My 1st photo comp entry

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fab image!
Well done on your placing

was the picture by a professional photographer??? mine wasnt and the feedback was that, that was what let me down.

I asked a friend of mine who is a graphic designer and very into photography. He deals with photographic images as part of his job and he brought round all the lighting stuff from work and his very big SLR digital camera, tripod and all his gear. He experimented with reflective metally tiles that are used behind radiators for extra effects and I can't remember if the photo used had that or not as he took about 80 in all.

It felt very odd having all that stuff in my front room. He got quite into it and went home and sorted out the photos and then sent them through at about 2 in the morning!! I tried doing some mock up photos with my camera but they weren't as good as what he produced.

I thought your nail art was very detailed and I wish I could sculpt acrylic like that (I really should get practising). A brighter background may have made them come to life more.

i agree that the lighting/photo let down my work, will do better next time!!!

it was ment to be a spotlight effect but i don't think it worked

I think that the effect was good as it definitely highlighted the hands and the art.

Was this your first entry

no, i entered blindly at excel, i didnt really understand what to produce, and if i am honest i don't think the actual nail work matters, its all about the photo, which means prof shots, shame cos i thought it was about the idea!!!

I know, but did you see the 1,2,3 place photos? I loved the 2nd place one.

no i was not at earls court and no posts yet!

do you have the photo???????

Gloria did Singing in the Rain, black and white with coloured nails and lips in orange. Orange umbrella and raindrops on the the nails. It was fantastic

Having seen both of them I have to say that personally I preferred the singing in the rain. It was more subtle. 1st place had amazing nails and was vividly coloured orange and blue - starlight express I think.

Hi peeps,
I think generally most of us enter 'blind'. My first Prof Beauty entry was at last years Earls Court and I hadnt got a clue what they were looking for.
The only other pic I saw from that comp was Paula's as its here in the gallery and so is mine. A year on, Id still love to see the winning pic !

My 2nd entry was Excel, again a 'blind' entry, again 2nd place but this time the pics were displayed so I could see what others were doing and where they were placed which gave me a bit more of an idea of what the judges were looking for.
Personally, I dont use a pro photographer as Im starting to take more of an interest in that side of things myself. From what Ive been told, I was under the impression that its the overall picture that theyre looking for and not just the nails, and thats what I try for.

This time I wasnt particularly happy with my scores from one particular judge as they were miles off what the other 2 gave me :rolleyes:
But, Im finished munching on that bunch of sour grapes now so we wont go there .... though I have to say ... the taste does linger!

can not wait for nov prof nails mag, really wish someone would post winning entries, need to see what wins inspiration for gmex

Hi peeps,
I think generally most of us enter 'blind'. My first Prof Beauty entry was at last years Earls Court and I hadnt got a clue what they were looking for.
The only other pic I saw from that comp was Paula's as its here in the gallery and so is mine. A year on, Id still love to see the winning pic !

My 2nd entry was Excel, again a 'blind' entry, again 2nd place but this time the pics were displayed so I could see what others were doing and where they were placed which gave me a bit more of an idea of what the judges were looking for.
Personally, I dont use a pro photographer as Im starting to take more of an interest in that side of things myself. From what Ive been told, I was under the impression that its the overall picture that theyre looking for and not just the nails, and thats what I try for.

This time I wasnt particularly happy with my scores from one particular judge as they were miles off what the other 2 gave me :rolleyes:
But, Im finished munching on that bunch of sour grapes now so we wont go there .... though I have to say ... the taste does linger!
again i heard one under scored everyone, so i would discount that.

I know something I don't know that I'd want to be a judge who marked low and gave the competitors somewhere to aim for they must get a hard time constantly. I think I'd want everyone to win just for trying!!!

I know I put in hours and hours of thought and work. How many hours did you put in to your photos?

not hours, WEEKS...................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but wasn't it fun!!!!!!! no sleep, nights out or a life quite frankly

Yes, theres a lot more preparation goes into it than most peeps realise ... I was still up at 2.30am on the Sunday morning of Earls Court still printing my step-by-step.
I put extra work into the whole thing as Im trying to develop my eye as a photographer so I guess I heap extra pressure on myself in that department, as when my model goes home, I then begin loading the pics on my pc and start the long process of sorting & processing them. (With a DSLR camera, there is always a little post processing involved).
Its an exhausting process from start to finish but Im proud of my efforts and Ill always have the images to look back on when I decide to hang up my hat in the nails world.

Latest posts

Back