Men only days?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redsadie

Reaction score
Hiya :),

I've been pondering this for a while now, and while I currently only offer spray tanning and waxing, I'm also going to be doing my acrylic nail foundation course with Creative at the end of August so will be able (I hope) to offer mani's and pedi's too. I want to learn massage too, but that'll come later next year. I think this would be a great idea as there is a women only spa and women only gyms in my area but nothing specifically for men.

I'm just pondering on this as I need to get my quals up together first, so maybe introduce it just before Christmas? But does anyone else offer this type of service (it would be during the day when other staff from the hair salon would be there) or have any idea's on how to go about researching this to see if it's viable?

Many thanks

Sarah. :hug: xx

Hiya!!

I am no help as I have never done this!! =)

BUT i think its a greatttt idea!! I think it would do well if promoted in the right way!

I think it would be really good tho babe for you aswell, prob abit of a challenge but really good!

Let me know how it goes!! =)

x x

Any service you can offer that fits in with what you already do and know is perfect! If you can offer treatments for men only or even certain times for men only you will certainly make them feel more welcome and comfortable as a lot of them dread coming into a salon full of women and they prefer to be not seen to go into a beauty salon or to a beautician.

So go for it and you will soon find out when it is best to offer a special time for men or women or if they dont mind at all.

I think there is some funny stories especially about men and massage but dont worry about it too much just make sure that someone knows where you are and what you are doing when you take a new client on. Once you know them it gets a lot easier!

Thanks for your replies guys :)

I'm going to be working in a hair salon so would pick my times very carefully to coincide with the times that the girls will be there ;)

By the time I get around to doing this I will hopefully have been able to give up my school hours job (or at least reduced the amount of days I work) so can be more flexible about the times/days I offer this service.

I was wondering about marketing this idea though, and thought if I made up some mini questionnaires/fliers and stood in the town on a Saturday handing them out to all the men I see, I perhaps could gauge the response.

I would put my business email address on there too so they don't feel they have to actually speak to a woman about it and they can be anonymous until they decided it was something they'd like to do. Men can be funny creatures, especially if it's about helping to enhance their appearance, it's almost a taboo subject with some men, don't you think? :)

I also have some customers already who I have asked their permission to email with a newsletter and promo's etc, so could mention it in these too.:)

Hi there,
it sounds as though you've got everything covered eg, safety aspect, so well done there! it sounds really good, I've tried to get my client's husbands to have some treatment but I only managed to get 1 which was ok. Good luck, hope things go really well for you :hug:

Thanks for your replies guys :)

I'm going to be working in a hair salon so would pick my times very carefully to coincide with the times that the girls will be there ;)

By the time I get around to doing this I will hopefully have been able to give up my school hours job (or at least reduced the amount of days I work) so can be more flexible about the times/days I offer this service.

I was wondering about marketing this idea though, and thought if I made up some mini questionnaires/fliers and stood in the town on a Saturday handing them out to all the men I see, I perhaps could gauge the response.

I would put my business email address on there too so they don't feel they have to actually speak to a woman about it and they can be anonymous until they decided it was something they'd like to do. Men can be funny creatures, especially if it's about helping to enhance their appearance, it's almost a taboo subject with some men, don't you think? :)

I also have some customers already who I have asked their permission to email with a newsletter and promo's etc, so could mention it in these too.:)

If you are specifically targeting men as clients try going round gyms and a lot of them will allow you to put a notice or card on the blackboard or counter so they can contact you directly.

I know with spraytanning it is a good idea to do a special agreed date with the gym where you offer an intro tan at a reduced rate and maybe you could do something similar with the massage? If you agree something with the gym that you could put up a wall and couch for a few hours and offer intro massages etc that would get some interest up and you would get to know the clients there and can tell them about the other treatments you offer? Its definetely worth a try :)

Well, I think your greatest hurdle is to get men into the salon the FIRST time. Guys have been told pretty much all of our lifes that it's "for girls only", so naturally we don't feel comfortable walking in to a salon full of women to get 'women's' services. Yeah, it's a stigma, but it's real for many men! I have heard of 'men's-only' nights at salons that help alleviate the feeling that the guys may be 'judged' by the ladies getting their nails done.

