Mobile nail service - Should I buy a table and a set of chairs

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I've just opened my own mobile nail service and I'm not sure if I should buy a portable manicure table a pair of chairs.

I've had a few clients and we've sat at their dining room tables I think it might be a little bit more comfortable sitting at a manicure table though.

I was wondering what other mobile nail ladies do?

See my other thread re: costco;'s portable table for £11.00

I also have 2 Costco folding padded chairs (£11ish). Ikea also do the non-padded ones for about £7.00. Think this more or less does the job.

Maybe you'll get differing info from the other geeks?

ps. I don't like using clients tables for a couple of reasons, I dont' like sitting at an angle when working (I'm weird!) and also don't want to risk damaging their table.

x

You would be best to buy a portable table and chairs just incase your client does't have anywhere for you to carry out your treatments?

I bought mine from Focus £8.99 fold away table and its perfect just to stick in the boot of my car my chairs from Ikea £5.00 each again perfect for folding away.

Hope this helps :lol: x

I've done the same, I bought a small wooden folding table from poundstretcher for £12 and 2 x padded chairs from Argos for £8 each. I always take them with me just incase their table isn't a suitable size / shape, as you end up having to stretch over alot.

Also get some plastic cloth (the sort that you use on outdoor tables) to put on the floor below your table incase of spillages!:hug:

Dunelm Mill have a folding table and padded chairs, all are £6.99 each.

It was suggested to me to use the ironing board as it's not too wide and you can adjust the height on some as well.

See my other thread re: costco;'s portable table for £11.00

I also have 2 Costco folding padded chairs (£11ish). Ikea also do the non-padded ones for about £7.00. Think this more or less does the job.

Maybe you'll get differing info from the other geeks?

ps. I don't like using clients tables for a couple of reasons, I dont' like sitting at an angle when working (I'm weird!) and also don't want to risk damaging their table.

x

Not weird just professional :) how can we perform to the best of our ability by working at an angle? I done this for sooo long and was unhappy as I was taking longer as I was continously pulling clients arms around , my back got sore also my left arm had no where to rest when doing application.

I feel an ironing board is unprofessional and unsteady.

Yet it's really hard being mobile as me personally have so much to carry and I mean alot ,,, think minx, shellac , l&p, lamp, uv lamp, towels , couch roll, e,file, extension lead, tan tent and machine and equipment,,, plus alot more prob,,,,

These are all things that when you are salon /home based take for granted as they are all set up ready.

I think sometimes people mistake the word 'professional' for 'what looks the nicest'. That is fine is some people do not like the image of a person using a dining table or an ironing board etc, but calling a fellow tech 'unprofessional' because of it is grating.

For every person that thinks a dining table or ironing board is unprofessional there is a salon owner who thinks a home salon is unprofessional. This kind of attitude isnt helpful to our community of highly trained and qualified people.

To the OP, if your posture or your technique is suffering from angles and weird heights of furniture then by all means get a purpose bought table and chairs but dont just order one willy nilly without really thinking first. Make sure you choose one that is at a height suitable for you, play around on different heights and find what is best for your posture, then go looking with dimensions in mind.

Also make sure you find one that is STABLE. I know Katie mentioned ironing boards being a little unreliable sometimes but I have sat at some ghastly mobile tables that were horribly weak and feeble.

As this will be the table and chairs you will be using all the time its important it isnt uncomfy or creates bad posture.

As you get regular clients you will soon learn which ones have furniture you can work with and which don't, so you may not have to use your table at all appointments but it will be there if you do want it.

It is important to be comfortable, as when you are comfortable you can project yourself the best.

I agree with lisa about you need to have a good chair and be comfortable. I was not calling anyone unproffessional I was merley stating that I think in my opinion using an ironing board is unproffessional. I myself when I am out mobile use clients tables as I have no choice but as you say I know which clients tables chairs I can work with and will compensate by using pillow on chair etc,

I don't think it's a case of things looking nice and they can be called professional I think it's down to the whole package from how we deal with clients how we present ourselves the products we use the info we give/know and most important aswell the quality of our work. I would never answer telephone whilst with a client and have it on silent yet I have seen lots of techs with telephone at there ear also I think a uniform is a must, all these things go into calling onself a professional.

I bought a camping table from Argos originally but found it a little bit wide and flimsy. The one I bought from Costco is narrower and very sturdy, legs fold up like an ironing board.

I wouldn't use an ironing board with clients (have done with myself when I can't be bothered to get my table from the car) but they're not sturdy enough and wobble too much.

I just need to buy one of the spill proof table cloths now to put under the table when visiting clients. Any ideas where to get one? Have looked in the home aisles in the supermarket but not seen any. Think a trip to Dunelm is what's needed. x

I get mine from s2 they come in a pack disposable plastic back sheets like handsdown wipes but bigger I reuse mine a couple of times they come in pack of 50 I think. Have a look online type in plastic back sheets xx

I bought a camping table from Argos originally but found it a little bit wide and flimsy. The one I bought from Costco is narrower and very sturdy, legs fold up like an ironing board.

I wouldn't use an ironing board with clients (have done with myself when I can't be bothered to get my table from the car) but they're not sturdy enough and wobble too much.

I just need to buy one of the spill proof table cloths now to put under the table when visiting clients. Any ideas where to get one? Have looked in the home aisles in the supermarket but not seen any. Think a trip to Dunelm is what's needed. x

What about Aa shower curtain for under your table and chairs? Maybe too big though. You could get one from pound shop.

Thanks I bought a beautiful wooden fold away table and 2 wooden patio chairs with cushions from Weatherleys.

Latest posts

Back