Mobile work really getting me down

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lashed11

Reaction score
I have been mobile for 4 years now and it's starting to get me down. Just everything about it but I don't even know what I wanna do next so I'm stuck just now.

Firstly it's the lugging around, carrying a beauty bed / spray tan machine / nail kit all at once just isn't happening, and see when I have to climb the stairs with all this stuff it exhausts me! And my wax pot, I have had so many disasters. I will wax a client, then leave and I will make sure my wax pot is secure and flat in my car, but no matter how careful I am it ALWAYS spills everywhere! And every night I spend 1 hour heating it up and cleaning it again.

Secondly, I have clients texting me at 11pm and even though I don't reply until the morning it still gets to me. I feel like I'm constantly 'on edge'. And then when I do reply sometimes it takes them over a day to get back to me. Does anyone know what I mean? I feel quite lonely workin mobile too, I have nobody but salon geek to express my feelings to :(

Another thing that stresses me out is clients cancelling last minute, I had a bridal party recently and was meant to do 6 sets of lash extensions, and the night before the bride text me saying I would only be doing 2 sets. That's alot of money to lose...

Another problem I have is that alot of my clients live one hour away in this wee town, I try to group them all together once a week, but recently one client has been getting a bit 'attitude' with me if I'm not going there on the day of her choice. Infact last time she kicked up such a fuss I ended up inviting her to have her lashes done at my flat on my day off! I know I shouldn't have but she was really persistent with me and I felt like I had no other choice. And she underpaid me by £10, which I only noticed after she had left, and I just let it go.

The thing that gets to me the most is how I feel like some clients look down on me, or disrespect me. For instance, I'm trying to do their lashes and they are on the phone to someone or trying to text, I just find it rude. Fair enough speaking on the phone doesn't affect your lashes but I just find it rude. And one of my clients actually said to me the other day "are you going to uni? You need to go to uni or you will regret it" , as if to say I'm not doing anything with my life. The same client then asked me if I was going on holiday this year and when I replied saying yes I'm going to do voluntary work with animals in south Africa and then I'm going to travel around brazil for 5 weeks, she didn't say anything! She literally went silent and changed the subject. Now I can understand if she was a regular client who I see every 2 weeks she could be annoyed that she won't be able to have treatments done, but is is only the second time I have seen her this year!... I was really annoyed by this. I have had a really tough couple of years, last year my dad died of cancer and I was caring for him, it was horrific, but since then I have started to really think about what life is about, and i realised life is too short, so I decided if I wanna work hard and go travelling, nobody will stop me... And I work so hard, sometimes 7 days a week, i really do go the extra mile for my clients, and I save all of my money so I can travel and do what I need to do with my life, but this client was just trying to get me down. The majority of my clients are so happy for me because they know what iv been through, and they are such nice people, but I do get the odd one that completely brings me down and makes me wonder why I even bother.

Has anyone else felt like me being mobile? My friends tell me to get a job in a salon but I have been there and it's not for me, I need to work for myself, theres no doubt about it. But I'm honestly just feeling so fed up and I don't know what to do next and it's really getting me down.

Sorry for completely ranting but I would be interested to hear anyone's stories about mobile and where u went with your career afterwards. The thing with mobile is, once you have all of your clients and your busy you can't go anywhere else with it. I don't even care about the money anymore :( I was considering opening a salon but I don't know if that's right for me either, the whole coupon culture scares me...and there are so many salons in Edinburgh it's ridiculous....I would also like to be a product trainer for a company like espa, but these jobs just seem so hard to get, I have no experience. Ahh. I just don't know what to do anymore. But it's getting to the stage where I wake up and cry at the thought of work. I need a change, or something needs to change at least but I just don't know where to start.

Thanks for reading anyway :)

Im off out in a bit so cant reply just yet, but didnt want to read and run. So in the mean time im sending you a big (((hug))) and hoping you feel a wee bit better now you've had the chance to get some of how you feel off your chest lovey.

Love n hugs x x x

Aww thank you :) yeah I do feel a wee bit better having typed out off of that, I did moan alot...lol. It's nice to have this online community of people who understand because none of my friends or family do! Xx

yes i can relate to most of the above and ive only been full time mobile since april this year!
Two things keep me going
1 Money, you'll never earn as good money working for someone else. I have to pinch myself sometimes they money i can make i a week.

