Mobile clients smoking

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They probably think hairdressers are into popular culture and accept smoking. Although some people like mobile so they can smoke in their own homes. Its very anti social now but I remember the days hairdressers would do at the chairs having a fag while the ladies were in perm rods and nail bars where you had an ash tray. When I was 16 I worked in tge jobcentre and I smoked while signing claimants on imagine that now! I no longer smoke but smoking has been replaced by promiscuity as socially acceptable.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
Might have just made this up but...
I thought that as soon as you step onto those premises it's a place of work therefore with today's laws no smoking is allowed. Especially indoors.
Same with carers and nurses that do home visits. Or anyone else for that matter.
As I say I'm not sure where I heard this or how true it is. But it would be worth looking into.

LolliDolli💋

Yes you are absolutely correct, as soon as you step inside the house it becomes a public place, for the no smoking laws that it

Reactions: Dnx
Yes you are absolutely correct, as soon as you step inside the house it becomes a public place, for the no smoking laws that it

This is not entirely true houses are exempt as are prisons and even the house of commons to name a few!

They probably think hairdressers are into popular culture and accept smoking. Although some people like mobile so they can smoke in their own homes. Its very anti social now but I remember the days hairdressers would do at the chairs having a fag while the ladies were in perm rods and nail bars where you had an ash tray. When I was 16 I worked in tge jobcentre and I smoked while signing claimants on imagine that now! I no longer smoke but smoking has been replaced by promiscuity as socially acceptable.

Regards smoking though, to the OP, I am lucky I don't have to put up with that as I own a business where it's against the law to smoke. Have you thought about doing the business for real so you don't have to put up with things like this?

As for me, I just smoke between clients and rely on Lynx and Polos to disguise it.

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I can understand why this would be not very nice. I am not sure how best to approach without upsetting your clients. If they are smoking as you are working then I would find this impossible, they could at least step outside or away from your working area, but then I guess some people feel entitled to do as they please in their own home :-/ forgive my ignorance/naivety, I am not a hairdresser but don't hairdressers disinfect brushes and tools between clients x

Omg I Hate smoking!!! I'm mobile and sometimes have 2 clients at one home. although no clients smoked while doing nails the other client would. So I put a post on fb saying that I do not work in an area with smoke and I put this on all new enquiry messages. Now other client goes outside or hav E cigarettes. My health is too important!

Slightly off issue I guess but still slightly relevant as the smell of smoke on tools was an issue for original poster - can someone answer me as to if it is standard to use fresh gowns and disinfect brushes and tools between clients? I always thought it was and if not am feeling yuck :-/

Very good point!!!
Beauty therapists would clean scissors, clippers etc between clients but do hairdressers clean their scissors, clippers, neck guards and brushes between clients???

The OP is talking about smoking in general, not what is being smoked.

This thread has been edited in view of it straying off topic, so can we please get this back on track now? Thanks.

Yes, hairdressers can clean tools between clients by using a spray cleaner. You would need to use a clean gown each time and wash it at the end of the day.

This thread has been edited in view of it straying off topic, so can we please get this back on track now? Thanks.
I think my question was relevant though and I am genuinely interested to get some answers? It doesn't solve the issue of passive smoking or the smell getting on to the OP s own clothing. However disinfecting tools and fresh gown per client (which was what I had believed to be standard) would surely solve the issue of brushes etc.. smelling of smoke in that scenario.
I would not want a client smoking as I was treating them, sometimes my apptd last 3-4 hours, there is no way they would even be able to step outside and smoke in this time, it is an unspoken rule but this is due to the type of treatment, where it is carried out and also I don't treat in people's own houses, I can't imagine saying to someone they can't smoke in their own home. I feel sorry for her and my best suggestion is to either ask them to wait until I had finished or to actually physically remove myself and equipment from the room if they did smoke.

