My curly hair is not curly anymore after straightening

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ssandk

Reaction score
Has straightening my curly hair made it loose its curl??

I have had my hair straightened with GHD's every 7 weeks by my hairdresser for ages now. It's straight the day after (or until it rains...usually the same day) then I wash it the 3rd day and the curls come right back,

Just before Xmas I borrowed a friends Babyliss 230s and straightened my hair two days in a row (after washes). Now my curls are all but gone. Whereas before I had loads of curls I have just kinks and waves with straight ends.....

WHY?????

I used a heat protecting spray each time I did it?

It's been 7 days now since I last straightened it and have been using my Pantene Curl Shampoo and there is hardly any change.

I'm gonna get stuck in the rut or wanting it straight rather than these pathetic waves and will never get curls again! I'm going out this week and don't think I can do it without curls OR straigtening it again!

:rolleyes:

But it doesn't feel rough and dry like it did when always curly. It feels sleek and smooth so that appears to be a bonus.

I'm mid way through a hair cut cycle so I don't imagine it's my layers. I should say this happened before Xmas and I've only straightened about three times more and not always washed with my usual shampoo and not put any other products on it if I've not been straightening it (never used to have to any my curls would form ringlets happily without frizz.

Last edited:
Hi,

I have naturally curly hair. I used GHD's to straighten it which are fab.
When i was it and want it to be curly again, it's not quite the same, but the reason for me is that it has grown, and my layers are almost out, so the weight of my hair pulls out the curl.
Have you allowed, unknowly, you layers to grow out as I have?

Also, I'm no hairdresser, but one thing I do know is that Pantene products do leave behind a kind of silicone layer on your hair to give the appearance of 'better condition' etc. Try using a shampoo that will clean out all the build up on your hair, that may help it a lot.

hthxxx I'm sure a hair geek will come to your rescue tho!

yeah theres a few possibilitles but without knowing you for sure diagnosis is difficult!

Some hair products especially conditioners are really heavy and can weigh the hair down. Longer layers as already stated above can also add weight and drag down curl. Constant straightening with irons can damage the hair and break the bonds (does it feel dry/frizzy?). This will grow out eventually of course if you treat it kindly!!

Hair folicle shape (which determines straight or curly) can change with age and hormonal influences, although that will be more apparent at the roots as a gradual change but if you are constantly straightening you may not notice the change so much.

Not sure I'm helping much here but theres a few things to mull over for now!:hug:

Hi , it sounds like you have a build up of product on it ,
and when you are washing it has not all been removed properly ,

you really need to use a good clarifying shampoo if you want it all out of your hair ,
pantene leaves a waxy coating on your hair which takes about 6 to eight washes to remove it .

Many hairdressers are not too fussy on pantene products as the wax build up tends to interfere with our colouring and chemical processes too ,
plus they are not really a salon professional make.

If you look up this link they have some great hair shampoos ect,

ghd straighteners, ghd hair straighteners, T3 hair straighteners & T3 Hair dryers online. Nioxin hair products, Skinceuticals & Fake Bake. Cheapest ghd hair straighteners, Buy Tigi hair products and Parlux hairdryers online from Salonlines.co.uk.,

they stock some nice clarifying shampoos
and a range of products for curly hair :hug: hth

Last edited:
try clynols "clear" shampoo great for build up removal

the salon i work in uses KMS products and i have quite a few - they're really good!

i especially like the curly hair range - it smells amazing!!

i straighten my hair 90% of the time and have done for a good few yrs. i've looked back at photos of myself a few yrs ago and its almost ringletty curls, but now is my wavy curly than ringlets. i dont know if it's due to straightening it coz if i make it curly a few times in a row it will be a bit more curly every time. but tbh i think my hair has just changed as my mum has naturally curly hair but has gone through stages where it's been curlier than others.

hth - i doubt it!!! xx

My hair is like an afro (ok,not that bad, but very very curly) so i HAVE to straighten it EVERY day. I have probs straightened it now for about 6-7yr, before straighteners were out i used a travel iron and a hard back book... bet you's are all thinking OMG

But my hair is still as curly as it was!

Has straightening my curly hair made it loose its curl??

Hey 'Ssandk' the EXACT same thing that happend to you has just happened to me and i was just wondering if your curls ever went back the same? and if so how did you do it? Im soo regretting EVER straightening my hair again.. but this has never happened any of the other times .. wright back when you get this please.x

Latest posts

Back