my 1st post, need general advice about starting new career as nail tech

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hello and welcome

firstly good luck with everything

enrol yourself on a qualification mani/pedi course and see how you get on

i've found that college courses have males and females of all ages

check beauty therapy , hairdressing , customer service , keyskills , VTCT qualifications , manicure and make-up , nails , hair removal , theatrical and media make-up , ear piercing , massage , holistic and complementary , health and fitness therapy , sport it will give a list of colleges in your area

remember experience, skill and confidence all come with lots of practice

wow david

what can i say, you have answered everyone of my questions , thanks so much,

think im deffo edging towards creative, only reason i havent reached for phone and booked straight away is because im struggling to get models at the mo, because the course nearest to me is in manchester (bummer of a place to get to peak hour) im gonna struggle to get there without leaving my house 3 hours before to do half hour journey lol and cant find anyone who can spare that sort of time, either off work or who hasnt got kids to get to school lol, so might have to do another course just because of distance (arrrrgggghhhh) still working on it though lol

thanks again for your help

nicky x

Hi Nicky,
Good luck with whatever you decide - you sound like you have buckets of enthusiasm which is fantanstic!
Just a thought - maybe there's some geeks in your area that may be willing to help you out and be your model??? xxxx

hi boop

thanks for the welcome, i certainly have plenty of enthusiasm (hope that enough lol)

dont know whether theres many geeks in my area, and also im not sure practising on someone who would be sitting there thinking "oh my god, why has she just done that" would instill much confidence into me rofl

but might be worth a try

thanks

nicky xx

I know it's a bit different (I think) here in the US as you cannot become a Nail Tech unless you have at "least"350 hrs.+. My school was 400 hrs. and some others are even up to 600 hrs.! We started with just basic Mani's & Pedi's as well and didn't start on acrylics for many weeks* There's alot to learn about Everything and I'm sure glad I went to a wonderful Nail technology school :green:

Hi Nicky and welcome to the site!

I'm in your area hun! I'm not sure I can offer advice regarding mani/pedi courses but I would reiterate what David has said. With hindsight, attending a Creative Foundation course may have been the best way for me to begin my new career as a Nail Technician. Unfortunately, I did it all the wrong way around! Still, funds allowing, I'm hoping to attend further training - very soon!

It has taken me approximately 4K to set up in business (since June last year) and that's including everything like products, uniforms, training, pc, printer, accessories, stationery, marketing etc. It does not include items like car maintenance, petrol, salon rent etc.

It's difficult to know exactly what charges to exact from your new clients when you begin. Some would advise you to charge a lesser amount and inform the client that the charges are not static but will change with your experience. All I know is that once a precedence is set it's difficult to change. I suppose it also depends upon whether the income you get is the only one in the household or whether you can rely upon a partners wage to pay bills/mortgage etc. I HAD to charge the full price from the beginning as I'm solo.

Because you are in the vicinity hun, you are always welcome to come over to my place for a good ole chinwag. Come and sit in the salon with me if you want! Am here to help - just pm me for further details!

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Firstly I would suggest you enroll at your nearest college and do a VTCT or equivelant mani and pedi course. This will give you an excellent foundation on which to grow your skills and become successful in your business.
This is decent advice but I only hope that the trainers are good. This is what lets college courses down most of the time (I suppose that can be said of anything though):eek:
It is impossible to learn enough in 5 days no matter how intensive and reputable the trainers.
I think that 'one' can learn plenty (especially in an intensive 5 day course) but what it won't give any student is the experience they need to become truly artistic. A Foundation Course (I can only speak from one product brand point of view) is just that - a FOUNDATION -it gives the basics that you will need to go out there and get started; some are far more professional or intensive that others but education should always be lifelong learning!

Only when you have qualified would I then start on the advanced stuff and a good place to start is at one of the nail shows to have a look round and see what products take your fancy.
definitely - nail shows can give a student much food for thought!

Last year i spent over £1,000 converting to Bio and OPI and thats without building up my stock of gels!! It is not for the faint hearted so you need to be sure that this is the career for you. In my very humble opinion it can take upto 5 years to be a fully experienced and skillful technician.
Good luck
I think that is very true. To make a true professional and excellent nail artist takes time, much education, patience and experience. Best of Luck with whatever you decide upon!

again , thanks so much for the advice, i am definitley going to book a course now, but also trying to find a manicure/pedi or nail services, VCTC or NVQ course that would suit me too, maybe ill do that after the foundation course? anyway

thanks again guys, i really appreciate all the advice

nicky x

hi gemma

can i ask what course your doing at college?

nicky x

I'm doing a VTCT in Mani and Pedi Level 2 - It excellent as a starting point at the momement we are doing anatomy and arm and leg massage.

Latest posts

Back