Melting Nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi i have had this problem with some of my clients. it only seems to be when they go on holiday, using certain sun creams, i think its not the product you are using it seems to be the top coat. i found that uv top coats are the worst. hope this helps.

It's the 'deet' content in the suncream that can cause enhancements to go and appear to be melting.

Guess I must have been very lucky then because I think I have used just about every sun cream available and never had a problem.(Yet) :)

Is it possibly not just the suncream?? Could it be when sun cream (with 'deet' in it) and something else is used together???

For example I don't use insect repellant or after-sun (just normal body moisturiser).
Is it possible it could be something like this??

Hi everyone,

The problem is a reaction between suncreams and UV (or anti yellowing) topcoats. Any other topcoat is fine.

The answer is quite simple, if you need to use an anti yellowing or UV topcoat or anything else that contains an optical brightener (you will know if it does because it 'glows' when outside or under a UV/Black Light) then after applying you will need to apply an ordinary top coat to protect the UV topcoat!

It is always a good idea to retail both to your clients so they can keep their nails bright and shiny.
I hope that helps!!

Georgie. xx

Hi everyone,
The problem is a reaction between suncreams and UV (or anti yellowing) topcoats. Any other topcoat is fine.

Oh so that might be it then, I have never used a uv top coat and have not had a problem. Thanks for that.:)

P.S thank you for fixing the quote box in my reply ValencianNails, I didn't know how!!:hug:

Hi , I did a thread about this recently as have had some trouble with melting topcoat myself.I use IBD products.After asking the girls on here and talking to an ibd rep , it seems to be suncream or insect repellant that causes topcoat to melt.Hope this helps:)

I have been reading the ingredients of suncreams avidly.....what is the chemical name for 'deet' as I haven't found it on any that I have looked at.......I am still convinced it's the acetates melt (dissolve) the top coats!

what is the chemical name for 'deet' as I haven't found it on any that I have looked at
I found these...

[SIZE=-1]DEET (chemical name, N,N-diethyl-meta-toluamide)

[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]DEET. DEET2 · Systematic name, N,N-diethyl-3-methylbenzamide

The ingredient would only appear on suncreams which contain anti-mosquito repellent.
[/SIZE]

I found these...

[SIZE=-1]DEET (chemical name, N,N-diethyl-meta-toluamide)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]DEET. DEET2 · Systematic name, N,N-diethyl-3-methylbenzamide[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]The ingredient would only appear on suncreams which contain anti-mosquito repellent.[/SIZE]
I will check out my creams again, the names do sound familiar though from my recent reading!

I'm going away in a couple of days (yippee) and to make sure I don't have this problem, I've bought some non-latex gloves for putting on suncream!!!

OK then here's one for you all, my mum just got back from Turkey & has said that all baring two of her nails melted. She said it was silly hot over there & has never had this problem before. She went to Tunisia last year & so did another client a few weeks back with no problems. All had NSI Glaze 'N' Go topcoat on? So why has this happened? :eek: Haven't seen them yet, mums nails that is, will tomorrow, can't say I'm looking forward to it, lol!!

OK then here's one for you all, my mum just got back from Turkey & has said that all baring two of her nails melted. She said it was silly hot over there & has never had this problem before. She went to Tunisia last year & so did another client a few weeks back with no problems. All had NSI Glaze 'N' Go topcoat on? So why has this happened? :eek: Haven't seen them yet, mums nails that is, will tomorrow, can't say I'm looking forward to it, lol!!
It'll be the deet content in her mosquito repellent OR in her suncream (if she had one to keep mozzies off)!

Thank goodness for this site, I have done just a search on melting nails - I had a client in yesterday who has been to Turkey last week 52 degrees heat and her calgel nails melted too. I have just rang Calgel and they have never come accross it before. This sure is an educational site, at least I have an explanation now. Thanks so much for raising this problem. xxx:hug:

Yep thats what happened to my mum's nails!! She was In Turkey about 10days ago!! Said she wasn't the only one out there that had this problem with L&P!! But the people with gel nails seemed fine!!

Sandi I asked my mum about the mosquito & suncream but she said she didn't really use them, naughty i know but she loves a tan!!! Even though I spray tanned her before she went, she just can't be dark enough, do keep telling her. :( So can't have been the deet, can it? Very strange. :eek:

Its been really interesting to read all the replies on this topic. Ive done 4 sets of l&p this week who are off to greece for 2 weeks and I have really drummed it into them to look after their nails with reference to sun tan creme etc so hopefully when they return in 2 weeks all will be fine but I have to say I cant stop thinking about them .

My client came in today, it was just the calycystal top coat that had melted not the gel underneath. Well, they say you learn something everyday. At least I know why now, and have taken all the advice on this thread and used it. Thanks for input guys. xx

Latest posts

Back