Melting Nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joanne7174

Reaction score
Ive just been to Tenerife for a weeks holiday and did my nails before leaving using Super Nail L&P was really pleased with them Ive been using this range for about 3 months and have had no problems with it at all. Whilst on holiday (about 3 days into the week ) my nails had a really sticky top coat to them and started to pick up dirt from every where !!! they looked awful. I had applied supernail anti yellowing top coat and it apprears it was just meltin in the heat. I took a white block away with me so was able to buff them down and apply just normal nail polish top coat and they didnt look too bad but was really disapointedf that this had happened. Glad I havent used this product on any clients . Would be really interested to hear if anyone has had any simular problems.:eek:

I'm a bit confused Joanne. In your profile you say no under nail geek, but you say you are glad you haven't used this product on any clients. Is this just a typo or are you a nail geek?

I have never heard of the Super Nail system. Is it a professional system?

Could it be the dreaded suncream with deet in that did the melting? Just a thought.

I had a client once who went somewhere very very very hot and the same happened to her nails. The answer seems to be to put a Glaze'n'Go (gel top coat) over the l&p.

I've heard of Super Nail systems, they do a lot of advertising etc in Prof Nail mags etc. Never tried them though.

Are Supernail backscratchers?

I'm a bit confused Joanne. In your profile you say no under nail geek, but you say you are glad you haven't used this product on any clients. Is this just a typo or are you a nail geek?

I have never heard of the Super Nail system. Is it a professional system?

i think it was an oversight that she didnt click nails, her profile lists her nail training.

i had a similar problem with my sister.she went to turkey and her nails actally metled all the way through.they went soft enough that she could wipe them off.my mum and my sisters mother in-law went back to turkey this year so because of what happened before i put a coat of nsi balance finish gel over the top and they were fine this time.but it worked.i presume its maybe something to do with acrylic being soakable and the gel not(just an idea) my sister in-law told me that some sun tan lotions have had a similar effect on her nails when shes in this country.wierd:confused:

Hi. I have been using the Super nail system for the last 3 years and I travel a lot to the warm countries and never had any problem at all. In my opinionit must be to do with the top coat used. I usualy apply just a normal polish top coat.

i think it was an oversight that she didnt click nails, her profile lists her nail training.
It may do so now, but I think it has been updated since I posted, because I checked again too.

Please don't get me wrong. I am not critzising, but it does make it easier to help a peep with more details. Rachel has shared a link and I will take a look.

Ta Rach. xx

i would say it was because of her suncream. they seem to contain something that doesnt agree with topcoats.

Personally I think it's more than just the deet, I really do think it has to do with the acetates in sun creams melting top coats. JMHO from what I have gleaned in my professional experience, as I haven't done any lab research lol!

Although it's only ever happened with top coats, not high shine l/p in my clients experience....I don't like using top coats in gereral as I really believe that they attract dirt and make enhancements look discoloured and mucky!

I really don't think it can be the suncream as I live in Tenerife and use suncream practically every day. I use Creative l&p and either buff to a shine or use super shiny and I have never had this problem, and nor have any of my clients some live here and some are holiday makers so I imagine they all use suncream at some time.

Thanks for yor replies . I dont unerstand the comments about No under nail geek ??? Have I done something wrong ??? Im a fully qualified nail tech so should I be doing something different? Ive only been on a couple of times. Im going to contact Supernail today about the product I used as they advertise it as beimg great for nails on holiday ! I will let you know the outcome.(The product is called Supervisor)

Thanks for yor replies . I dont unerstand the comments about No under nail geek ??? Have I done something wrong ??? Im a fully qualified nail tech so should I be doing something different? Ive only been on a couple of times. Im going to contact Supernail today about the product I used as they advertise it as beimg great for nails on holiday ! I will let you know the outcome.(The product is called Supervisor)
You haven't upset anyone:hug:. Your profile is nicely filled out now. Thanks and sorry for any misunderstanding. xx

Personally I think it's more than just the deet, I really do think it has to do with the acetates in sun creams melting top coats. JMHO from what I have gleaned in my professional experience, as I haven't done any lab research lol!

Although it's only ever happened with top coats, not high shine l/p in my clients experience....I don't like using top coats in gereral as I really believe that they attract dirt and make enhancements look discoloured and mucky!

100% AGREE it has happened a few times with clients on holiday, its the sun cream that does it, i always use a gel top coat like glaze and go or young nails finish, it works a treat and totaly protects the enhancements and also keeps them ultra glossy for weeks, its a must have........HTH

I really don't think it can be the sun cream as I live in Tenerife and use sun cream practically every day. I use Creative l&p and either buff to a shine or use super shiny and I have never had this problem, and nor have any of my clients some live here and some are holiday makers so I imagine they all use sun cream at some time.
It's the 'deet' content in the suncream that can cause enhancements to go and appear to be melting.

Thanks for your replies . I don't understand the comments about No under nail geek ??? Have I done something wrong ??? I'm a fully qualified nail tech so should I be doing something different? I've only been on a couple of times.
No worries Joanne, not checking the 'hair, skin or nail geek' box isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things :green:

It's the 'deet' content in the suncream that can cause enhancements to go and appear to be melting.

I agree, this happened to me on holiday a few years ago. I removed the top coat with some non acetone varnish remover, and they were fine after that.

I had a freind with the same problem. They felt rough and sticky.
I took down the surface of the acrylic and put on paint on white gel and gel top coat and they were fine for weeks after she got back home and until her appointment for her infil.

I think she said it was sun lotion too. I will ask her what make it was she used and if she still has problems if she changed brands of cream.

Latest posts

Back