MMA acrylic removal

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lilacs

Reaction score
I had a lady in a couple days ago who came in for acrylic removals and a full new set. (If anyone read an old thread of mine about a nail break then this is the same lady)
I replaced a pinky nail for her the week before so that came off nicely, however the remaining nails were a nightmare.
Would anyone charge extra to remove MMA acrylic due to the extra time it takes?
2 HOURS it took to get them off!! I wanted to be careful as she said that they were a little sore.
Any thoughts??

I wouldn't have removed them. I would have just re-balanced. MMA is a nightmere to get off, its safer to re-balance. biggrin:

I seen this idea on a different thread and thought it may be a good idea. Maybe charge per hour when removing.

I agree with Annemarie. No need to take them off. You can put gel over L & P and L & P over gel. Less trauma to the nail, less time for service. Win…win!

Can i ask how do you know if it's MMA acrylic?

Might be useful for me to know if I get anyone coming to me with this stuff on.

Thanks for all your advise ladies. I have not seen or heard from the client since I applied the new set. So she's either really happy so far or I won't see her again.
You will know if you come across MMA as its ridiculously difficult to file a barely soaks off.
Trust me, you will just know ;) x

I can understand the rebalancing solution BUT:

1. MMA is rigid. EMA is flexible. Therefore there are 2 products on the nail that are flexing at a different rate and therefore different pressures on the nail plate and nail bed.

2. There is a good chance that the condition of the nail under the MMA is very poor. If the nail is exposed due to service breakdown (which could occur due to the above) the client could blame you!

3. MMA usually has a relatively thick overlay. It takes a lot of buffing to thin it to a level that allows for a thin infill that blends into the nail plate

4. It can never be left 'natural' and always needs polish

I am not saying there will always be problems. I am just pointing out some potential problems

I can understand the rebalancing solution BUT:

1. MMA is rigid. EMA is flexible. Therefore there are 2 products on the nail that are flexing at a different rate and therefore different pressures on the nail plate and nail bed.

2. There is a good chance that the condition of the nail under the MMA is very poor. If the nail is exposed due to service breakdown (which could occur due to the above) the client could blame you!

3. MMA usually has a relatively thick overlay. It takes a lot of buffing to thin it to a level that allows for a thin infill that blends into the nail plate

4. It can never be left 'natural' and always needs polish

I am not saying there will always be problems. I am just pointing out some potential problems

Yes, I can see your point, do you have any suggestions on how you would deal with a MMA set?
I have only ever had to deal with 2 sets and I filed down the bulk and reduced the length quite a fair bit and re-balanced with my products.
Explained to the client the whats and whys and they were happy and have since been return clients.

Years ago I was asked to redo a friends nails but as I only trained in Gels I talked her in to having her l&Ps taken off, I was new to nails at the time and only just trained so thought that best, I was there for over 2 hours trying to remove her nails, didnt realise at the time that it must have been MMA as never really taught anything about MMA whilst training.

Anyway when I managed to remove all the product her nails were so thin like tissue paper, I could not believe it. As it took so long we didnt have the time to do much else so I left her with some solar oil and recommended her use some nail streghtners in the mean time. She never had her nails done again but used oil and streghtners and now has nice natural nails.

Yes I lost out but when I saw the damaage that had been done to her nails by the cheaper salons I told her best not to have them done again and see how they grow out.

I won't touch them if I think that ...!!!
I usually ask where they had them done and how they were filed, as usually if a drill was used its a give away as no way you can file with a normal even with a 180 grit file!! Or acetone we can buy , If this is the case I usually tell them to go back for a removal at the salon they had them put on and come back to me once nails are clear.
My main reason for this is the damage caused by the salon which put them on, I don't want the clients thinking its me taking the nails off ie giving me a bad rep.
I explain that it can take hrs for me to soak off as I don't know what they have on and the salon Which put them on will have the correct solution.
I also do advise them on the correct procedure for removal and that natural nail plate should not be filed and at the most lightly buffed to remove any oils from the nails.
I know from past that some salons just pull them off !!!
Omg I cringe at that thought !!!
I also NEVER work over someone else work for the same reason - you have no idea of what's underneath !!! But then that's what I was taught 13 yrs ago and have always stuck to.

The thought of them pulling them off makes me feel sick. For me its now so many years later I would not remove anything unless I put it on, the damage some of these salons cause I would not want to be blamed. I had mine done only once by a nail tech in a hair salon, never again, I had them done as a friend went there so I thought they would be ok but I was wrong, she drilled my nail and didnt like it when a pulled my hand away because she had gone so far it felt burnt from the drill. I do my nails now when I want them done, ok not easy and takes forever but at least I dont damage mine or anyone elses nails.

I know, I brought a drill to file the acrylic after a course on using them correctly but with the rep that some therapist have given them I never used it. Its only supposed to be used for the acrylic but so many use them on the nail plate !!!! - it just put me off using it.
I'd rather hand file tbh ... !!!

I won't touch them if I think that ...!!!
I usually ask where they had them done and how they were filed, as usually if a drill was used its a give away as no way you can file with a normal even with a 180 grit file!! Or acetone we can buy , If this is the case I usually tell them to go back for a removal at the salon they had them put on and come back to me once nails are clear.
My main reason for this is the damage caused by the salon which put them on, I don't want the clients thinking its me taking the nails off ie giving me a bad rep.
I explain that it can take hrs for me to soak off as I don't know what they have on and the salon Which put them on will have the correct solution.
I also do advise them on the correct procedure for removal and that natural nail plate should not be filed and at the most lightly buffed to remove any oils from the nails.
I know from past that some salons just pull them off !!!
Omg I cringe at that thought !!!
I also NEVER work over someone else work for the same reason - you have no idea of what's underneath !!! But then that's what I was taught 13 yrs ago and have always stuck to.

ekk I use a file but don't use MMA L&P , I use Young Nails L&P which is a great , well respected brand but it would still take me all day to file it with a 180 grit hand file. I would use a lower grit than that to refine the shape or rebalance.

Just because a drill is used doesn't make it a definite that undesirable products have been used.
I also wear a mask which some people use as more proof that MMA is used.
Not true either.

ugggggghhhhh I have a feeling these are the ones with the odd odour like a fishy smell??????????

Latest posts

Back