Messers & Pickers!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C&G Beauty

Reaction score
Hi All

I did a set of gels with a black tip for my sister the other night, they looked really nice however...........she came to me the next day to show me that they are lifting at the tip, Mmmm i wasn't happy. Anyway then i recieved a text from her saying could they be lifting as i 'gently' filed them last night? Well she had filed all the capping off!

She is a real messer and picker does anyone have this problem with any of their clients!

I must make a note to tell people not to file!

It happens. My aftercare cards tell them not to file. I can always tell when they do though!

Good point i must make up some after care cards, did you make your own or can you get a standardized one for gel nails from anywhere?

I make my own aftercare cards - I make sure I give one to my clients every single time. Even if they've had them before and say they have one I will still leave it on the table for them as then they can't say they couldn't find it.
Don't get me wrong people don't always follow them but it's nice to know I won't get any comments along the lines of 'You didn't tell me that'!
If you want a copy of mine for an example PM me your email address and I'll send it over when I get home tonight.
Kxx

I give an aftercare advice card to every new client and I also have one laminated on the wall right by where they sit, they often read it while their nails are in the lamp. (Just in case they don't read it fully when they get home.) I have tweaked a brilliant one sent to me my Gigi and have made it into an A5 booklet. HTH's x

Why shouldn't they file their nails, ladies? Have I missed something? I always teach my clients how to maintain the length of their nails which really helps them to avoid going for too long and breaking them. The important thing is HOW the client is filing. Must be at a 45º angle to the free edge not a blunt 90º angle.

I myself file my own Shellacked nails every 5 days or so to maintain the length of them or they get too long for me! My filing them does not make them peel. Why should filing them make them peel or cause any problem at all?

Are you thinking that 'capping' or 'sealing' the free edge with product stops your gel from peeling? It doesn't. We 'seal' or 'cap' the free edge to prevent shrinkage from the free edge whilst curing.

Why shouldn't they file their nails, ladies? Have I missed something? I always teach my clients how to maintain the length of their nails which really helps them to avoid going for too long and breaking them. The important thing is HOW the client is filing. Must be at a 45º angle to the free edge not a blunt 90º angle.

I myself file my own Shellacked nails every 5 days or so to maintain the length of them or they get too long for me! My filing them does not make them peel. Why should filing them make them peel or cause any problem at all?

Are you thinking that 'capping' or 'sealing' the free edge with product stops your gel from peeling? It doesn't. We 'seal' or 'cap' the free edge to prevent shrinkage from the free edge whilst curing.

Thanks for the clarification on this Gigi, I thought this was the case but didn't like to post it incase I was doing it all wrong....I really should learn to trust myself a bit more!
Kxx

Thanks for the clarification on this Gigi, I thought this was the case but didn't like to post it incase I was doing it all wrong....I really should learn to trust myself a bit more!
Kxx

Yes you should! :hug: "Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."

If colleges are teaching that gels shouldn't be filed or they will peel then they are wrong to do so.

My clients and I always worked as partners with their nails. I taught them how to do some fine home maintenance and they returned without problems to me for maintenance .. win win.

It's not a case of 'do em' and say adios is it? We all want trouble free maintenance appointments and clients who return regularly and happily to the salon ... clients are not stupid and perfectly capable of doing a little filing if their nail snags, breaks, gets out of shape or too long between appointments. We nail techs do not have to and indeed should not do it all and treat clients like they are incapable.

Last edited:

Ah, thanks for this! I thought that once Shellac had been applied it shouldn't be filed AT ALL - a lady broke her Shellac'ed nail yesterday and asked if she was okay to file, I explained that it may chip, I guess that's wrong? :o I shall reply back to her again :)

Ah, thanks for this! I thought that once Shellac had been applied it shouldn't be filed AT ALL - a lady broke her Shellac'ed nail yesterday and asked if she was okay to file, I explained that it may chip, I guess that's wrong? :o I shall reply back to her again :)

Look, there are certain things that she needs to know or she might chip it or make it peel.

She needs to use a smooth 240 grit professional file (retail sale for you) she needs to hold that file at a 45º angle to the free edge and file nice and gently not go at it like a 'fiddler on speed' ... in other words she needs to be shown and to be taught by YOU how to do it. Then she wont have problems. I would give her a hands on lesson and not explain over the phone.

[/B]

Look, there are certain things that she needs to know or she might chip it or make it peel.

She needs to use a smooth 240 grit professional file (retail sale for you) she needs to hold that file at a 45º angle to the free edge and file nice and gently not go at it like a 'fiddler on speed' ... in other words she needs to be shown and to be taught by YOU how to do it. Then she wont have problems. I would give her a hands on lesson and not explain over the phone.
Okie dokie, thanks! I'm unable to get to her today anyway and this was last night, I shall remember for next time I see her for an appointment though, like I say, it wasn't cause she was unhappy with the length, just cause the nail broke.

Yes i thought the same in fact i was told by my trainer that you shouldn't file the free edge after capping. Thanks for the advice

Latest posts

Back