My first Shellac - nightmare!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let me put it this way ... All these OILY nail plates that so many people so conveniently blame for all sorts of their problems? I have only ever seen 2 examples in my entire career that has spanned 30 years now!! I think it is a convenient excuse for many. JMO

Geeg I'm absolutely not "conveniently blaming" oily nail plates - I genuinely didn't have a clue what the issue was and so I telephoned my CND ambassador for advice, and it was her opinion that oily nail plates was the problem. So I'm not using it as a convenient excuse, I can assure you!

Another point to consider is to make sure your base coat is shaken really really well. In one of Holly's videos, she applies base coat that hasn't been shaken properly and it goes on all grainy. Then she applies it after a good shake and it goes on lovely and smooth.

So make sure all your Shellac gets a good mixing :wink2:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Thank you for that Planky - I did think I'd given all the bottles a good shake but I will make extra sure next time.

Geeg I'm absolutely not "conveniently blaming" oily nail plates - I genuinely didn't have a clue what the issue was and so I telephoned my CND ambassador for advice, and it was her opinion that oily nail plates was the problem. So I'm not using it as a convenient excuse, I can assure you!

Before you get all het up .. my post was not directed at you. It was general information to the total populace so you do not need to defend yourself. :hug: YOU asked if the oily nail thing was a red herring and I answered your question to all ..

What colour was you using because I find if you apply some colours too thick they bubble, remember thin to win!

Before you get all het up .. my post was not directed at you. It was general information to the total populace so you do not need to defend yourself. :hug: YOU asked if the oily nail thing was a red herring and I answered your question to all ..

Thank you. Sorry - I am getting het up I know, because I so want to get it right! :cry:

Can I just check something else? ScrubFresh - it has to be a lint-free pad, right? Only the pads I've been given are the Mundo Cotton Filled ones. I didn't realise until I just looked in my Mundo brochure and saw them alongside the Lint-Free ones, I'd just assumed I'd been given lint-free. Could this be the issue?

What colour was you using because I find if you apply some colours too thick they bubble, remember thin to win!

Thanks sharmalee, it was Strawberry Smoothie.

Thank you. Sorry - I am getting het up I know, because I so want to get it right! :cry:

Can I just check something else? ScrubFresh - it has to be a lint-free pad, right? Only the pads I've been given are the Mundo Cotton Filled ones. I didn't realise until I just looked in my Mundo brochure and saw them alongside the Lint-Free ones, I'd just assumed I'd been given lint-free. Could this be the issue?

I doubt it, as I use them almost 100% of the time.

Lets stick to what we know. The nail plate was most likely damp with ScrubFresh, or left over moisture or insufficient removal of Cuticle Away. Forget oily nails, pads with cotton filling etc and just stick with what we know would react in the way it did with Shellac. Your husband is rocking his Strawberry Smoothie with no problems and for him you did things differently ... stick to that method and make sure nails are clean and dry.

But that's the thing, I didn't do his nails any differently! I used the same technique and the same products!

But that's the thing, I didn't do his nails any differently! I used the same technique and the same products!

If anything, I was less thorough with hubby's nails and they look perfect!

You are way over-thinking it. Try again and see what happens .. if she says it has happened to her before then maybe there is some incompatibility .... it has not happened to me before ... but if someone said that to me, then i would tell the client that she was trying the treatment on her own nickle !

UPDATE! Just done another set and I'm happy to report that all went fine. I'm still not really any the wiser as to what the problem was yesterday and could obviously have done without the baptism of fire but that's life I guess. :)

Thank you to everyone who took the time to try and help me, it's much appreciated. And thanks especially for the encouragement to get straight back on the horse - it was a bit nerve racking (especially as I'd never met today's "victim" before! :eek:) but it was the best thing that I could've done in the circumstances and I feel so much better now.

Time for a very large G&T now I think! :green:

Good for you Floss, so pleased it went well for you. Hope to see the pics later :hug: xx

I'm back to say that the exact same thing happened to me AGAIN yesterday! I've done several Shellacs in the meantime with absolutely no problems at all so I was pretty devastated. This wasn't a new client, it was someone I'd done Shellac on twice before with no problems. I'm thinking I either didn't remove all the cuticle properly (maybe a little complacent because it was her 3rd visit?) or it was a Base Coat issue - although I gave it what I thought was a really good shake, it was the first time I'd used it in over 2 weeks as I've been away.

Gutted.com! :sad:

Latest posts

Back