2 Previous experiences of horrible bitchy staff and bosses in the salon. Although i do get lonely sometimes out on the road alone.

Opening a salon i think would bring more stress but could be what your looking for to stretch yourself maybe?

Have you lost your love of the job?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek

I'm sorry to hear you are feeling like this. I hate mobile work too, its just not for me. Remember you are self mployed, and you are in control of your schedule. If a certain client is getting you down, then make sure you are too busy to fit them in ;)

Value yourself and your time. Being in the service industry does mean you will get the occasional no show etc, you just need to swallow it sometimes. Keep a list of clients who are repeat offenders and either avoid taking bookings from them or start taking a deposit from them.

Another option would be to look at premises?

In regards to the client who underpaid you, next time she books, tell her you think she made a mistake but she was £10 short, and you will get it from her at her next appointment. If she refuses or causes a fuss then tell you are sorry, but you can no longer take bookings from her, as your trust in her is damaged. I hope you start feeling better soon xx

Thanks for your replies guys :)

I think my problem is that I don't really value myself, and I'm so eager to please my clients constantly that I'm the one who ends up worse off, ie booking them on my day off. I can't decide about the salon thing. In some ways I think it would be alot easier, no travelling, no lugging around equipment and I feel that my clients would be more respectful. But then there's the rent and bills etc. I'm scared to open a salon because all I see in my emails every morning is deal sites for shellac etc. But to be fair I was scared to start mobile and I have done ok. It's just a horrible feeling beings "stuck" because I need to continue making money but it makes me unhappy, but I don't even know what I want to do!

I would say I have lost the love of mobile work. I enjoy beauty therapy, I enjoy interacting with my clients and making a difference, but the travelling and lugging around is kinda destroying it for me now, just the busier I get, the more stressful it is. And the traffic in Edinburgh is disgusting!

Also, I havnt put my prices up in 4 years. I know, I'm an idiot. But like I said, the self esteem issue is preventing me from doing it. I know that sounds silly because I have regulars that come back again and again, and it is something I'm working on. I do need to put them up, or at least charge for petrol when I'm driving 40miles to see clients... But I'm just scared.

Awk I dunno what to do! Xx

Sounds like you need a little 'you' time, take the evening off, turn your phone off have a nice bubble bath and glass of wine and chill out on the sofa with a box of chocolates. We forget that time to ourselves is so important.

I think you need to look into renting a room from a hairdresser or something like that, if mobile and salon work isn't for you then this seems like the next step. Does that seem do able?

As for 'attitude' clients, be 'busy' when they book, you just don't need people to make you feel like that. And sounds like your a good therapist as you're so busy that it'l be them loosing out on a good service.

As for travelling I am very jealous and sounds amazing. Just take lots of pics, enjoy it and tell us geeks all about it when your back :) xx

I think your right :) I find it kinda hard to switch off and relax, I need to learn!

I think renting a room could possibly be my next option, I'm going to start looking in to it. I have noticed though that alot of "rooms for rent" are just as expensive as renting an actual salon! Suppose the only way I will know if it's for me is by trying it. And it will be easier to have set hours, and more of a separation between my work / personal life. Because just now I feel like the two are merged into one. It's my day off today but I have been replying to clients all day and cleaning my stuff, and sitting moaning about it on salon geek because it bothers me that much! Lol.

I really appreciate the replies though, thank you :) Xxx

Not much more to add than whats already been said lovey (and you didnt moan or rant- we all need to say how we feel sometimes).

Ok well here goes... From your post i understand you need to continue to make money, like all of us to pay bills etc. so a radical change isn't on the cards just yet. Ok so things you may need to address.... Be strong and in control, don't let clients bully you, your business sweetie, your rules. Clearly define to yourself and your clients how, where and when your going to work. Try not to be having clients to your home on your day off, unfortunately there are people that if you give them an inch they'll take a mile.
With regards to people having an opinion on you, let them, put right what you have to, but smile, nod and remember the profit and benefits of working for yourself. And remember all the hard work you have put in to creating your own business- its something to be proud of.
Re the wax pot, get a plastic tub and line it with a carrier bag or bin bag, so any spillages you can just throw away rather than cleaning your car. There are also threads on here to read about how mobile therapists transport their wax pots.
Re your volunteering let your clients know in advance and get them booked in advance.
As for a salon its huge amounts of time, money, stress etc so think long and hard before you make a decision like that, especially if your going away for a while, same can go for room rental. However that doesn't mean you can't have a goal or dream or plan to work towards. None of us ever know whats round the corner lovey.
Lastly make a list, make some plans, be proactive, having your own business is something to be proud of, but we do sometimes need time to regroup and think about our next step and stay focussed.
Chin up lovey you love the work you do, you just need to perhaps change a few things to help you and your business run smoothly.

