Mirena coil experiences?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad I've seen this thread. I've been on the copper coil since February & I'm already booked in next week to have it removed. I was due to have it replaced by the mirena but now I think I've changed my mind.

I decided to try it as my sister has got on great with her mirena, so it's down to each individual body but I've had nothing but trouble. Constant bleeding for weeks upon weeks (more bleeding than not), painful abdomen so I had to have a scan to check my ovaries, my chin has been overtook by large spots (I didn't even think it was related until reading this thread). The only thing I do like is the convenience of it & not being controlled by hormones any longer, as I've been on the contraceptive pill since I was 13 but now it looks like that is what I will be going back onto now.

I had the mirena fitted in January, I've already been sterilised so its not for birth control at all.

I've had no probs at all, I did have serious concerns as I suffer from depression and the last thing I need is something to make it worse. But my dr reassured me and I went ahead.

So far so good, touch wood x

I've had the mirena for 3 years and its fantastic. Best decision I ever made.

As for the horror stories online - as we all know people are more likely to write a bad review than a good one.

Fitting was a breeze. I just relaxed and it was over and done with in a second. Ok it wasn't a pleasant experience but it wasn't agony or anything close.

I now bleed very lightly for 1-3 days every 26 days on the dot compared to bleeding very very heavy for 2-3 weeks whenever my body felt like it.

Everyone is different and what works for me might not for someone else. You need to remember you are putting a foreign object in your body with synthetic hormones in it so it is bound to have side effects as any contraceptive will have but it is trying them and finding what works for you.

I agree with the above posters, you are more likely to hear the bad than the good but I do think it is important to know what the possible side effects are as I found the dr to be very vague as have many I've spoken to, obviously it will react to each body differently however I do wonder if there is a pattern as to who suffers these side effects more (ie younger women or women who don't have children)
I wasn't aware of these side effects straight away as the crept in gradually and I always put it down to something else.

I had the mirena coil for 4 half years it was fantastic had it removed to try for my now 5 mth old and have just gone back to it!! Best thing I ever did aso had always suffered witg heavy painful periods and mood swings. No other pill etc suited me. It has helped me no end!!

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek

Ive just had mine taken out after a year and a half as me and my partner are trying for a baby. When I had it first in my body tried to reject it and for about 12hours I had excruciating pain that I can only compare to labour contractions, except it was constant whereas contractions come and go. It took me 2 hours to walk home from the doctors which is normally a 20 minute walk and by the end of the night I was ready to go down to A&E. That is the only issue I've had with it. Once the pain went I had no further probls with it at all. I loved that I didn't know it was there and could just forget about it. After having it out and having full on periods again I totally miss it lol

One of my good friends has it. She had the copper one previously and had a horrific time on it so changed. The first 4 months she said were not great, lots of spotting and pain but she says now she loves it. She hardly has periods anymore and what she does have are really light.

My doc talked to me about it before. I'm on the pill (microgynon) for really heavy periods and she said it might be a better option but after swapping about pills a few times I finally feel like this one is ok for me so I don't think I'm gonna change yet.

I've been to see my dr this morning and he confirmed that is it definitely possible that the coil could be causing all of the problems I've been having, he has given me his full support to have it removed, now have to make an appointment for removal. X

I have had the mirena coil for about 3 years or so. And my symptoms have never sub sided just got worse. I don't know how it feels to have it fitted as had it down while I was under anaesthetic. But I get the worst pains ever they feel like actually contractions. Get the worst shooting pains that run up my spine, down into my legs and through into where my ovaries are. I always get pains where my ovaries are always gone to GP and they just tell me it's nothing.
I have no sex drive what so ever. I never have energy to do anything. I havnt had a period or bled for the entire time. I occasionally get a brown discharge but nothing major just like spotting.
I always get thrush. When I get my coil pains its like I need to push an makes me need a number 2.
I get headaches nearly every day that won't go away with tablets. I had my red re tested and that's all fine.
I get horrible moods where I feel I could actually kill somebody then il all of a sudden be crying.
I have constant spots only in my chin which I'm certain it's to do with the coil.
I have rang up and having it removed on the 30th of this month.

I have had the mirena coil for about 3 years or so. And my symptoms have never sub sided just got worse. I don't know how it feels to have it fitted as had it down while I was under anaesthetic. But I get the worst pains ever they feel like actually contractions. Get the worst shooting pains that run up my spine, down into my legs and through into where my ovaries are. I always get pains where my ovaries are always gone to GP and they just tell me it's nothing.
I have no sex drive what so ever. I never have energy to do anything. I havnt had a period or bled for the entire time. I occasionally get a brown discharge but nothing major just like spotting.
I always get thrush. When I get my coil pains its like I need to push an makes me need a number 2.
I get headaches nearly every day that won't go away with tablets. I had my red re tested and that's all fine.
I get horrible moods where I feel I could actually kill somebody then il all of a sudden be crying.
I have constant spots only in my chin which I'm certain it's to do with the coil.
I have rang up and having it removed on the 30th of this month.

