My mum is here from VIC and booked in elsewhere for beauty!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lozenja

Reaction score
OMG, my mum has booked in to get her Shellac and tan done else where before my brothers wedding! Her reason being that she thought I would be "too busy"... nice thought but seriously!!

I hope the tech does a good job incase everyone at the wedding thinks it is my work!!

:-\

You see I wouldn't think like you...

I'd be like hope the tech does a god awful job so she wished she came to me in the first place haha xx

Thanks babe

Yep, she came back complaining. They only had 4 shellac colours to choose from and soaked off in bowl of acetone!! Looked like a good application though. Spray tan looked a little dark after her shower but we will see properly tomorrow when the colour developes... sigh!

I know how you feel... My cousins go elsewhere to have their nails done.
So did my boyfriend's friend's girlfriend. I was actually quite insulted, but did a little mutley laugh when I saw them posting on facebook about how the salons damaged their nails.
I posted a picture on my business page of my client's nails after L&P removal, to prove that there ISN'T meant to be damage.
It wouldn't be so bad, but my boyfriend's friend's girlfriend had actually booked 2 separate appointments with me previously and cancelled (on the day) because 'she didn't know what she wanted' and was 'confused'.

I've only been doing this for 5 months so I felt inadequate, as if it was a dig at me personally... but I'm holding my head up high knowing my clients are pleased with my services and it's their loss anyway!

xxx

I know how you feel... My cousins go elsewhere to have their nails done.
So did my boyfriend's friend's girlfriend. I was actually quite insulted, but did a little mutley laugh when I saw them posting on facebook about how the salons damaged their nails.
I posted a picture on my business page of my client's nails after L&P removal, to prove that there ISN'T meant to be damage.
It wouldn't be so bad, but my boyfriend's friend's girlfriend had actually booked 2 separate appointments with me previously and cancelled (on the day) because 'she didn't know what she wanted' and was 'confused'.

I've only been doing this for 5 months so I felt inadequate, as if it was a dig at me personally... but I'm holding my head up high knowing my clients are pleased with my services and it's their loss anyway!

xxx

awww that is a shame, but their loss! I had to sell/give mum a tango glove to take some of the tan off, it was so dark. Her finger tips were stained too. She went and got her nails redone as she hated the colour!! (gotcha) Not with me as I was doing the bridal partys nails by that stage.

I had a smile when I read about your pictures after L&P. That is a good way to show them you do a great job! But as we know not all people will come to see us & that is ok.

The bride (my sister in law) loved her nails!!! Bio-gel french. So that is a that matters :)

My mum does the exact same!! But worse!! She has a standing appointment every week in a salon up the road from me, then shows all my friends her nails in front of me "look at my lovely nails"

Funny thing is I trained along with the other salon owner and got a higher pass mark in my exam!! And I know am 10times better!! My mum just has a real problem with the fact am not married chose the career path and standing on my own two feet!!

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?nckcvx

This is why I'm glad my mum is my biggest fan and is always begging for appointments which are sometimes hard to give her as I'm booked solid some weeks. She won't dare go elsewhere as she doesn't "want them ruining her nails" lol her words not mine :p

lol god mums are funny arent they!!! mine comes in and tells me how to do the job lol

my mum has hers done with me every 2-3 weeks, shows all her friends and every shop etc she goes in...she is so supportive, shes the best advert ive got!!
this post made me feel very privileged to have my mum xx

My mum will only use me, sure it's because I don't charge her though!
My aunts and cousins and friends don't use me though, charming isn't it?!

Kim xx

I find it really insulting. My mother in law uses my competition, even though I wouldn't charge her...

I'm just at this very moment really upset as one of my 'best' friends :rolleyes: has just posted on fb about getting a spray tan tonight, when she knows I'll see it. I know everyone has the right to go wherever they want for treatments but I feel really hurt...

My sis-in-law is a great client though, very supportive xx

I find it really insulting. My mother in law uses my competition, even though I wouldn't charge her...

I'm just at this very moment really upset as one of my 'best' friends :rolleyes: has just posted on fb about getting a spray tan tonight, when she knows I'll see it. I know everyone has the right to go wherever they want for treatments but I feel really hurt...