Hope i havent sounded too preachy just want you to get your mojo back a bit.

Love n hugs x x x

Oh you poor thing. I felt really sorry for you after reading your post, I can't offer any advice as such as I am just starting to pursue my dream of going mobile at 30 after 3 kids and endless office and shop jobs to fit in with my kids.
Sounds like you have had a hard time and have realised how precious life is. I would say you need to follow your heart and do what makes you happy whatever that may be.
Yes some things are hard but not impossible. Picture where you want to be then work back from there to get an idea of what it is you need to do to get there.
Enjoy your travels hun *hugs*xx

Sent from my GT-I9100P using SalonGeek

I think your right :) I find it kinda hard to switch off and relax, I need to learn!

I think renting a room could possibly be my next option, I'm going to start looking in to it. I have noticed though that alot of "rooms for rent" are just as expensive as renting an actual salon! Suppose the only way I will know if it's for me is by trying it. And it will be easier to have set hours, and more of a separation between my work / personal life. Because just now I feel like the two are merged into one. It's my day off today but I have been replying to clients all day and cleaning my stuff, and sitting moaning about it on salon geek because it bothers me that much! Lol.

I really appreciate the replies though, thank you :) Xxx

Aww bless you sweet - I am mobile hair and I totally know how you feel with regards to the loneliness - sometimes there is just no one to hav a little moan to so it makes you feel that it's only happening to you and that's just awful but keep your chin up and try to remember the positives about your job! You are skilled and you are clearly very busy which means you are rated by your clients even if you can't see how good you are yourself right now!!

It is hard to have time off and I to work on my days off because I guess it's money to pay the bills and noone wants to turn that away but what I try to do is at the beginning of the month schedule in one day (yes just one ) in the month where under no circumstances do I book anyone in as that is my relax day to get my own nails done and relax, have a few glasses of wine the night before and have a lie in if I want. Sometimes that one day gets me through the month!! Lol and any extra days I can sneak in in the weeks are a bonus!!

I really hope you feel better and if nothing else you always have us geeks to talk to if you need a chat :)

You've had some fab advice, nothing much more is add except get yourself a separate phone for work, I switch mine off and its amazing that people text and call so late!

Big hugs and remember your never alone on salon geek! Xxxxx

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using SalonGeek

I have been mobile for 4 years now and it's starting to get me down. Just everything about it but I don't even know what I wanna do next so I'm stuck just now.

Firstly it's the lugging around, carrying a beauty bed / spray tan machine / nail kit all at once just isn't happening, and see when I have to climb the stairs with all this stuff it exhausts me!
This on its own is a very good reason not to be mobile. I have total respect for mobile therapists!!!

And my wax pot, I have had so many disasters. I will wax a client, then leave and I will make sure my wax pot is secure and flat in my car, but no matter how careful I am it ALWAYS spills everywhere! And every night I spend 1 hour heating it up and cleaning it again.
You need to apply some lateral thought to this problem because that is another very good reason why you would be sick and tired of being mobile! Could you put the wax pot in a cool box maybe and pack it so it is wedged in nice and tight?

Secondly, I have clients texting me at 11pm and even though I don't reply until the morning it still gets to me. I feel like I'm constantly 'on edge'.
As has already been suggested have a dedicated phone for work, have a voicemail message requesting clients to leave a message and you will contact them before 10:00am the next morning (or whatever timescale suits you).

And then when I do reply sometimes it takes them over a day to get back to me.
When you leave your message, start putting a timescale on things. For example if someone wants an appointment in a week's time, advise them that they are booked in at the requested time and date and you will hold that appointment until 3:30 at which time the appointment will become 'open' again to prospective clients.

