my little boy stops breathing...any advice?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to do this too when I was having a tantrum, I would cry so hard I couldnt breathe. My mum just used to leave me to it and I always came out of it. I always thought it was funny when my parents retold the stories as I got older but then my cousin did it as a baby and I realised how scary it is to watch. I would definately recommend getting the little one checked out by the doctor just to rule anything else out tho.

Teresa xxx

Thanks so much everyone for your replies and advice and Jo for the article :hug:

I knew I would get better results from this site than anywhere else and I feel a lot better about it than I did.

First of all here in Spain I don't have a health visitor, I am not sure if there is an equivalent...but there is a free British clinic for weighing babies, jabs etc so I will pop along there and maybe they can help me out.

My mothers' instinct tells me it is nothing to worry about, I know he will grow out of it.
He mainly does it if I raise my voice at him or I ignore him if he does cry... it happens within a few seconds of him starting to cry and most times I can catch him before he goes too far. He is pretty highly strung and I think being amongst a large family it is him making sure I give him attention.

I am a lot more reassured now from your replies....but I don't think I will ever not be scared half to death each time he goes too far...I am very calm when he does it but afterwards my heart is beating like crazy and I often just cry my eyes out.... just an hour ago he threw himself on the floor in temper and he was going to do it...but I managed to stop him in time...

besides I had a bucket of water at the ready just in case LMAO...:lol: that post cracked me up....:lol::lol::lol:

I am a lot more reassured now from your replies....but I don't think I will ever not be scared half to death each time he goes too far...I am very calm when he does it but afterwards my heart is beating like crazy and I often just cry my eyes out.... just an hour ago he threw himself on the floor in temper and he was going to do it...but I managed to stop him in time...
Try your best not to let him see how his behaviour affects you... if he see's that he has an effect he will do it more than ever and that won't be good for either of you.
Cry your eyes out by all means, but do it away from where he can see/hear you :Grope:

Let us know what happens when you go to the clinic xx

your right Sandi and I do try to make sure he doesn't see my reaction...but when he has a bad one I just want to hold him and never let go...:cry:

Will let you know how I get on at the clinic....xxxx

but when he has a bad one I just want to hold him and never let go...:cry:
that's where he has the hold over you mate... kids are smarter than we give them credit for :hug:

I hope you all don't think i am being picky here but isn't one of the rules of being a therapist not to try and diagnose any kind of condition?
I know this is a little different but i personally would go straight to the doctors with your little boy to get him checked over, you just don't know if there is a reason as to why he does this when he gets upset.
He may be controling it BUT he may not be!
I have seen my son die twice because he stopped breathing,turned out he needed a top-up of red blood cells, and i am not trying to scare, just want you to be 100% that he doesn't have any medical problems.
Fingers crossed that he is fine and i hope if he is doing this you can get some professional help on how to deal with it so not to cause your son or you any more distress :hug:

Yes you are right Mandy, we shouldn't diagnose...
but I wasn't looking for a diagnosis...just if it had happened to any other geeks...maybe I should have been a bit more specific with my request...sometimes I have trouble with my wording.... I know what I mean...I just presume everyone else does LOL..:lol:

I am sorry you had a much more horrific time with your child...that is frightening...hope everything is fine now :hug:

I will go along to the clinic here...but I do have an instinct or feeling that he is just being a drama queen or king should I say... he has an amazing ability to push the right buttons! He only does this for me.... anyone else he cries normally so to speak which makes me definitely think it is his way of making damn sure he has my attention...which the little monkey does :lol: If it was something more I wouldn't have thought he would do this exclusively for me...???

But I will take advice and get him checked out.... it has just been nice to read that other geeks have had some experience of this too...xxxx

Good luck.....thankfully none of my kids were ever breath holders, they've always been far too lippy.... but it is quite common....hope you get it sorted....

The title sounds a bit dumb...advice? whip him to hospital....:rolleyes: But let me explain...

My son is 14 months old...and since about 10 months old or so...he can't get his breath back when he cries...sometimes!!!

Now there is varying degrees of it...and how soon he gets his breath back varies...but it scares the living daylights out of me. Yesterday he did it and the trouble was for a few seconds neither me nor my daughter were watching him....he was stood beside us but we were talking...I just saw him as he was turning blue...:eek: I have to breathe on him to make him catch his breath and then he gulps and breathes again but this time I had to smack his bum because he had gone a little too far. His eyes roll and he goes stiff. He has done it a fair few times and it is down to his little temper...and mainly with me...

Now I haven't been to a doctor because I doubt there is much that can be done and he will grow out of it....most other people have said the worst he will do is pass out and this will regulate his breathing...but I am finding it a little nerve racking....

My second eldest daughter did it twice before she was a year old then never again afterwards...none of my other children have done it.

Anyone else experienced this?

Thanks xx

i havent read all this thread - but i was told years ago - as my youngest did this quite alot - leave them too it - if they pass out, they will start to breath normal anyway - scary i know - fortunatley this didnt get that far that she passed out - if it is temper that is causing it flower - i would TRY to leave him alone - i dont think it would take him long to realise that he aint gonna get the attention he is screaming/holding breath for.