We have a habbit of this lol

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Yes, hairdressers can clean tools between clients by using a spray cleaner. You would need to use a clean gown each time and wash it at the end of the day.

Thank you AcidPerm <3 that's what I hoped! My hairdresser uses a disinfectant in a jar and has a UV cabinet but I am in Italy. When I was in the UK I just assumed this was standard x

Regards smoking though, to the OP, I am lucky I don't have to put up with that as I own a business where it's against the law to smoke. Have you thought about doing the business for real so you don't have to put up with things like this?

As for me, I just smoke between clients and rely on Lynx and Polos to disguise it.

:)

By for real do you mean get a salon? Im not in a financial position that I can at the moment.
We're in the process of getting a house so maybe in the future.
I do love my job though. Have been mobile for 2 and a half years and could never go back to being employed.

Think I need to get separate gowns like somebody suggested. (I do have a separate one for certain clients so will just get a couple more)
And some stronger disinfectant spray. Or make sure they're at the end of the day so I can baracide straight away!
I don't think I'll ever feel comfortable telling somebody else what to do in their own home :-/ Unless I was pregnant then I would!
I always carry perfume, and mints cos I can taste it afterwards? Yak.
Glad its not just me! X

Slightly off issue I guess but still slightly relevant as the smell of smoke on tools was an issue for original poster - can someone answer me as to if it is standard to use fresh gowns and disinfect brushes and tools between clients? I always thought it was and if not am feeling yuck :-/

I disinfect all my tools at the end of the day and spray inbetween clients.
I use other disposable P.P.E to protect gowns and clients then wash them at the end of each day too x

I'm 31 weeks pregnant and recently went to a clients house (a small flat actually) and she was smoking around me. I asked her if she would mind going to the window because I felt a bit sick and she opened her window the smallest crack ever. Her boyfriend then showed up from work and the 2 of them smoked in the same room I was in. I was so annoyed the next time she asked for an appt I made her come to me.

Thats awful :-( you did right. You'd think as soon as you'd mentioned it they'd realise and apologise profusely and open all windows!
I would anyway! X

I disinfect all my tools at the end of the day and spray inbetween clients.
I use other disposable P.P.E to protect gowns and clients then wash them at the end of each day too x
Thank you! x

By for real do you mean get a salon? Im not in a financial position that I can at the moment.
We're in the process of getting a house so maybe in the future.
I do love my job though. Have been mobile for 2 and a half years and could never go back to being employed.

Think I need to get separate gowns like somebody suggested. (I do have a separate one for certain clients so will just get a couple more)
And some stronger disinfectant spray. Or make sure they're at the end of the day so I can baracide straight away!
I don't think I'll ever feel comfortable telling somebody else what to do in their own home :-/ Unless I was pregnant then I would!
I always carry perfume, and mints cos I can taste it afterwards? Yak.
Glad its not just me! X
I would struggle to ask someone not to smoke in their own home too!! Perhaps if they spark up sat in the chair you could remove the gown, stop what you are doing and move yourself from the room. Perhaps sounds a bit ott but if you stop what you are doing they might get the msg and its not nice for them to do that as you are carrying out treatment. :-(

I would struggle to ask someone not to smoke in their own home too!! Perhaps if they spark up sat in the chair you could remove the gown, stop what you are doing and move yourself from the room. Perhaps sounds a bit ott but if you stop what you are doing they might get the msg and its not nice for them to do that as you are carrying out treatment. :-(

Yeah I could remove the gown an leave cape/towels on as they get binned/ bagged up after anyway.
I also use a really big ghetto blaster bag with all my blowdrying equipment in could just take in what I need in a separate bag so that doesn't smell.

Or just start coughing dramatically when they spark up haha! X

I'm not a hairdresser and luckily don't have this issue as a nail tech. My other half is actually allergic to cigarette smoke - perhaps when you arrive before they spark up you could mention that you have recently been to the doctors where they found out you are allergic to something in cigarette smoke?

x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back