My first experience with salon services happened as a result of some clever advertising and a spontaneous reaction. We were walking by a nail salon and my wife noticed a "2 for 1 - Hers 'n His Special" sign in the window. She pulled me in 'to check prices' and signed us up - just like that! She told me "don't worry, you'll like it". I was relieved to find that the place was pretty quiet, so we sat down and I proceeded to enjoy a surprisingly wonderful treatment for my feet! It was an experience that I decided right then that I would repeat in the future. And, my wife liked the improvement to my feet as well!

Since then, I have received a number of pedicures and each one has been a great experience. And, being in the presence of women has not been the issue I thought it might be because they are all very supportive and encouraging. In fact, a few weeks ago, I was sitting next to a gal who was having her toes polished in a medium gray color (Recycle). I thought it looked rather nice and so I told her that I liked it on her. She thanked me for the compliment and suggested that I should give it a try. So, I did and it turned out looking pretty decent on me too. I went home and showed my wife and she liked it too, so I may have broken through another 'male stigma' about not wearing any type of cosmetics.

It's amazing what you can do when you get over your beleifs, and I for one am glad I took 'the chance' to try something outside of my normal comfort zone. Good luck on attracting men to your salon! I hope it works for you (men tend to tip better too!).

Go for it, Sarah,

I would certainly come to you if I was in your area.

:)

Thanks for replying Jake and welcome to the forum :)

Well, I think your greatest hurdle is to get men into the salon the FIRST time. You are so right about this, even my husband won't let me do a manicure on him! Guys have been told pretty much all of our lifes that it's "for girls only", so naturally we don't feel comfortable walking in to a salon full of women to get 'women's' services. Yeah, it's a stigma, but it's real for many men! I have heard of 'men's-only' nights at salons that help alleviate the feeling that the guys may be 'judged' by the ladies getting their nails done.

My first experience with salon services happened as a result of some clever advertising and a spontaneous reaction. We were walking by a nail salon and my wife noticed a "2 for 1 - Hers 'n His Special" Now that is clever advertising! I'll 'borrow' that one :green: sign in the window. She pulled me in 'to check prices' and signed us up - just like that! She told me "don't worry, you'll like it". I was relieved to find that the place was pretty quiet, so we sat down and I proceeded to enjoy a surprisingly wonderful treatment for my feet! It was an experience that I decided right then that I would repeat in the future. And, my wife liked the improvement to my feet as well!

Since then, I have received a number of pedicures and each one has been a great experience. Good for you, I don't see why it should be a women only thing And, being in the presence of women has not been the issue I thought it might be because they are all very supportive and encouraging. In fact, a few weeks ago, I was sitting next to a gal who was having her toes polished in a medium gray color (Recycle). I thought it looked rather nice and so I told her that I liked it on her. She thanked me for the compliment and suggested that I should give it a try. So, I did and it turned out looking pretty decent on me too. I went home and showed my wife and she liked it too, so I may have broken through another 'male stigma' about not wearing any type of cosmetics. Why aren't there many more men like you?! :)

It's amazing what you can do when you get over your beleifs, and I for one am glad I took 'the chance' to try something outside of my normal comfort zone. Good luck on attracting men to your salon! I hope it works for you (men tend to tip better too!).

Thanks so much for your words of experience and encouragement, I'm right on the advert now as I type :)

xx

How's this for a salon window ad?

2 for 1
Special Offer

“Hers & His”
Manicure or Pedicure

You choose!
Come inside to book your appointment

Am I missing anything?

xx

Hiya :),

I've been pondering this for a while now, and while I currently only offer spray tanning and waxing, I'm also going to be doing my acrylic nail foundation course with Creative at the end of August so will be able (I hope) to offer mani's and pedi's too. I want to learn massage too, but that'll come later next year. I think this would be a great idea as there is a women only spa and women only gyms in my area but nothing specifically for men.

I'm just pondering on this as I need to get my quals up together first, so maybe introduce it just before Christmas? But does anyone else offer this type of service (it would be during the day when other staff from the hair salon would be there) or have any idea's on how to go about researching this to see if it's viable?

Many thanks

Sarah. :hug: xx

If you need a hand, give me a shout :lol::lol: I think its a good idea !

Latest posts

Back