Sorry to hear you are also having problems, I will also be having mine out, I doubt I'll get an appointment for a few weeks, I will continue to comment on this thread as to how I feel following the removal I'd be really interested to know how you feel once yours is removed. Good luck with it. Xx

Sorry to hear you are also having problems, I will also be having mine out, I doubt I'll get an appointment for a few weeks, I will continue to comment on this thread as to how I feel following the removal I'd be really interested to know how you feel once yours is removed. Good luck with it. Xx

Thanks il sorry to hear you have ha problems after problem too. Yeah I'm definitely going to comment and let people know what I'm experiencing after having it removed if I feel better or end up with the Mirena crash. I do believe it works for some people but by far it seems the majority it's just hassle after hassle. It's also slightly scary as with regards to having no period. Surely that can't be much good for you body when you wish to want to have children and your young?

Where I live it's only certain docs that can do the procedure and I need tow Tom it around y busy work schedule of three jobs! But I am excited

Xx

Having no periods is bad for you, doctors recommend you have a minimum of 1 a year x

Hello,

I had a mirena coil... Mines got infected a few days after "implantation", and I was pretty ill with it...

Also, getting the local anaesthetic "up there" was bloody horrendous, and iv got a high pain threshold lol.

Saying that though, I had mines in for 3 years. then last year I started to get random pain in one of my ovaries, which I had so many scans etc for... Eventually they concluded that it was probably the coil, not sure why...

I had it taken out and haven't had any problems since...

But I wouldn't rule it out for the future.

Anyhow, just thought I'd give you my view :)

I have got the marina and have had it for 3 years.
I still get bleeding every month but only a little bit and was told I shouldn't even get a period.
I am very hormonal as well sometimes I get so angry at my partner that I literally want to rip his head off so I have to go for a walk to "cool off".
So I only have a year and a half till I have it removed so am going to wait till then as I'm sure before I know it my daughter will be 5.
What protection would people recommend instead.
Kayleigh
Xox

Thought I'd pop on and update you all. Went to have my mirena removed last night, nurse spent ages rummaging about and to no avail, despite precise notes from the scan she couldn't get it out. The threads have been cut too short when it was fitted (doctors mistake) and none of her 'implements' could get it, She called in the doctor and the pair of them spent a good 10 mins deciding what to do next. She didn't fill me full of confidence that the next step will work, but the doctor said it was worth a try, so been referred to the gynaecology department for them to "have a go" at removing it. So my diet is out the window I came home and ate a ridiculous amount of chocolate to make me feel better. I just want it out now :(

Thought I'd pop on and update you all. Went to have my mirena removed last night, nurse spent ages rummaging about and to no avail, despite precise notes from the scan she couldn't get it out. The threads have been cut too short when it was fitted (doctors mistake) and none of her 'implements' could get it, She called in the doctor and the pair of them spent a good 10 mins deciding what to do next. She didn't fill me full of confidence that the next step will work, but the doctor said it was worth a try, so been referred to the gynaecology department for them to "have a go" at removing it. So my diet is out the window I came home and ate a ridiculous amount of chocolate to make me feel better. I just want it out now :(

Oh no!!!! What a nightmare. Not what you want especially down there various people rummaging! Good luck & hope it's an easier time next time xx

Oh bless you, so sorry to hear what a nightmare you've had. I hope that you have a bit more luck next time, do you have an appointment? Please keep us all updated if your happy to do so. Xx

Thanks :) I've been given a prescription for the pill but I've told the doctor I want to give my body a break and a chance to get back to "normal" let my hormones settle, he wasn't in agreement and was concerned I'd have quite a heavy bleed but I'll just grin and bear it. it's my body and my choice. He seems more concerned about my periods, and asked if i could just rely on the pill..... I'm more concerned about accidentally falling pregnant (im forgetful) so told him that regardless of periods, either myself or my husband will be going to be sterilised. And I won't push my husband if he doesn't want to do it. We've tried the coil, it didn't work, I've tried the injection it didn't agree with me.

I don't have an appointment yet, it should come through in the next 2-3 weeks. As long as you don't mind the gory details ill keep you updated haha. (I might miss the gory bits mind you)

Thanks :) I've been given a prescription for the pill but I've told the doctor I want to give my body a break and a chance to get back to "normal" let my hormones settle, he wasn't in agreement and was concerned I'd have quite a heavy bleed but I'll just grin and bear it. it's my body and my choice. He seems more concerned about my periods, and asked if i could just rely on the pill..... I'm more concerned about accidentally falling pregnant (im forgetful) so told him that regardless of periods, either myself or my husband will be going to be sterilised. And I won't push my husband if he doesn't want to do it. We've tried the coil, it didn't work, I've tried the injection it didn't agree with me.

I don't have an appointment yet, it should come through in the next 2-3 weeks. As long as you don't mind the gory details ill keep you updated haha. (I might miss the gory bits mind you)

Sorry to hear this has happened... This was exactly my experience too.. I had to have mine surgically removed and shortly after diagnosed with endometriosis I'm certain this started everything for me!
It's not pleasant, but the sooner it's out the better
Good luck xx

Any news yet?
I'm due to have mine out next week on the 13th, nervous but intrigued to see what happens after. X

Latest posts

Back