Might sound a bit strange!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadisonsMummy

Reaction score
hello,
im a student and currently doing coursework for working in beauty therapy! i have researched 3 treatments that i am not currently studying as asked! i origionally went with acrylic nail structure, hot stone therapy and indian head massage but have now changed acrylic nail structure for reflexology as i think i can make my report flow better as these treatments all involve chakra (if you see what i mean!!) :suprised:
i was just interested in other professionals or students opinions on these treatments and wether anybody had any positive or negitive opinions i can quote in to my coursework to make it relevent to working therapists! :biggrin:
and also if im doing the right thing or should have stuck with acrylic nail structure!lol!
thanks for your time
melissa
xx

Hi honey! Follow your own intuition is the best advice I can give :) do whatever makes you happy!

I work with the Chakras along with the Hot stone massage, and im also a Reiki Master. I love working with energies :)

Would you like to hear my views on the positives&negatives on the working point of it, or on the clients?x

Ooo ah, small font and hot pink all in one hit. I'm cross-eyed! :D

Your personal beliefs and what you want to do as a beauty therapist are so important in determining what you study. To that end, I would back Christine's comment about going with what makes you happy and if that means venturing out from the "norm" then so be it.

One of my electives in my beauty therapy course was shiatsu which I thoroughly enjoyed but had most of my classmates scratching their heads at me in confusion. However, I utilise this in my advanced facial treatments and it works brilliantly. I would say it is a fundamental part of my success in this area. Reiki works really well too.

Reflexology is, in my opinion, a wonderful addition to a BTs skills base but it really depends on what tradition you learn. For example, my studies were in the Eastern tradition as opposed to the Ayurvedic tradition (qi versus chakras) but, again, the outcome is not better/worse but what aligns with you.

I would recommend that you seek out practitioners in the areas you want to go in and experience them for yourself as a client. (That would include going and getting a set of nails done if you are still undecided). I find that this also helps the decision making process too.

Best of luck.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Christine, I'd love to read about your experiences.

sorry no pink this time as my daughter is insistant on sitting on my knee!lol
thank you ladies for your imput! christine, both sides of experience is interesting if you get some frr time!id be very greatful. velveteen thank you, can i quote you as saying 'Your personal beliefs and what you want to do as a beauty therapist are so important in determining what you study.' it would be a nice opening for my explanation for why i chose the 3 treatments. also, i like to use quotes from real therapists rather than books!(i actually quoted my tutor in my last piece of coursework lol) xx

Reiki - I find that working with energies alone is very healing to not only the client, but myself, as the energy flows through my body, into my client. I also find it so relaxing to do. Not to mention it is so cost effective! (I know money isn't everything... But it's making a living for ourselves huh?!)
Reiki heels everything, and the only negative thing is that it can be very draining carrying out more than 1-2 treatments per day.

Hot stone massage - I cannot emphasise enough how much clients love this form of massage! It has all the benefits of a relaxing massage, combined with the healing of energy (what more could you want?!) When I done my training I only really learned the basics of the Chakras, and leveling out the yin&yang in the body. I think that developing Reiki has huge benefits when carrying out this form of massage!
The negative sides to this, are that, there is a lot of preparation before the massage starts, there is a lot of cleaning to do afterwards, the hot stones are so heavy, so not good for mobile therapists (although I make do anyway! There is nothing worse than having a massage done, and then having to drive home!! :Scared:)

Reflexology - I am still doing my training in reflexology. But so far, i think it is, again, very cost effective! Clients can be absolutely wowed by what you are able to tell them about their body, just by touching their feet! It is a very relaxing and balancing treatment. And again, I think that having developed Reiki will have additional benefits to the allover treatment, really for the fact that clients will be coming in for so many reasons! Constipation, stress etc... And Reiki can direct energy through the feet to amplify the whole treatment!

Indian Head Massage - This treatment is absolutely divine. And yes I'm going to say it again, better with Reiki! :) this treatment is another very cost effective treatment, and clients absolutely love it! It is fantastic for combating stress, relieving headaches, or just because :)
The only downside to this treatment is that clients don't particularly like the greasy hair afterwards!!

I really hope all this info helps. I didn't want to write too much or too little! Let me know if there is any more info I can give you :) xxx

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back