My eye liner always smudges

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blossom

Reaction score
Hi there skin geeks, looking for a little advice please if that's ok.

Doesn't seem to matter what brand I use, I always find my eyeliner smudges and I have panda eyes within 2/3 hours. I usually use a fairly sharp pencil then go over it with a pointy sponge thingy (I bet it has a proper name!) dipped in a little eye shadow to soften the effect. Looks great but doesn't last.

I should add that I still have a very oily skin, but as I am 41 I do use a eye cream as well. I am using Benefit Eye Con at present which I love and the problem is not just since using that particular cream.

I would be very grateful for any advice, thanks for reading. . . xx

Edit: oh btw it's definitely the liner not mascara cos since having my lashes tinted I haven't worn any!

hi i use mac gel eyelner it comes in a little glass pot and you can buy a slanted eyeliner brush. it last ages and the colour can be applied precisely and as as deeply as you want it. i swear by it!!!!!

You could apply a black or dark brown shadow with a small slanted brush. This gives the same look but much softer around the edges.

Or, you could have a permanent eyeliner...........but of course I'm biased as that's what I do. You can't imagine the freedom of having defined eyes 365 days a years.

You could apply a black or dark brown shadow with a small slanted brush. This gives the same look but much softer around the edges.

Or, you could have a permanent eyeliner...........but of course I'm biased as that's what I do. You can't imagine the freedom of having defined eyes 365 days a years.
I could be interested in that. I would be worried whether I'd chosen someone competent - especially so close to the eyes. Does it hurt much?

It doesn't hurt but you must feel confident with the person who's doing the procedure. I use the best topical aneasthetics so there's minimal discomfort. It's over in 15 mins anyway.

It doesn't hurt but you must feel confident with the person who's doing the procedure. I use the best topical aneasthetics so there's minimal discomfort. It's over in 15 mins anyway.

Sorry to pick your brains so much and thanks for your reply. How long does it last for and is there a panel of decent permanent make up artists so I could look up a local one?

Eyeliner lasts the longest out of any procedure and I suggest that you have black as brown can get a red tinge after a few years and you'll look as though you've been crying. Black can get a blue tinge to it but I add something to mine to counteract that.

Everyone is different but on average, eyeliner last around 4/5 years or longer.

Eyeliner lasts the longest out of any procedure and I suggest that you have black as brown can get a red tinge after a few years and you'll look as though you've been crying. Black can get a blue tinge to it but I add something to mine to counteract that.

Everyone is different but on average, eyeliner last around 4/5 years or longer.

i have allways wanted this done...one day
also permanent lip liner too

I must admit that I used to have that problem too. I can definitely recommend Jane Iredale's Cream to Powder eyeliner that you can put on with a small angle liner brush. Stays put all day long and there are numerous colours to choose from. I find black very harsh on some skins and there are choices of dark mauves and variations of browns which I love as I have blue eyes.

Another thing which I used to hate was my mascara would come off especially on the bottom lashes and give me black eyes too. Now I use JI's lash conditioner then the jet black mascara and it stays put all day long and I have lovely long eye lashes!:)

HTH

Hey hun :green:

I back Kimmi up with her recommendation of using powder shadow with a slanted stiff-bristled brush. I use this technique for a subtle line, and if I want a more defined/darker line, I will use a pencil liner with powder shadow over it. Powder sets cream (i.e. - a face powder sets foundation) so using two types of liner in this way will make sure your line stays put.

YSL's brand new liquid liner is spot on! I'm not normally a fan of liquid liners, as they can give quite a harsh line (l love softness and blending!), but this new one is alright by me! It also stays put all day.

hth

Hey hun :green:

I back Kimmi up with her recommendation of using powder shadow with a slanted stiff-bristled brush. I use this technique for a subtle line, and if I want a more defined/darker line, I will use a pencil liner with powder shadow over it. Powder sets cream (i.e. - a face powder sets foundation) so using two types of liner in this way will make sure your line stays put.

YSL's brand new liquid liner is spot on! I'm not normally a fan of liquid liners, as they can give quite a harsh line (l love softness and blending!), but this new one is alright by me! It also stays put all day.

hth

is that the one called easy liner by ysl hun

I use ruby and millie or mac liquid last - both are liquid liners but the mac one lasts forever you cant get it off as its waterproof so you need eyemake up remover. But its very very good it takes a bit of pratice to apply if you havent used it before but it lasts and lasts. It costs about £12.

is that the one called easy liner by ysl hun

Yep that's the one! Haven't got it to hand at the min, so had to make do with "The New One" by YSL....what a creative mind I have :lol:

I'm in love with it, have you tried it yet?

Yep that's the one! Haven't got it to hand at the min, so had to make do with "The New One" by YSL....what a creative mind I have :lol:

I'm in love with it, have you tried it yet?

no but i am gonna...on boots.com now lol i love my eyeliners

I've been using Rimmel pencil eyeliners for as long as I can remember, and have never had any trouble with the panda eyes look.

A colleague of mine in the salon has this problem with Mascaras - which ones of these have you found to be the most long lasting?

A colleague of mine in the salon has this problem with Mascaras - which ones of these have you found to be the most long lasting?

I have found the worst smudging happens (not just a little bit of misplaced black, as can be expected when wearing any mascara, but more like two caterpillars nestling under the lower lash line!) when the under-eye area gets oily. To counteract this problem, before applying eye makeup, I use a clean medium sized eye shadow brush to apply a small amount of loose powder directly under the lower lash line. This always works for me!

Obviously the mascara and its formulation has a lot to do with it as well. As a rule, more moisturising mascaras are more prone to smudge. My three top mascaras (for their general effect and ease of use, as well as their non-smudging qualities) are YSL False Lash Effect, Maybelline Great Lash, all the Chanel mascaras.

hth :green:

I have found the worst smudging happens (not just a little bit of misplaced black, as can be expected when wearing any mascara, but more like two caterpillars nestling under the lower lash line!) when the under-eye area gets oily. To counteract this problem, before applying eye makeup, I use a clean medium sized eye shadow brush to apply a small amount of loose powder directly under the lower lash line. This always works for me!

Obviously the mascara and its formulation has a lot to do with it as well. As a rule, more moisturising mascaras are more prone to smudge. My three top mascaras (for their general effect and ease of use, as well as their non-smudging qualities) are YSL False Lash Effect, Maybelline Great Lash, all the Chanel mascaras.

hth :green:

Thanks for the info Amy

I will pass the info on to my colleague to try those mascaras out!

Another thing which I used to hate was my mascara would come off especially on the bottom lashes and give me black eyes too. Now I use Jane Iredale's lash conditioner then the jet black mascara and it stays put all day long and I have lovely long eye lashes!:)

HTH

I've put this up to show you Oey. :)

I've put this up to show you Oey. :)

Thanks LBR - must have blinked when I read that one (or my mascara was running in my eyes). The more I read about Jane Iredale the more I am going to have to look into getting this range in my salon!

Thanks

Latest posts

Back