpg

Here is another with henna barely off the skin....

as2ndtimePB160006.jpg

And... here's manthing's foot! LOL!

rsP6130004.jpg

I bought a cone from Varsha hair and beauty at excel today, she is fab she did my wedding make up and some other occasions..

Leslie How do you think of the designs? thats what makes me curious of people's designs.. u have a line or dot or squiggle in every space.. er how? lol

FAB by the way.

I do them free-hand, but I do use patterns to look at... or work off of. I may change them up a bit, but I do start with an actual pattern or picture. I'm not really creative enough to think up my own patterns, but I can reproduce anything I see that I like.... and maybe incorporate bits and pieces of other things that I like into it.

I have spent literally HOURS and HOURS scouring the web for henna info and pix which I save, and use for patterns. There are sites that have free patterns too. I found the pattern for the gilded hand henna at www.mybindi.com. The really intricate hand that has henna paste on and off of it came from www.lumanessence.com. (She does absolutely beautiful work!) I *think* the Moroccan foot design is from Henna Spirit.com, and is for hands. I just adopted it for a foot. I've also bought ebooks of patterns. There are TONS of them.

If I have a pattern that I'm unfamiliar with, or is difficult, I sometimes use a washable fine point crayola marker to draw myself some guide lines to work off of. Celtic Knots are difficult without pre-drawn guidelines sometimes, until you get the hang of them.

The gold bits are gilding. It is made with Got2Be Hair Spiking Cement (which is water "resistant"), and glittery loose eye shadow of any color you like. I mix it to a similar consistency of the henna paste and apply it with a cone also. If it's too dry and sticky, I add a little Elmer's Glue Gel until it's the right consistency to work with using a cone.

Drawing on skin with Henna looks a LOT harder than it actually is, IMHO. The hard part isn't really drawing on the skin. The hard part is making your paste to be consistenly dark staining, and long lasting... AND to make it consistently useable. If it's not sifted well enough the little tiny bits of leaf veins and processing fuzz will clog your cones. If it's too thin it will spread. Too thick and it's miserable. Not enough Honey and it cracks and peels up when it dries on the skin. Too much and it takes forEVER to dry. Also it's using the right kind of henna for the design... Moroccan henna is great for doing fishbone, geometric designs, and lots of straight lines, but it sucks for doing lacy delicate curlies and flowers.... unless it's thinned down. Yemen, Iranian, and Indian hennas are great for the traditional curlies and lacy designs, but are difficult to use for fishbone unless made thicker. That kind of thing. The drawing is the EASY part for me! LOL!

Had no problems seeing them awesome work.
Sam

You make it sound so easy ...... (not !)

A friend of mine had some mendi done a couple of months ago and I was just stunned at how quick the woman did it ! She did a pattern on her foot which was really nice and lasted about 2 weeks as well as a pattern on her lower back. This pattern didn't come out so well though as the henna started to run and the design got smudged.

My greatest fear of doing something like this is that I'm not artistic at all, and once the henna touches the skin, I assume it starts staining. So if you mess up, well, the person is going to have to live with it for a while !

How did you do the white mendi ? I've never seen this before and it looks really nice !!!

River

Henna is very forgiving River. You mess up, you clean up your mess with a tooth pick and start over!

The white is gilding. It's made with glittery powder eye shadow and Got2Be Hair Spiking Cement.

I'll tell you why it didn't stain her back very well. (This is the part about henna tattoes that a lot of people really don't understand.) The tannin dye molecule in henna penetrates ONLY the layer of skin known as the stratum corneum, but will not penetrate any further down into the dermis or it would be a permanent tattoo. The stratum corneum layer is the exfoliatory layer of skin. (If you henna over a cut, and it gets into the dermis, you will have permanent henna the shape of the cut.)

It would stand to reason because of the way we use our hands and feet compared to anywhere else on the body... the hands and feet have a LOT more layers of stratum corneum than anywhere else on the body.

So, as an example.... henna has 100 layers of stratum corneum to stain down into on your hands or feet which makes it seem to look darker and last longer... whereas it may only have 15 layers of stratum corneum to stain through on your lower back. The tat will appear lighter, and won't seem like it lasts as long.

Think about looking through 1 sheet of red cellophone... compared to looking through 20 sheets of red cellophane. That's the difference in how henna is going to stain on your body depending on the layers of stratum. (If that makes any sense!)

Latest posts

Back