Mini nail rant-it wasn't Shellac!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicolaluise

Reaction score
Nothing huge but I booked to have my nails done at a very nice salon yesterday (my friend works there, hence me going). I knew they didn't do shellac but didn't know what they did use, in all honesty I didn't mind I just wanted a French power polish/gel system, any how i rang the salon and said I would like my nails doing today, I know you don't do shellac but would like your alternative in French please, the receptionist replied "yes we do shellac" and booked me in. When I got there it was OPI gel, this really peed me off!

Why do salons do this? I am totally happy with my nails, they look fab and I didn't care how much they cost, I just would like the receptionist to have said what the system was and not lied.

Am I wrong?

Sorry for the rant all :D xx

I think it's because a non-professional doesn't know the difference and salon people are don't have time to be explaining about 2/3 week polishes and all the different brands etc, and the non pros think it's all the same. So many professionals spend so much time debating gel/shellac polish on SG and it can get confusing, nevermind someone who has no industry experience who wants a 2/3week manicure and think that it's called Shellac. I'd say it's a pain in the ass for the tech trying to explain. I'm not saying that its right, but that's why I think it's done :D

Really, I think it's about riding on the coat tails. Everyone knows about shellac; it's become so popular it's used as a buzzword for that particular service.

It's not really difficult to say "we don't use shellac, we use *insert gel brand here*, which is a semi permanent gel polish. It's not shellac, but you can still have perfect colour for up to x weeks if you look after it".

Clients may be unaware of the differences but it's inexcusable that we as therapists are encouraging and not using it as an opportunity to educate our clients.

It's fraudulent! If it had been me, I tell the salon to mend their ways or risk a visit by Trading Standards.

It's no different to the horse meat scandal.

The fact that you told the receptionist you knew they didn't offer Shellac makes her response even more inexcusable. (!)

There is a woman who offers "shellac" in my area. I messaged her as her ad states shellac. I messaged her asking what products she used.

She sent me a message back stating she uses gelish and OPI but they are just like shellac. So I sent a message back stating so its not shellac and didn't get a message back.

There are so many people in my area offering "shellac" but its never CND shellac. Its always bluesky or another brand. I have seen someone advertise "shellac like polish" but it was a brand ive never heard of and she was advertising it for £5-8 per set!

Laura x

I am finding this a common problem where I live. My regular salon does not offer Shellac so I have visited a few other salons in the area. Every single one of them say yes they use CND shellac when I ask them when booking my appointment on the phone.

Three times I have gone into the salons and out comes out polish pro. ( To late to make an appointment elsewhere, and had things on that I needed nice nails)
I don't have anything against polish pro but it is not the CND Shellac they told me they use.

When I queried with the salon owner of one of the places why she lied to me on the phone she said that most people wouldn't know the difference esp as her staff keep the bottles facing away from the client. She actually couldn't understand why I was annoyed

I have been to a salon where they used genuine shellac but a different top and base coat. I never went there again because it chipped awfully. Then I went to a salon that used genuine shellac including top and base coat but not the correct lamp. The shellac didn't last. Ive finally found a salon that uses the full genuine shellac system. They also retail solar oil which Ive been using and my shellac has never lasted so well. I book in every two weeks with them now. Im such a shellac fan, I cant wait until Ive saved enough to buy the system myself.xxx

Latest posts

Back