Mica powders

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am finding it hard to get the micas to go on evenly over a white base, I have played around with them over a black base coat and a white coat and they go perfectly evenly over black but look patchy over the white. Does anyone have any advice.

I agree - I find it hard to get Cream Puff not to crinkle when doing on full nail. This causes me to wipe off some of pigment with IPA after curing top coat. Since tried over clearly pink and got really good results.

This is a colour I mixed with red, blue & white from Sam Biddles pigments. Konad on top is BioSculpture polish no. 99 - not best stamping polish but does contrast nicely ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1347422968.516676.jpg

Thank you they are lovely, what about the greens and blues, should I try and put them over the same colour base as the mica. As they look so different over a black base as opposed to the white base, I would like to see them with a pale base.

I would try and match up the base to the mica yes. For example I did a green mica over hotski, a lilac over purple purple etc. if you haven't got a matching colour (yellow for instance) I would try it over clearly pink or studio white. Hth x

Thanks for the advice I will have a play about at the weekend :D

omg these are so exciting!

how do you get that lovely blended look from one colour to another and not a distinct line?

has anyone any pictures doing more than two colours?

how do you get that lovely blended look from one colour to another and not a distinct line?

I overlap the colors when I scrub it in,

so the mica pigment came yesterday

i did a few practises on colour wheel and it looked awful

im using gelicure

applied base cured

then color layer and put pigment on top

i put it on with brush cured

and then top coat

i thought it looked like it hadnt cured properly and had a very dull flat slightly messy finish

any ideas what im doing wrong

and im not getting that lovely blended smooth look

You don't cure after applying the powder, you apply the topcoat over it then cure.
A little goes a long way with these powders so try not to put too much on, and use a soft brush to really smooth it.

thank you izzi im so silly lol

went and watched some youtube videos there

will post my results later

I still think it seems strange to apply something then not put their hand back in the lamp, and some of my clients automatically put their hand in the lamp after I apply Additives/powder/glitter, and I have to say...Topcoat first please !

It seems I am following you around Loveleelady!

I am desperate to create those neon nails!!

Has anyone got a link to true neon powders that they have tried and tested? I dont mean just bright or bold I need neon!

Attachments

• neon nails.jpg
    neon nails.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 26,002
I am finding it hard to get the micas to go on evenly over a white base, I have played around with them over a black base coat and a white coat and they go perfectly evenly over black but look patchy over the white. Does anyone have any advice.

I've been using sheek white or simply sheer (as thin as you possibly can to avoid warping or wrinkling) as my base. I found that you have to be very light handed when applying the powders. This avoids patchy areas, my 1st few attempts were awful...just keep playing bout with it.
I hoping to try some powder blending over the weekend. I'll post some pics when I've done them :)

Here's some 'pearlised powders' in 'hepcat' I done the other day. Not bad for my 1st attempt on a client!!!

Attachments

• 644434_444072085631259_350276060_n.jpg
    644434_444072085631259_350276060_n.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 450
Damn you geeks... More things I HAVE to buy. You are all evil ;)

I just have to add that i've just purchased some mica powders after reading these posts and seeing the pictures.. Beautiful work ladies. I love them all.. :Love:

I've been using sheek white or simply sheer (as thin as you possibly can to avoid warping or wrinkling) as my base. I found that you have to be very light handed when applying the powders. This avoids patchy areas, my 1st few attempts were awful...just keep playing bout with it.
I hoping to try some powder blending over the weekend. I'll post some pics when I've done them :)

Here's some 'pearlised powders' in 'hepcat' I done the other day. Not bad for my 1st attempt on a client!!!

They look great. I think I am finding that they go patchy where I first apply the brush, there's always a dark patch there does anyone have any ideas on how to stop this?

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1348575816.195269.jpg Barry m

Hi

Ive just got my cosmetic grade Mica from the colour shack and must say I love the colours, I did have problems though, I used the black fading into a copper although I made sure I covered it all with top coat (I used gelish Bashful as my 2 coat base) cured for 2 minutes but when I wiped the TIO bits of the mica came of as well- especially the black in the cuticle area, I also found it idnt give a hard cure, ( you could have scraped it off with your nail). I had just changed all my bulbs in my 36w uv lamps, anyone any suggestions . Thanks Xx

Are you applying the mica super, super thin. If anything like additives you'll only need the tiniest amount. This may also prevent it falling outwith your margin onto the skin, etc, meaning you'll be able to seal it with top coat x

Hi

Ive just got my cosmetic grade Mica from the colour shack and must say I love the colours, I did have problems though, I used the black fading into a copper although I made sure I covered it all with top coat (I used gelish Bashful as my 2 coat base) cured for 2 minutes but when I wiped the TIO bits of the mica came of as well- especially the black in the cuticle area, I also found it idnt give a hard cure, ( you could have scraped it off with your nail). I had just changed all my bulbs in my 36w uv lamps, anyone any suggestions . Thanks Xx

I could scrape off a bit on one nail also. Wonder why? I just buffed, TIO and reapplied a little mica then TIO.

Latest posts

Back