Mind the bump!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

High Hopes

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
Im very new here and just wanted some advice/words of wisdom about a very loyal but seemingly difficult client :irked:

Im a mobile therapist and currently 6 months pregnant with my second baby. So far i have persisted with my couch when doing massage and body treatments but have decided that physically i cant carry it about anymore (its heavy even when im not pregnant!) So 2 weeks ago i sent out a newsletter to all my clients explaining this to them and asked anyone wanting massage or body treatments to come to me instead. Most were extremely supportive and even mentioned how they couldnt believe i hadnt done it sooner etc except one lady. . . . This lady has been loyal to me for the past two years booking every 4 weeks for a full body massage, we get on very well so i was surprised when her reaction was negative. she said that if that was the case she wouldnt use me anymore because she liked the luxuary of being able to go to bed immidiately after her treatment, i was very polite and said that was a real shame but that i would definately email her when ive had the baby to let her know when i would be out and about again and she said "my back will be in tatters by then, but hey ho"

Im not going to make allowances for one person because thats not fair on my other clients or myself !! But im unsure where to take it from here, should i email her when im ready to go back to work, or think myself lucky to be rid :rolleyes:

Thanks x

Don't take it to heart. Some people are pleasant as long as things go 'their' way.... then when things aren't going 'their' way........

By all means, send her a message when you're back on the road again.
But I wouldn't worry overmuch about it.
But her comment that was intended to inspire guilt in you was nasty and unecessary. I personally have no use for people like that.
As a woman herself, she should have understood the limitations and difficulties associated with pregnancy.

DEFINATELY do NOT continue to lug the table around just to suit her. Your health is more important than one client. The bigger you get, the more ungainly you will be. You don't need to have a tumble and put yourself and the baby at risk. I had a tumble once... NOT fun! TERRIBLY SCAREY:eek:

Giant hugs and don't worry about the lemons in the fruit salad.
Just put them to the side of the plate and hope they'll turn into apples later:lol:

:hug:

thank you :)
i knew she was being a bit unreasonable but its so easy to doubt yourself in this industry, im going to put it down to having a bad day :)

thanks again x

Don't worry about her so much:)
Some people are just like that, they want everything their way. Just give her a text when you are ready to go back to work. I'm sure she'll be happy to give you business again. If not, you were the lucky one to get rid of her:)
All you need to worry about now is yourself, so be careful, take it easy:hug::hug::hug:

Hi everyone!
she said "my back will be in tatters by then, but hey ho"
This may sound rude but she sounds like a self-centred cow to me.
It's not about her flippin' back, it's about you and your baby.
Yep - you're well rid of her and I wouldn't even bother contacting her again.
Good luck with your pregnancy and take care of yourself x

Well if her back is going to be in tatters by then she knows that she is not going to find anyone as good as you!
You and your wee baby are what is important. Too bad she's selfish and not happy. Bet you get her coming to you before the baby, or she'll want a home visit again after the baby. She knows you are good. xx

Well, while I entirely understand the sentiments here, look at it this way.

She is a client and you provide her with a service. If you can no longer provide her with that service then it is her perogative to go elsewhere. Obviously there was no need for her to say it in the way she did, but that's a reflection on her, not you - so don't take it personally.

It can be difficult because it is the nature of our job to get to know our clients well and be friendly, but it must always be remembered that they are clients and we provide a service. As lovely and loyal as some clients are, that cannot be expected, and it should not be taken personally if clients that were thought we were friendly with 'seemingly' let us down. Really, they have not, it is our expectations of them that has let us down.

Don't take this client personally - she is thinking of herself because the service she is buying is for herself. Now you can no longer provide it, then she may go elsewhere, or she may wait until you are in a position to provide it again. Either way, don't dwell on it. You need to put your needs and that of your baby first too. Look on it as maternity leave.

If I were in your position I would send another message (email or whatever format she sent hers to you), saying you are sorry that she is disappointed the you cannot continue to do home visits due to your progressing pregnancy... you will be offering them at home until..... and expect to return to work........and will inform her when you resume home visits in case she wishes to continue. etc etc. And then forget about it until such time as you do start up again, then email her again and let her contact you if she wants to.

In other words, rise above it, be professional and don't take it personally - because it isn't.

And good luck with the impending addition :)

Last edited:
Hya,

I'm a mobile too and now at 8 half months pregnant recently stopped carrying my beauty bed. The only arrangement I could offer was for them to meet me halfway and would BOTH carry the bed in.

BUT if you want to rest - you listen to your body and stop now.

There has been some cracking advice on here - and there comes a time when YOU are more important.

I only found out the reason why we can't lift stuff is because our bones are softer and you could very easily break a bone - so while she wants her back sorting - you could quite easily end up in hospital.

I know exactly how you feel - your so happy about the baby - you kind of expect your clients to be as happy for you. And when they are not you do take it to heart.

But - she will be back - I promise. But you will be wiser for it cos you know they don't always support you.

best of luck with the baby

Paula

xx

thanks for the support everyone,
its hard because im not particually big so at first i was like am i just making a drama, but my first baby came very early so im just gonna stick to my guns. After all clients will come and go.

yes im feeling much better now :) xx

Latest posts

Back