Does anyone know what I mean? I feel quite lonely workin mobile too, I have nobody but salon geek to express my feelings to :(

Another thing that stresses me out is clients cancelling last minute, I had a bridal party recently and was meant to do 6 sets of lash extensions, and the night before the bride text me saying I would only be doing 2 sets. That's alot of money to lose...
When booking an appointment for that many people you MUST take a non-refundable deposit.

Another problem I have is that alot of my clients live one hour away in this wee town, I try to group them all together once a week, but recently one client has been getting a bit 'attitude' with me if I'm not going there on the day of her choice. Infact last time she kicked up such a fuss I ended up inviting her to have her lashes done at my flat on my day off!
Advise clients like this that if they want you to make a special journey instead of the weekly journey this will invoke a £10.00 charge.

I know I shouldn't have but she was really persistent with me and I felt like I had no other choice. And she underpaid me by £10, which I only noticed after she had left, and I just let it go.
Check your payment in front of the client before she leaves. If it is £10.00 short say ' I would love to do your eyelashes for £30.00 instead of £40.00 but my accountant would not be happy' put your hand out for the missing £10.00 and smile.

The thing that gets to me the most is how I feel like some clients look down on me, or disrespect me. For instance, I'm trying to do their lashes and they are on the phone to someone or trying to text, I just find it rude. Fair enough speaking on the phone doesn't affect your lashes but I just find it rude.
When you arrive for the appointment and are setting up, advise the client you are going to be 10 minutes so if she has any important calls to make please do them now and that the phone needs to be on silent for the duration of the treatment.

And one of my clients actually said to me the other day "are you going to uni? You need to go to uni or you will regret it" , as if to say I'm not doing anything with my life. The same client then asked me if I was going on holiday this year and when I replied saying yes I'm going to do voluntary work with animals in south Africa and then I'm going to travel around brazil for 5 weeks, she didn't say anything! She literally went silent and changed the subject. Now I can understand if she was a regular client who I see every 2 weeks she could be annoyed that she won't be able to have treatments done, but is is only the second time I have seen her this year!... I was really annoyed by this. I have had a really tough couple of years, last year my dad died of cancer and I was caring for him, it was horrific, but since then I have started to really think about what life is about, and i realised life is too short, so I decided if I wanna work hard and go travelling, nobody will stop me... And I work so hard, sometimes 7 days a week, i really do go the extra mile for my clients, and I save all of my money so I can travel and do what I need to do with my life, but this client was just trying to get me down. The majority of my clients are so happy for me because they know what iv been through, and they are such nice people, but I do get the odd one that completely brings me down and makes me wonder why I even bother.
If the majority of your clients are lovely and one or two are mean-spirited and jealous of your achievements and travels either sack them or let it go over your head. What does their opinion matter to you??

Has anyone else felt like me being mobile? My friends tell me to get a job in a salon but I have been there and it's not for me, I need to work for myself, theres no doubt about it. But I'm honestly just feeling so fed up and I don't know what to do next and it's really getting me down.

Sorry for completely ranting but I would be interested to hear anyone's stories about mobile and where u went with your career afterwards. The thing with mobile is, once you have all of your clients and your busy you can't go anywhere else with it. I don't even care about the money anymore :( I was considering opening a salon but I don't know if that's right for me either, the whole coupon culture scares me...and there are so many salons in Edinburgh it's ridiculous....I would also like to be a product trainer for a company like espa, but these jobs just seem so hard to get, I have no experience. Ahh. I just don't know what to do anymore. But it's getting to the stage where I wake up and cry at the thought of work. I need a change, or something needs to change at least but I just don't know where to start.

I am feeling that the problem is your inability to assert yourself and take control over your clients and your business.

If you could fix this you would most likely be able to take pleasure in doing your job again.

You really need to take a look at your business and your approach to it.

It is yours. You manage it. You control it.

And then you will love it again.

Good luck lovely xxx

Aww thanks everyone for taking the time to read and reply to me :)

Your all so right, it's my business, and the reason I wanted to have my own business is so I can work the hours etc I want (and a few other reasons), but I'm not really taking control by saying yes all the time, when I'm allowed to say no!

