Mobile work really getting me down

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i soo feel for you. i've started at home in a converted shed. (could this be an option for you:?:)...i love it as i dont drive atm so cant do mobile work as its a lot of effort. i also feel a lil bit disconected from the world sometimes :sad: as its just me and a few old work collegues to rant with.
do you charge a call out fee for your clients:?:
i also think you should get a seperate mobile for your work, leave it in another room if you dont feel comfortable turning it off. i leave mine downstairs and only check it when i'm 'working'
if working from home isn't for you have you thought about renting a room in an established salon in town:?:

Hey!

No that's the thing, I don't charge a call out fee..l but I know I need to. But I wouldn't even know what to charge!

I did purchase a new mobile just for work today, I'm going to switch it off when I'm not working, I think that would help alot...

I havnt put my prices up at all since I started 4 years ago, and now I'm thinking it's time I take control, but I don't know how to go about doing it... Or how much to Put them up by!

I feel like I'm just starting out again, with getting my work phone and redoing my prices, I'm kinda nervous about what my clients will say about my new prices, but at the same time I will feel alot better about my business if I do this and gain the control back.

Does anyone have any advice re call out charge? And does anyone charge for parking, I have to pay and display quite alot at clients in town, but I never charge them...that's silly isn't it?

So may things to consider ahhhh xxx

Hi hon, I totally get where you are coming from, I did mobile for a while but it absolutely did my head in, I now rent a room in a nail salon....would renting a room somewhere be an option for you, you would still be your own boss, you could still set your own hours, the salon may even be happy to take bookings for you, you would have other therapists around to have a whinge to and it would probably work out not much more expensive than your petrol/spilt wax cleaning products ;)...the thought of owning my own salon terrifies me but this is a happy compromise.
Also maybe when you told the girl about your holiday plans (which sound amazing BTW) she went quiet because she thought "Holy crap I cant beat that with my weekend to Ibiza).......
xxx

Hi hon, I totally get where you are coming from, I did mobile for a while but it absolutely did my head in, I now rent a room in a nail salon....would renting a room somewhere be an option for you, you would still be your own boss, you could still set your own hours, the salon may even be happy to take bookings for you, you would have other therapists around to have a whinge to and it would probably work out not much more expensive than your petrol/spilt wax cleaning products ;)...the thought of owning my own salon terrifies me but this is a happy compromise.
Also maybe when you told the girl about your holiday plans (which sound amazing BTW) she went quiet because she thought "Holy crap I cant beat that with my weekend to Ibiza).......
xxx

Hey,

I think when I come back from my travels I will def consider renting a room, I quite like the idea of working alongside people again, it's so lonely being mobile! You really miss seeing people every day and having general girl banter...

I know the client that didn't mention anything about my holiday, she was so funny with me, she is like 45 and was going on and on about how amazing her daughter is going to uni and getting an education, and that's when she dropped in the sly "ru going to uni? U will regret it if you don't", and then that's when she asked about holidays, probably expecting me to say I'm not going anywhere since I'm 'not doing anything' with my life, and she changed the subject, it was so odd! She couldn't even fake a "oh that will be nice" it was like I said something wrong! Bloody ridiculous! Xxx

Hey,

I think when I come back from my travels I will def consider renting a room, I quite like the idea of working alongside people again, it's so lonely being mobile! You really miss seeing people every day and having general girl banter...

I know the client that didn't mention anything about my holiday, she was so funny with me, she is like 45 and was going on and on about how amazing her daughter is going to uni and getting an education, and that's when she dropped in the sly "ru going to uni? U will regret it if you don't", and then that's when she asked about holidays, probably expecting me to say I'm not going anywhere since I'm 'not doing anything' with my life, and she changed the subject, it was so odd! She couldn't even fake a "oh that will be nice" it was like I said something wrong! Bloody ridiculous! Xxx

Reminds me of one of my clients, she mentioned they were scaling down hols earlier this year and 'Just' going to Antigua, I replied lovely (as you do) what's the weather like there at that time of year? She said "well, you know what its like in Florida at the mo?" Me "err no, never been there" Client "What!!?? Really? Everybody goes to Florida!" She could not believe id never been, she just lives on another level, I just let it wash over me!

I too work from home in converted summer house, I love it, unfortunately I still work part time in office with a bunch of horrible woman and hoping I'll be made redundant next year.

Well done for getting separate phone, definitely put prices up, good clients will stay, the ones that go will be the pain in butt ones!

We are all here for each other, share the love!! Lol ;) xx

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using SalonGeek

Try and think of the positives at least when you are mobile and a client makes a nasty comment you can pack up and leave. It's when you work with a person all day and they can't help themselves putting you down or nasty comments etc.met a few of them along the way and work with people like that now. Plus lots of women together can be a nightmare all them hormones haha Not had any experience in a salon environment tho so maybe that's different. I work in an nhsjob in the day and would love to be mobile all day!!

