My insurance renewal quote has trebled!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjmadmum

Reaction score
Just had to share this as I am a bit shocked! My insurance is up for renewal next week, I have added microdermabrasion to my list of treatments and spoke to my insurance company today who then quoted 3 times last years price! So far, have got 2 other quotes, one quoted less, but I have to get separate insurance for the mdb machine, the other other came in a tiny bit cheaper! That will teach me not to thoroughly check everything before taking on a new treatment. Not even sure having mdb on my list of services is going to be cost effective now, especially as its on PAYG. :sad:

I am only a start up business, got myself insured this time last year as a precaution as I was working on models but wanted the security. Lesson learnt..... check, research, do more checking and researching. Am kicking myself here.

Moan over, thanks for listening ladies.

Have you tried ABT? They didn't ask for any extra when I added that on to my policy.

Who's your insurance with? Mine includes MDA

Have you tried ABT? They didn't ask for any extra when I added that on to my policy.

They're one of the companies I phoned, but I have to pay extra for the contents package, as my mdb supplier told me I have to insure the machine. However they are the cheapest so far. xx

Who's your insurance with? Mine includes MDA

Didn't want to name on here as felt bad doing that. Can I ask who you are with? And do they include the insurance for the cost of the machine? This is where I am finding my problem xx

I used sme they are a broker and got me a great deal in fact I've added a therapist , 2 new treatments and cover for a 2nd salon for the same price as last year ! X

I used sme they are a broker and got me a great deal in fact I've added a therapist , 2 new treatments and cover for a 2nd salon for the same price as last year ! X

Thanks hun, will try them tomorrow xx

Try towergate. My insurance trebled with babtac because I do IPL. So I searched for days and towergate are by far the cheapest, I can get my professional, extra cover for IPL, CST and advanced electrolysis and salon and contents cover for less than with babtac.

[email protected]

Try emailing for a quote:D

Try towergate. My insurance trebled with babtac because I do IPL. So I searched for days and towergate are by far the cheapest, I can get my professional, extra cover for IPL, CST and advanced electrolysis and salon and contents cover for less than with babtac.

[email protected]

Try emailing for a quote:D

Thanks hun, will email them in the morning :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
MD has posed a problem for me aswell. It has increased my policy quite dramatically :(

Oh no I've just recently renewed our insurance with the Guild and am taking on MD in July I just thought it might add on £20 or so,looks like I'm going to be in for a shock when I ring them.

My insurance is with Aviva and they would even insure it! I had to take out a separate policy just to cover MD this was £113 which made up a third of my owner all insurance - for 1 treatment! We don't even do many MD's even. I'm thinking of sending out machine back to SkinBase :(

I might have to re consider I'm a bit concerned about the skinbase payg skin testing advice.It seems they advise to skin test before treatment but this will mean turning on the machine just for that which will take off the money.
If you don't do it obviously the insurers won't accept any claim as they always stipulate to follow manufacturers instructions.
If you arnt going to skin test then you may as well not worry about even telling the insurance you have a machine and paying extra as you would never be insured anyway.
If you Skin test each time you will never make a profit.Im perplexed.

Heavens!
What do Skinbase advise?

I might have to re consider I'm a bit concerned about the skinbase payg skin testing advice.It seems they advise to skin test before treatment but this will mean turning on the machine just for that which will take off the money.
If you don't do it obviously the insurers won't accept any claim as they always stipulate to follow manufacturers instructions.
If you arnt going to skin test then you may as well not worry about even telling the insurance you have a machine and paying extra as you would never be insured anyway.
If you Skin test each time you will never make a profit.Im perplexed.

They advise rubbing the crystals on the hand bit using the machines

My trainer said not to skin test.

Ah so there is a way of doing it without turning on the machine.Thats good to know.

Lynne,the literature ie training book sent out before they visit you for the training,states.

'It is important to perform a patch test to check a client is not sensitive to the crystals employed.

It is most unusual for a client to be sensitive,however a skin test should be performed prior to treatment on the back of the forearm.

If the area becomes red or swollen do not proceed with treatment.If the client develops red marks on the skin after treatment it is usually due to the therapist applying too much pressure.'

Of course i can understand this, covers them,covers you but like everything else it makes things that much more awkward.We are going to be having to skin test everyone for every single thing we use to be insured soon.Way of the world I guess.

Good to know I don't have to fork out half my profit for every test though.

Last edited:
No need to turn on your machine for a skin test. Just place a few crystals into the elbow crease and rub. Worth doing as I have had a few people sensitive to the crystals.
I'm with ABT insurance, I didn't have to pay extra for MD, but do pay contents insurance as this covers ALL my equipment, surely you would need this!

Diane xx

No need to turn on your machine for a skin test. Just place a few crystals into the elbow crease and rub. Worth doing as I have had a few people sensitive to the crystals.
I'm with ABT insurance, I didn't have to pay extra for MD, but do pay contents insurance as this covers ALL my equipment, surely you would need this!

Diane xx

You may have hit the nail on the head.It may go up much more if you don't already have contents and its cover on the machine you are paying for and not the add on treatment.
I would have thought with the PAYG they would have worked some kind of insurance for you with the price you pay for the machine.I will have to have a good look at my literature.
Thankyou for the info about the skin testing.

This happened to me too!!!!

Im with groupama, and well my policy includes my building as i own the freehold. However due to a refresher course this year i decided to check if i was cover in the policy wording for those treatments. The only one i wasnt was MDA. Which is shocking for me... so in panic mode i needed to be covered and asked for it. However they suggested i have another policy to cover it and end the other one, and for renewal they would add the addional treatment.

Then the quote was ridiculous, so i looked around and got cover with professional beauty direct,(very resonable) it covers me for over 150 treatment- majority i dont need but it covers me for MDA what i wanted. The worse thing is the underwriters are groupama, and this specific policy is dealt with on different companies and covers etc, so in essence the underwriters have got money twice over from me, when its a silly little error on their hands to not have it included in the writing. Grrr! Im just glad i found the cover!! Hths xoxo

You may have hit the nail on the head.It may go up much more if you don't already have contents and its cover on the machine you are paying for and not the add on treatment.
I would have thought with the PAYG they would have worked some kind of insurance for you with the price you pay for the machine.I will have to have a good look at my literature.
Thankyou for the info about the skin testing.

Yup! Took me me a while for the penny to drop last night too! Its because I need contents covered, haven't even thought about contents before as I don't really have anything of value.(Although my mind has now been changed on that too after speaking to someone). I phoned Skinbase and they told me I have to get it covered, its not included in their rental system.

So I have just got off the phone after a couple of hours of ringing around and really glad I did. I am now going with The Beauty Guild, which I am really happy about as I wanted to go with them last year but they were too expensive for me at the time. Now they're more competitive for my situation. Happy days!

Thanks for everyone's input :hug: xx

Latest posts

Back