Yes you are right Mandy, we shouldn't diagnose...
but I wasn't looking for a diagnosis...just if it had happened to any other geeks...maybe I should have been a bit more specific with my request...sometimes I have trouble with my wording.... I know what I mean...I just presume everyone else does LOL..:lol:

I am sorry you had a much more horrific time with your child...that is frightening...hope everything is fine now :hug:

I will go along to the clinic here...but I do have an instinct or feeling that he is just being a drama queen or king should I say... he has an amazing ability to push the right buttons! He only does this for me.... anyone else he cries normally so to speak which makes me definitely think it is his way of making damn sure he has my attention...which the little monkey does :lol: If it was something more I wouldn't have thought he would do this exclusively for me...???

But I will take advice and get him checked out.... it has just been nice to read that other geeks have had some experience of this too...xxxx
I hope i didn't sound like i was being nasty and i know what you mean but i just think that children are so presious that we should always seek advice on things like this.
I think that you could benefit from advice from someone professional who can maybe help stop you little man from doing this as it must cause him distress, even if he is causing it.
Wish you luck and let us know how you get on hun :hug:

ღMandyღ;645953 said:
I hope i didn't sound like i was being nasty and i know what you mean but i just think that children are so presious that we should always seek advice on things like this.
I think that you could benefit from advice from someone professional who can maybe help stop you little man from doing this as it must cause him distress, even if he is causing it.
Wish you luck and let us know how you get on hun :hug:

I definitely didn't think you was being nasty Mandy, far from it...you was giving advice...which I asked for lol :hug:

And thanks Glynis... I have been told that he would pass out and then he would breathe normally... I just hope he never gets that far...because I think I would pass out from fright first :lol:

xxxxx

I knew I would get better results from this site than anywhere else and I feel a lot better about it than I did.....

hate to burst your bubble, and don't mean to knock anyone's advice which i understand is given in good faith, but if you think you can better advice on something like this from a nail forum then i seriously have to question your judgement!

It could be something or nothing (and i hope its nothing), but i think you need to get it checked out by a doctor, not a nail technician, as no nail tech on here has actually seen your child or is medically qualified to give a proper diagnosis. get your child checked out properly to rule anything out that might be serious and, in the very least, to put your mind at rest. if you can't find a health visitor then go to the hospital A&E.

hate to burst your bubble, and don't mean to knock anyone's advice which i understand is given in good faith, but if you think you can better advice on something like this from a nail forum then i seriously have to question your judgement!

It could be something or nothing (and i hope its nothing), but i think you need to get it checked out by a doctor, not a nail technician, as no nail tech on here has actually seen your child or is medically qualified to give a proper diagnosis. get your child checked out properly to rule anything out that might be serious and, in the very least, to put your mind at rest. if you can't find a health visitor then go to the hospital A&E.

Well first of all I put it in the chit chat section...not on the nail forum...so I was asking in a general sense because there are many mums on here...I wasn't asking a nail technician to be a doctor??!!!

Secondly I was asking for advice and not a diagnosis...

Thirdly....you have actually given me advice...but then you are questioning my judgement...so why give me the advice???

I have 5 children from 20 years old to 1 years old.... I am a muppet in most things but definitely not when it comes to my children...if I thought for one minute it was anything serious I would be to the doctors or hospital like a shot... I know it isn't serious because the only person he does this with is me...if it was something serious I doubt he could be selective when he does it...!!!

I was reassured because it seems it is something that happens or has happened to my fellow geeks...and my feelings about it was reiterated by the posts from a lot of those who replied....

HOWEVER.... today I found out when I can go and see a British Health Visitor/Midwife... which is next wednesday so as much as you question my judgement...I have taken yours and others advice...:green:

Buggy, I really don't think any harm is being done here by mercedes69 posting this thread. She is not asking advice from 'nail techs'. The thread is posted in chitchat and the initial post is asking if anybody else has experienced this?

Many responses in the thread are from parents who have experienced the same thing with their children and whom empathize with what must be a frightening thing to have to witness. Some responses are from peeps with a medical background who can shed some light on the matter. However, most posters have recommended seeking correct medical advice which I am sure mercedes69 is trying to do.

As I and many others have discovered, Salon Geek has this weird and wonderful way of forming relationships and friendships with people we have never even met. Mercede69, as a concerned mum, is just having a chitchat with geeks in this community as she would her neighbours or the mums at the school gate, and how qualified are they?

thank you Tracey :hug:

i agree with tracy just think of us all sat round the kitchen table having a coffee together and talking about our kids and other stuff, i dont think any of us were diagnosing just sharing our stories and most of us did say if jo was worried to speak to health visitor or g.p.......:hug:

i agree with tracy just think of us all sat round the kitchen table having a coffee together and talking about our kids and other stuff, i dont think any of us were diagnosing just sharing our stories and most of us did say if jo was worried to speak to health visitor or g.p.......:hug:
Did someone say coffee? Oooooh, make mine a latte please:green:.

Did someone say coffee? Oooooh, make mine a latte please:green:.

See everyone, I told you she was posh. No instant Nescafe for this posh bird :eek:

well the cake had better have some gold leaf frosting on it then :eek:

Latest posts

Back