You know what, I think a separate phone might be a good idea actually, I'm the one making myself accessible at all hours, I need to sort myself out and I think having a separate phone will help to separate my work and personal life a bit more. I just need to take control because at the end of the day it is my business so I'm allowed to. I need to toughen up a bit.

I'm really grateful that you guys have replied, I didn't really expect such a good response, thanks :)

When I'm on my travels it will give me time to really think about what I want to do and I will be able to breathe again. In the mean time I'm setting myself days / evenings when I'm available for work and I will get myself another number for clients.

I also think I need to look for better transportation ideas, for carrying my stuff. Maybe a trolley or something. Need to make things easier for myself I think xxx

"don't get so caught up treading water that you forget how much you enjoy swimming"

Take some time out, give yourself some credit. You are doing an amazing job! Just do what suits you and everyone else can step back n give u some space x
Make time for some a hobby or something you want to do.
Once you chill a bit, you will know what you want to do next.
Keep smiling and remember how far you have come xxx

I've never done mobile but I have done a few pamper parties and that was bad enough so hats off to all you mobile beauticians! I get texts at all hours but unless I'm busy I just reply. I'm getting used to it now. Think of how great you are making people feel (even if they don't always show it) and the money! Lol! Chin up! Xxx

I know exactly how you feel I've been mobile for a couple of years and it takes it toll! I also relate to the lonely part! I decided at the beginning of the year to make a stand and set hours and stick to them, and I also take every Sunday off now and my phone is switched off while I am closed, you need to do this you need some me time, I've also gradually sacked the clients I dislike that treat me like an assistant. I'm hoping to buy a house and put a log cabin in it so I can set up a little business from home, but the house I wanted fell through today so feeling a little down, but hey something will come up! You've got to be strong Hun take control it's your business don't let your clients run you into the ground! Believe me I've been there done it people are fickle your there best therapist one week and the next they are having there nails done at the local nss, but oh well life's too short, enjoy it and don't worry about things!

Thanks for the advice guys, it's good to hear from you all, I feel less alone now :)

I haven't ever binned a client before (well apart from one pervert), because I have been too scare about what they might say about me to their friends. I think I forget that it's actually my business, and that I don't have to do anything I don't want to do. I suppose I still have the panic in the back of my head that if I don't please everyone then I won't pay my bills. Whereas if you work employed in a salon, you get paid every month regardless of what clients you see.

I think I going to go to Sally's and check out this new beauty trolley thingy they have. I need it to be less of a faff! Less faff = less stress.

What iv realised is I struggle saying no if it's face to face, I just feel really pressurised into pleasing my clients on the spot, so I tend to agree to anything if they ask me face to face. Whereas if they call or text me I find it easier to say no. Again it comes back to self esteem. If I'm going to ever have a salon I really need to sort this issue out now!

Anyone have any tips on building self esteem? Xxx

You know what I am exactly the same feel free to MSG me if u want a chat I have been in the beauty industry for 11 years self employed for the last 4 years and mobile for the last 3 years, it's literally like u have taken every word and situation Straight out of my head, unfortunately I will prob have to start again as I had a very good client base then through illness with my dad, a car accident where I was injured ( cld of been worse ) and now illness with my mum I have lost a lot of clients, I found it easier (hope this makes sense) to imagine or pretend u have a boss which in effect you do every bill u have to pay, or your bank manager etc see those as bosses the whole time I acted like I was working for someone like in a salon it made things easier all around I'm hoping that through the car accident I can claim earnings I've lost ( but I don't hold out much hope ) myself and my bf will eventually have a place of our own and I am going to convert one of the rooms into a little home salon at the moment who knows what the future holds, do what makes YOU happy see the world I know this sounds harsh but the one saying my uncle (rip) and my dad had in common was life is short your a long time dead ( they said it light heatedly ) hth x

i soo feel for you. i've started at home in a converted shed. (could this be an option for you:?:)...i love it as i dont drive atm so cant do mobile work as its a lot of effort. i also feel a lil bit disconected from the world sometimes :sad: as its just me and a few old work collegues to rant with.
do you charge a call out fee for your clients:?:
i also think you should get a seperate mobile for your work, leave it in another room if you dont feel comfortable turning it off. i leave mine downstairs and only check it when i'm 'working'
if working from home isn't for you have you thought about renting a room in an established salon in town:?:

Latest posts

Back