Hey again!

You all have such valid points, thank you :) I'm upset today again... I text all of my clients my new number last night... And then I sent a text (like i do every few weeks) to all of my clients who are 30 miles away to let them know the dates I'm in their area over the next few weeks. Up until now everyone has always commented that its really helpful for them to know in advance, and "remember to include me", but I have just relieved a reply from one client who I havnt seem in about a year saying "STOP". You know she you subscribe to something then don't want anymore messages and you say "STOP" in a text? That's all she said! I thought how bloody rude and harsh! There is no need for people to be so rude! All she had to do was reply saying "don't worry I will contact you if I need anything, please leave me out of the group texts from now on"... She just made me feel so crap! I have had other replies of clients booking in for these dates so I know it is a useful method I'm using here. I just can't believe how rude some people can be. I have just deleted her as a contact so I won't ever contact her again. She was also a client who complained when She wanted her lashes done, and it was 4 weeks after the initial half set, so she had none left but for some reason assumed she was still getting an infill! And kicked up a fuss when I told her it was a half set. So I'm assuming she holds a grudge with me after that.

I suppose you can't please everyone, but this stuff does get me down. And I was actually looking forward to seeing some clients tonight and doing their lashes but not u just feel on a downer like they all think I'm crap or something.

Sorry for my continuous rant and thanks for your support everyone xx

Hey again!

You all have such valid points, thank you :) I'm upset today again... I text all of my clients my new number last night... And then I sent a text (like i do every few weeks) to all of my clients who are 30 miles away to let them know the dates I'm in their area over the next few weeks. Up until now everyone has always commented that its really helpful for them to know in advance, and "remember to include me", but I have just relieved a reply from one client who I havnt seem in about a year saying "STOP". You know she you subscribe to something then don't want anymore messages and you say "STOP" in a text? That's all she said! I thought how bloody rude and harsh! There is no need for people to be so rude! All she had to do was reply saying "don't worry I will contact you if I need anything, please leave me out of the group texts from now on"... She just made me feel so crap! I have had other replies of clients booking in for these dates so I know it is a useful method I'm using here. I just can't believe how rude some people can be. I have just deleted her as a contact so I won't ever contact her again. She was also a client who complained when She wanted her lashes done, and it was 4 weeks after the initial half set, so she had none left but for some reason assumed she was still getting an infill! And kicked up a fuss when I told her it was a half set. So I'm assuming she holds a grudge with me after that.

I suppose you can't please everyone, but this stuff does get me down. And I was actually looking forward to seeing some clients tonight and doing their lashes but not u just feel on a downer like they all think I'm crap or something.

Sorry for my continuous rant and thanks for your support everyone xx

Merelle!!!

Lovely girl you have got to toughen up or you are just not going to survive this business.

Remember this - clients are fickle!!

They stop coming for any amount of reasons and it may be nothing whatsoever to do with you.

They owe us nothing.

And although you thought it was rude of her to write STOP, it is possible that she thinks the text message is computer generated and you are sending hundreds of them.

What you could do is send another text and say Thank you for your text. I have removed your from my mailing list but will be very happy to treat you again in the future should you change your mind. Kind regards.

You've taken the first step by sorting out your phone. Don't take a step back by taking things clients say as a personal thing.

It's business :wink2:

I am willing you to turn things around, you CAN do it. xxxxx

Merelle!!!

Lovely girl you have got to toughen up or you are just not going to survive this business.

Remember this - clients are fickle!!

They stop coming for any amount of reasons and it may be nothing whatsoever to do with you.

They owe us nothing.

And although you thought it was rude of her to write STOP, it is possible that she thinks the text message is computer generated and you are sending hundreds of them.

What you could do is send another text and say Thank you for your text. I have removed your from my mailing list but will be very happy to treat you again in the future should you change your mind. Kind regards.

You've taken the first step by sorting out your phone. Don't take a step back by taking things clients say as a personal thing.

It's business :wink2:

I am willing you to turn things around, you CAN do it. xxxxx

Oh I know I so need to toughen up! I would be too scared to text her again incase she will get even more raging lol. I don't know why I take it so personally! But I do, I always assume the worse! I get really bothered because its a small knit community in these kinda towns and people talk... And I wouldn't want a bad reputation... Not that I have done anything wrong but people can be so moaney sometimes! I find that if a particular client stops getting her lashes done for any reason, the next thing I know Shen I'm doing her friends lashes she will make sure she points it out, and its as if she's saying ohhh you must be crap if she's not coming back lol I can't help the worryyyyyy xxx

