Midimist machine/Tan Solution Advice?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harlequin

Reaction score
Hi all

I recently purchased a HVLP TS10 MidiMist Machine from LA Tanning. Now I have only just recently qualified and I am still practising but I am looking for some advice.

I love the machine; its compact and lightweight and the feedback I've had for the LA Tan solution has been great however; I do seem to get a lot of runny bits when I spray. I don't think I'm too close to the client (I know I'm usually at least 8 inches away from the skin). Is it the spray that needs adjusting? Does any body have any advice on that (I don't know if its the same for all machines but there is a dial on the rear of the gun and clockwise reduces the amount of solution that's sprayed and anti clockwise increases it)?

Also the girls I sprayed were still tacky and wet half an hour after spraying. Is that normal?

The other thing is I'm getting orange hands and feet. i know I'm new but is there any way to stop this? I know there is a retail barrier cream but will moisturiser or vaseline over the fingernails and palms prevent the build up of tan in the creases etc?

Also the tan solutions have different percentages on the bottles; I get what this is for but I was never taught about this at college. LA Tan goes from 8% to 18%; I've been using 10% and 12% because I assumed most females would want to see a noticeable tan but has anyone used an 8% solution? Is it worthwhile have 6 different shades of tan or do you think as I am starting out the two I have will suffice?

And final final thing (sorry if this causes a debate or I'm asking too much) there is also a gold tan solution i got with my kit. I take it the gold is meant to shimmer? Would I be right in guessing that the gold tans are better for clients with lighter hair?

I'm new to this forum so I am sorry if these questions have been asked before. Thanks in advance for your help.

Caroline

Hi all

I recently purchased a HVLP TS10 MidiMist Machine from LA Tanning. Now I have only just recently qualified and I am still practising but I am looking for some advice.

I love the machine; its compact and lightweight and the feedback I've had for the LA Tan solution has been great however; I do seem to get a lot of runny bits when I spray. I don't think I'm too close to the client (I know I'm usually at least 8 inches away from the skin). Is it the spray that needs adjusting? Does any body have any advice on that (I don't know if its the same for all machines but there is a dial on the rear of the gun and clockwise reduces the amount of solution that's sprayed and anti clockwise increases it)?

Also the girls I sprayed were still tacky and wet half an hour after spraying. Is that normal?

The other thing is I'm getting orange hands and feet. i know I'm new but is there any way to stop this? I know there is a retail barrier cream but will moisturiser or vaseline over the fingernails and palms prevent the build up of tan in the creases etc?

Also the tan solutions have different percentages on the bottles; I get what this is for but I was never taught about this at college. LA Tan goes from 8% to 18%; I've been using 10% and 12% because I assumed most females would want to see a noticeable tan but has anyone used an 8% solution? Is it worthwhile have 6 different shades of tan or do you think as I am starting out the two I have will suffice?

And final final thing (sorry if this causes a debate or I'm asking too much) there is also a gold tan solution i got with my kit. I take it the gold is meant to shimmer? Would I be right in guessing that the gold tans are better for clients with lighter hair?

I'm new to this forum so I am sorry if these questions have been asked before. Thanks in advance for your help.

Caroline

i have not used La tan.
i trained with sienna x. used 8% and was a lovely colour, if you were doing a realy pale client 8% is a good one to use.
we were taught to use barrier cream on hands and feet and as we got to the feet we brought spray gun away so gives a lighter mist. some people can be allergic to petrollium jelly, and moisturiser i dont think works as well.
Also we were taught to use the hose to blow clients dry.
hope this helps? x

Hi;

Yep i was told I could use the hose to dry the clients but I was spraying three people one after the other so I assumed if the first client had waited 15minutes that she would have been dry by the time I'd finished the other two.

Thanks for your reply though; I'm googling everything right now because I wanna get better at this!

Caroline

I use la tan sometimes and yes it is a wetter tan, I always turn the nozzle down when I use this one. It does make my clients more tacky and takes longer to dry so don't worry it's not you it's just a wetter solution. I haven't tried any of the other % as I just use 18% for my reallly dark clients and they love it x

First you need to know approx how much solution your using for each tan.

If your using approx 50ml or less then your gun should be set correctly.

From the discription above I think your using a lot more than this and it is resulting in the tan running and taking a long time to dry.