My sis-in-law is a great client though, very supportive xx

awww you can't help but be hurt hey... One of the downers of facebook is you know what everyone is doing! Big hugs x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

It sounds like your mum honestly thought she was doing you a favour/giving you a break?! Little do they [family] know that most of us would rather squeeze them in at the crack of dawn than have them go elsewhere, eek!

My mum only has her nails done every 4 weeks and paints over the growth at week 3. I keep telling her that she can come and have them done every 3 weeks (I don't charge her) but she doesn't want to 'trouble me'. Bless her! She's coming around to the idea of coming more regularly though as I've told her she is my advertisement and must have perfect nails at all times! Hehehehe :lol:

It sounds like your mum honestly thought she was doing you a favour/giving you a break?! Little do they [family] know that most of us would rather squeeze them in at the crack of dawn than have them go elsewhere, eek!

My mum only has her nails done every 4 weeks and paints over the growth at week 3. I keep telling her that she can come and have them done every 3 weeks (I don't charge her) but she doesn't want to 'trouble me'. Bless her! She's coming around to the idea of coming more regularly though as I've told her she is my advertisement and must have perfect nails at all times! Hehehehe :lol:

Awww that is sweet of your mum! Yes, of course my mum is not a nasty person. She did think I was too busy. But I did say to her she should have booked in advance. I have a full time job as well as doing part time beauty, so money is not a huge issue. I always get intermediate family to pay for product to cover costs. I wish my mum lived near me then she would prob be more likely to be my regular/advert. She has the perfect nails for Shellac!!

I do my mum's nails and have on the odd occasion done my sister in laws but she doesn't live round here so she's allowed to go elsewhere!

But seriously, I think a lot of the time friends/relatives may be just trying to protect the relationship from any potential difficulties. Say, for example, nails lift, a couple break, or they just don't like them for some reason . . . how awkward and difficult for all concerned. They would be embarrassed to mention it, you would be embarrassed as well (even if it wasn't your fault) and before you know it, awkwardness all round.

I have clients who I have become really friendly with, who are hairdressers, but although I have been tempted, I avoid asking them to cut my hair because I think of what it would be like if I didn't like the cut or something, or I then wanted to change and go somewhere else, I'd likely lose a friend AND a client. Not exactly the same scenario, but you get the idea.

So just wondering if their thinking might follow this. Try not to take it personally.

And in the case of tanning, relatives may be too shy to strip off in front of you x

Ah, tis a shame your mummy doesn't live close, they are good adverts! ....unlike my sis to picks her off within a week, naughtly lady!

I don't know what other geeks do when it comes to family (the whole do I, don't I charge) as it's quite difficult, we need to cover our costs make a living but it's so hard taking their money - so what I've started doing with my mum is a swap - she does my ironing and I do her nails, bloomin perfect! I get my ironing done and mum gets her nails done and doesn't feel guilty that I don't charge, coz now i do (in a fashion). With one of my sister's she's a in Marketing so she does a lot of my marketing stuff which is also a good trade off :) and for bdays and chrimbos, they all ask for treatments! Even the men of the family ask for pedis! Ace. Heeheehee :)

Totally love the trade factor. I will have to sort it out!! I traded my services for the wedding as the present. Worked out well :)

I do my mum's nails free of charge, as we do it when she's over and we're just chatting anyway. Plus she helped me out financially when I started up and has been my model for training, and has always been there for me to bend her ear when things didn't go right :wink2:

My mum only has me, as well as a few of my aunts, one had me do her colour correction then carried on at the salon that caused her to need a "repair".
I felt so bad te other day when a girl came in with her child, I lived next door to her for years as a child ad trained with her sister so I thought its a little wrong that she wasn't having her sister do his hair.
My family who have me do their hair know I can tell if some1 else goes near it so wouldn't dare.
And they are my best advertisement, always telling people I done it when they get a compliment.

One aunt begged me to go on holiday with her so I could do her hair for her.
And on te plus side, I did 4 bridesmaids and the bride on a holiday wedding and they had only seen some of my family's hair I had done xoxo

Latest posts

Back