I know exactly how you feel been mobile!!! The thing is I don’t actually drive at the moment so my boyfriend takes me about ad he gets really annoyed about it as he works as well as has to sit outside which I feel horrid about but what am I met to do?. Some of my clients live a bit far and sometimes I just think to myself this is not worth my while but I don’t want to lose custom. Ad also people who say yes I have 3 people or whatever that watt as ad I go all the way out and the other person is ot there the they are to come at all its down rite bloody rude!!!! Then they sit on the phone or finish there tea or whatever. Ehm hello I have other people to see! Ad when I do eyelashes they seem to just go to fats and In eed to order more and more so much so I don’t think its worth my time to keep up with eyelashes aww I am starting to hate the thing I love1 keep your head up huni <3

You really do need to stop taking it so personally or its gonna bite you in the bum, and you will ruin it for yourself! Especially for it to then put you on a downer. I wouldnt think anything of it at all- your text was professional and therefore probably not clear that it wasnt from a computer, most texts now you reply STOP. And you say she hasnt had her lashes done for a year? So its not really a surprise that she isnt interested anymore, its not personal? If other people like it then you know you have a great idea, then sod it, shes just one client. CLIENT not friend :D

You need to do something to make yourself beleive that you are good, so you dont need the others validation. It sounds like you have had a hard time and therefore your self esteem is quite low. A break is defo what you need. How about asking for testimonials for your website/fb? That might boost your ego a bit!

I am only starting out mobile so its easy for me to say all this....quite another putting it into practise!xx

I know exactly how you feel been mobile!!! The thing is I don&#146;t actually drive at the moment so my boyfriend takes me about ad he gets really annoyed about it as he works as well as has to sit outside which I feel horrid about but what am I met to do?. Some of my clients live a bit far and sometimes I just think to myself this is not worth my while but I don&#146;t want to lose custom. Ad also people who say yes I have 3 people or whatever that watt as ad I go all the way out and the other person is ot there the they are to come at all its down rite bloody rude!!!! Then they sit on the phone or finish there tea or whatever. Ehm hello I have other people to see! Ad when I do eyelashes they seem to just go to fats and In eed to order more and more so much so I don&#146;t think its worth my time to keep up with eyelashes aww I am starting to hate the thing I love1 keep your head up huni <3

Wow your boyfriend must be really patient lol! And I know exactly how you feel, I was meant to do a "bridal party of 5" the other week and when I turned up, 3 of them decided they didn't want lashes anymore, eh hello I didn't just travel 30 miles to be told I'm doing 2 people when I could have arranged others!

Totally know what you mean about the eating or phone crap. I once went to a client and she made then sat and ate her egg sandwich for half an hour before I started! It was already 9.30pm! Very annoying! Lool xx

You really do need to stop taking it so personally or its gonna bite you in the bum, and you will ruin it for yourself! Especially for it to then put you on a downer. I wouldnt think anything of it at all- your text was professional and therefore probably not clear that it wasnt from a computer, most texts now you reply STOP. And you say she hasnt had her lashes done for a year? So its not really a surprise that she isnt interested anymore, its not personal? If other people like it then you know you have a great idea, then sod it, shes just one client. CLIENT not friend :D

You need to do something to make yourself beleive that you are good, so you dont need the others validation. It sounds like you have had a hard time and therefore your self esteem is quite low. A break is defo what you need. How about asking for testimonials for your website/fb? That might boost your ego a bit!

I am only starting out mobile so its easy for me to say all this....quite another putting it into practise!xx

I know what you mean, I shouldn't have to look to every single client for validation, especially when there is the odd awkward client. It's just a habit of mine I suppose working on my own, the only feedback / people I speak to are clients, and when I look at the bigger picture, I need to remember they aren't friends and people will always try their luck or always want something for cheaper. I think I get easily offended, because I always give 110% to every client, and when I have repeat clientele it reassures me that I'm doing a good job, but on the other hand when someone doesn't get back to me it's so easy for me to assume that it must be because I'm rubbish or they didn't like me as a person. It seems kinda ridiculous when I'm typing this out but at least I'm very aware of it now and can work on it :) xx

Its not ridiculous hun, I've been the same with makeup thinking about it... its funny how a bit of criticism can put you on a downer but a great one can make you so confident!

Hi hun,

I used to be mobile then rented a room and split myself between the 2. I fell pregnant then stopped being mobile as I was a whale, lots of my customers started coming to me!

Now I only do groups if I am mobile (and they still often cancel :evil: ) But now I have a base its loads better. Being mobile you feel like you are non stop. Dont let it get u down chick xxxxxxxxxx

I do feel like I'm non stop, even on my days off! I feel like I also need to learn something new, to break it up a bit.

Ultimately I can't be mobile for the rest of my life so I need a plan...I'm just not sure what but renting a room is an option when I'm back from my travels :) xx

Latest posts

Back