I dont find my clients take that long to dry. They usually say that they are nearly dry when I've finished spraying them (one or 2 places that were last sprayed may still be damp) but I get them to stay in the tent and blow the warm air over them for a few minutes after I have finished spraying to ensure they are really dry and can dress without ruining their tan.

Have you been doing the couch roll test to check you have set the gun correctly?

I have the maximist 5008 but think the gun settings are similar.
I close mine fully then have a blob of nail polish at 12 o'clock. I turn the mark anti clockwise to just over a quater of a turn, to approx 8 o'clock then I do the couch roll test and adjust in teeny tiny twists if I need to.

Couch roll test is to set your gun in the approx area (like above) then holding couch roll inside tent (or somewher it is easy to clean the tan solution off - if you make a mess) spray a swipe of tan solution onto a piece of couch roll at the same distance and speed you would when you tan someone, if the front of the couch roll is tan coloured but the back of the couch roll is clean, dry and not wrinkled then your gun is set correctly - it only takes a teeny adjustment at this stage to make a difference in the amount of solution that comes out so take your time if you need to adjust the gun - remember right is tight and left is loose - so turn right to tighten and get less solution or left to loosen and get more solution.

I use approx 40-50ml per client and always have good results.

As for orange hands and feet - dont spray the hands and feet until last and when getting to wrists and ankles you should be twisting and flicking the gun away before releasing the trigger.
Hands and feet need very little solution to go a nice brown colour to match the rest of their tan (too much solution and they will go orange). I lightly mist over the hands and feet from further away than normal and always get a lovely colour. I also use a barrier cream and get clients to rub it onto knees, elbows, wrists and ankles (and anywhere else they have dry skin).

First you need to know approx how much solution your using for each tan.

If your using approx 50ml or less then your gun should be set correctly.

From the discription above I think your using a lot more than this and it is resulting in the tan running and taking a long time to dry.

I dont find my clients take that long to dry. They usually say that they are nearly dry when I've finished spraying them (one or 2 places that were last sprayed may still be damp) but I get them to stay in the tent and blow the warm air over them for a few minutes after I have finished spraying to ensure they are really dry and can dress without ruining their tan.

Have you been doing the couch roll test to check you have set the gun correctly?

I have the maximist 5008 but think the gun settings are similar.
I close mine fully then have a blob of nail polish at 12 o'clock. I turn the mark anti clockwise to just over a quater of a turn, to approx 8 o'clock then I do the couch roll test and adjust in teeny tiny twists if I need to.

Couch roll test is to set your gun in the approx area (like above) then holding couch roll inside tent (or somewher it is easy to clean the tan solution off - if you make a mess) spray a swipe of tan solution onto a piece of couch roll at the same distance and speed you would when you tan someone, if the front of the couch roll is tan coloured but the back of the couch roll is clean, dry and not wrinkled then your gun is set correctly - it only takes a teeny adjustment at this stage to make a difference in the amount of solution that comes out so take your time if you need to adjust the gun - remember right is tight and left is loose - so turn right to tighten and get less solution or left to loosen and get more solution.

I use approx 40-50ml per client and always have good results.

As for orange hands and feet - dont spray the hands and feet until last and when getting to wrists and ankles you should be twisting and flicking the gun away before releasing the trigger.
Hands and feet need very little solution to go a nice brown colour to match the rest of their tan (too much solution and they will go orange). I lightly mist over the hands and feet from further away than normal and always get a lovely colour. I also use a barrier cream and get clients to rub it onto knees, elbows, wrists and ankles (and anywhere else they have dry skin).

Hi
thanks for your reply this is really helpful. i had been told 50ml would do but I think I was using maybe 60ml. I totally get what you mean about teh hands/feet thing and thats the way i was taught in college but I always seem to get teh sides of the hands or go too far to the nails so the cuticles get clogged up :S this is why I thought vaseline over the fingertips might be the way to go until i get used to using the gun.

I will check the spray setting and do the couch roll test; I had never heard of that before but thats a great tip and I cannot thank you enough for it :)

x

If you get them to put their hands out infront of them and slightly close their fingers so they look like they are holding a big ball (I say to make their hands like a claw) then when you mist over quickly there will be no build up near the fingernails and you should have a fab colour.

I usually hold my gun about 6" from a client when I'm spraying but for the hands and feet I'm about 8" away and I do one quick u shape to cover the entire hand or foot and thats it.

Latest posts

Back