My main business is gel nails, should I offer Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

helenlovesnails

Reaction score
i have been reading lots on here about shellac and am very interested.

my question is 99% of my business is bio sculpture nno. so am i gaining anything from offering shellac? whats the difference/advanatages? will my clients change to shellac?

In my opinion, I would only Shellac natural nail clients. If most of your clients are gel clients, then I wouldn't see a NEED for Shellac.

Also, Shellac is not a gel... Think of it as polish with super staying power. HTH! :)

I think whatever services you offer your clients, that Shellac is a GREAT add-on to have available for them because it fills a need that has been around for DECADES.

I also think it will bring you new clients :D

My mother is a natural-nails gal ALL THE WAY. Lovely, long natural nails. She takes great care of them herself and doesn't like being fussed over. I've only done her nails twice. She loves my work. She just doesn't like the fuss.
BUT NOW... she wants Shellac.
No chipping, peeling, cracking etc for two weeks? She's SOLD.

I'm sure there's many more out there just like her.

If you add Shellac you are adding a new treatment, one your existing clients may not want but a whole bunch of other clients may like!

Sounds perfect reason to get it to me.

Mat

i have been reading lots on here about shellac and am very interested.

my question is 99% of my business is bio sculpture nno. so am i gaining anything from offering shellac? whats the difference/advanatages? will my clients change to shellac?

I was the same as you and my main business is Bio NNO, so when I first heard of Shellac I thought it was just another soak off gel..... it's NOT!!

Your Bio clients more than likely won't change over to Shellac, although some will.... it really IS like a nail polish and goes on like one and not a gel. My Bio clients just love it and are having their toes done, they used to have a normal polish but now they have Shellac and it lasts for weeks and weeks and still keeps a high shine.

I bought all 12 colours and made my money back in about 6 weeks... I was very surprised myself how popular it is!!:D

I have a lot of new clients now that I wouldn't have if it wasn't for Shellac.
I know a lot of clients just don't like gel and don't want something permanent on their nails... people are very busy these days and don't have the time to wait for a polish to dry.... you know how it is, you polish their nails and after 2 mins they say "can I go now"?... with Shellac they can!!

Those clients that get Bio Sculpture are telling their friends about Shellac and I'm booked out solid with it.

The lovely thing is, my diary is more varied now and I enjoy work more, so instead of NNOs taking up your diary, you'll have Shellac in there too.

thanks for your replies.

so if i offered shellac can u offer it as part of your manicure or is it a treatment done on its own?

If a new client wanted to know the difference between the 2 how would you sell shellac over bio gel? the fact that its not something that they have to keep having done regularly?

i understand i could gain new clients, but when i gain new ones they always want gel too so just want to make sure shellac is worth offering!

thanks for your replies.

so if i offered shellac can u offer it as part of your manicure or is it a treatment done on its own?

If a new client wanted to know the difference between the 2 how would you sell shellac over bio gel? the fact that its not something that they have to keep having done regularly?

i understand i could gain new clients, but when i gain new ones they always want gel too so just want to make sure shellac is worth offering!

Bio gel is very strong and lasts for weeks (my clients usually return after 4 weeks)... it takes longer to do and takes longer to remove and is more expensive... Shellac is thinner, looks like a polish but IS strong, but not AS strong as Bio gel and lasts for 2 weeks.

When you apply Shellac, you apply cuticle remover and push back the cuticles and file the nails and then apply Shellac... you could do a full manicure, but would have to do a reverse one.. ie Shellac and then scrub, oil and massage etc.

Any of the clients that have had Shellac, have had it re applied. It really is gorgeous and you'll be able to do your own nails too.

so basically if they want more strength to there nails if they are weak etc then bio gel would still be the best recommended, if they want a natural manicure then giving them the option of having shellac instead would be better.

so targeting clients who want a long lasting manicure with less strength than gel?

Ehhh it's up to you.

I'm a gel-only nail tech, and I started offering Shellac too. I lost a few of my bio clients to Shellac because it's cheaper and those people never want any art done. I'm glad they like Shellac, but it does make a difference on my profit for that day since I'm still relatively new in the area XP

so basically if they want more strength to there nails if they are weak etc then bio gel would still be the best recommended, if they want a natural manicure then giving them the option of having shellac instead would be better.

so targeting clients who want a long lasting manicure with less strength than gel?

Well yes and no... Shellac IS quite strong, but will not stand up to a lot of abuse, like Bio would. I have very thin and bendy nails and Shellac works for me.. in fact, my nails have improved and are much stronger than ever before.

If I was you, I'd go into a Salon in your area and try it out for yourself... nothing like wearing it and seeing it being done to answer any of your questions.

Well yes and no... Shellac IS quite strong, but will not stand up to a lot of abuse, like Bio would. I have very thin and bendy nails and Shellac works for me.. in fact, my nails have improved and are much stronger than ever before.

If I was you, I'd go into a Salon in your area and try it out for yourself... nothing like wearing it and seeing it being done to answer any of your questions.

Sorry to gate crash,,, but does shellac dry the nails???? you said that your nails are stronger so is it a treatment then???? do you have to do training????? and how much do you charge??? I don't know of any salon in my area doing it yet,,, I was thinking about buying one and seeing for
myself you sweet squared sell in if I all ready have an account with them.

Sorry to gate crash,,, but does shellac dry the nails???? you said that your nails are stronger so is it a treatment then???? do you have to do training????? and how much do you charge??? I don't know of any salon in my area doing it yet,,, I was thinking about buying one and seeing for
myself you sweet squared sell in if I all ready have an account with them.

I've been wearing enhancements for years (9 in total) and the reason I became a nail tech was because I had such bad nails.

I'm using Shellac now for months and I just can't believe the difference in my natural nails..... it's not a treatment, no, but for some reason my nails are in the best condition they've ever been in.

I'm in Ireland, so prices will differ, but I chrage €30.... Shellac doesn't damage your nails in any way, it just protects them really.

If you already have an account with S/S you can go ahead and order it.

The best thing about Shellac, is I can do my own nails now and it takes minutes rather than hours, so for me, it's the best thing since sliced bread :D

Latest posts

Back