My room is naked-ideas for filling it in for max appeal and functionality?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miss_Redd

Reaction score
Hi all,

This will also a be a "Share your room" post. As stated in other posts, I am opening up my home facial/make-up studio in the next couple months.

I've just had the decorator visit and I've got my blank canvas ready to do. The non-patterned walls are actually a silver threaded type texture and the patterned walls have a taupe/heather colour with silver sparkles (wee hints of it).

My room is
8 x 8 (Feet) long--the window portion of the length adds another 2 plus feet, not taken into the 8x8
8 x 9 (Feet) long

I have loads of electrical outlets
I have an electrician coming at the end of the week to place a dimmer on the lights

I will be wanting the following to fit into there:

Facial chair/bed
Steamer (possibly attached to something with wheels)
Trolly
Lighted magnification glass for skin evaluations
Facial stool for me

A make-up table
Make up chair
Lighted mirror
Make up stool for me (may be same as facial stool)

Shelving, this may be free-standing cubes (just an idea?)

Some questions (but feel free to share your's, or add comments and/or ideas too!)

Where to place the facial bed. I think this will be important as it needs to be relaxing but also in the best most functional place. I am thinking facing away from the windows? That little nook you see in the pics is possibly roomy enough for me to sit at the head of the bed, but not sure about accessing tools.

If you had this blank canvas, what would you do with it and where would you place things?

Thanks in advance and please don't be shy to share your beautiful rooms! It always helps to see everyone's creations!

Here are some pictures: (Complimentary cat given with each facial!. Kidding! LOL)

Attachments

• Room view 1.jpg
    Room view 1.jpg
    312.3 KB · Views: 461
  • Window View.jpg
    Window View.jpg
    397.9 KB · Views: 293
  • Room view 3.jpg
    Room view 3.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:
Pinterest would be perfect for this kind of thing! theres some amazing ideas on there which you can see visually to see if it fits your room.
Its looking good though!
Best Wishes,
Mel

Thanks Mel!

I've been living on Pinterest. There are some gorgeous ideas there. It would really help just to hear about little things that others have done that make sense to maximising their space. It might be something like how they position their products and tools during a facial.

I don't have running water in this room, but super close to a sink in another room. I plan on using a towel heater, steamer, and will also use some sort of equipment for keeping water warm.

I'm really curious to know if anyone has experience in being really happy with how they've set up their room functionally as well as aesthetically.

I suppose some will be very fengshui about it, whilst others will be very technical.

Thanks as always for your help Mel!! :)

Pinterest would be perfect for this kind of thing! theres some amazing ideas on there which you can see visually to see if it fits your room.
Its looking good though!
Best Wishes,
Mel

Also check out the thread in business ita called show us your set ups or something similar. Some amazing ideas on there.

Also you can get some great storage ideas and display ideas from ikea. O know they are for households really but the majority can be adapted for salons too

Thanks very much! I actually went and checked out IKEA and found this great table. I also saw it on Pinterest:

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/10203610/
so
Also below is an example of what someone did with it:

https://uk.pinterest.com/pin/267119821623809752/

I need to find some shelving. Thinking maybe something with cubes?

Also check out the thread in business ita called show us your set ups or something similar. Some amazing ideas on there.

Also you can get some great storage ideas and display ideas from ikea. O know they are for households really but the majority can be adapted for salons too

The ikea malm range is very popular so could easily use that but if you want more storage etc then you could use the pax wardrobe frames and add in the shelves etc or even the kitchen metod range and can plan the space out using the planners at the bottom of the website. Also i think the nils dining chairs would be great for make up x

Thanks for that! I went and found some other shelving as you mentioned. I also found some great drawers for either side of the table in the IKEA office section. :)

The ikea malm range is very popular so could easily use that but if you want more storage etc then you could use the pax wardrobe frames and add in the shelves etc or even the kitchen metod range and can plan the space out using the planners at the bottom of the website. Also i think the nils dining chairs would be great for make up x

Oh you will have to show us when your all up and running xx

Oh this will be my first stop when I get myself together. I am sure everyone knows this same doe in the headlights feeling eh?! haha! xx

Oh you will have to show us when your all up and running xx

Thanks very much! I actually went and checked out IKEA and found this great table. I also saw it on Pinterest:

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/10203610/
so
Also below is an example of what someone did with it:

https://uk.pinterest.com/pin/267119821623809752/

I need to find some shelving. Thinking maybe something with cubes?

If you're thinking cubes, the Kallax shelving is awesome! I have a large one for my reception desk and a small four cube for the treatment room with drawer units in them. My whole spa is practically Ikea :p

I really like those. They are super versatile, as you can leave them open (maybe stack clean towels there) and insert boxes (for bits that don't need to be seen). I think I am going to add these to my list. Also, they are easy to move round and I really believe most spas tend to be very movable. :)

If you're thinking cubes, the Kallax shelving is awesome! I have a large one for my reception desk and a small four cube for the treatment room with drawer units in them. My whole spa is practically Ikea :p

What did you type into Pinterest other than beauty salon decor ? I've been looking but it's all the same I'm getting

Here are some searches I've stringed together to give me ideas.

This one is for lighting for makeup room:
https://uk.pinterest.com/search/pin...oom&rs=typed&0=lighting for makeup room|typed

Room ideas for SPA
https://uk.pinterest.com/search/pin...=typed&0=room|typed&1=ideas|typed&2=spa|typed

Facial Studio Decor
https://uk.pinterest.com/search/pin...d&0=Facial|typed&1=studio|typed&2=decor|typed

Home Salon ideas:

https://uk.pinterest.com/search/pin...1=salon|autocomplete|1&2=ideas|autocomplete|1

What did you type into Pinterest other than beauty salon decor ? I've been looking but it's all the same I'm getting

All your links miss redd go to the ikea catalogue and not Pinterest sadly :(

Hi miss redd
I am by no means an expert but I do have my own salon and have worked in various places before this. If this was my room id like to have the head of my bed nearest the window ( I think you suggested this) that nook would also be handy for your stool. I like my product trolley with facial products and towel steamer to be near me on my right hand side. I've also got my mag lamp attached to the same trolley.
It might be nice to have some display shelves at the end of the bed on that wall (facing the client if they are sat up) it would be a good way to introduce your sales and also a talking point when clients are sat up on the couch. I also have a tub chair (I think that's what they're called from ikea) in my room and this is great for clients to leave things on/sit down to get dressed, put shoes on etc. I'm not sure if you'd have room for this so perhaps a hook with hangers on the back of your door for their clothes.
Like others have said, ikea is a great place to get all sorts of furniture - you just need to use your imagination a bit and also plenty of ideas from other geeks.
Your room looks great and I wish you the best of luck.
Hope that helps

Sam X

That's very strange! I've tested them and they work on my side. Try this instead, just find the string I used in the search by copying the titles before each link. See if that works for you :)

All your links miss redd go to the ikea catalogue and not Pinterest sadly :(

Sam! You are a star! This is exactly the information I am looking for. I suppose when we do these things for years, we don't think about the most simple steps to a maximal set-up. I was even wondering about the best places for the steamer and mag light and you have helped me with that too!

I am heading back over to Ikea, spent a good part of yesterday there (online!) for shelving, etc. I am now thinking about seating as well as where I am going to set up my make-up table, which I think might be to the right wall of the bed (as I am totally going with your suggestion of having the head of the bed at the window. I can then put the make up table along that right hand wall. I can use the left hand side for seating/changing area and a few storage cabinets (small ones maybe?)

Many thanks!

Hi miss redd
I am by no means an expert but I do have my own salon and have worked in various places before this. If this was my room id like to have the head of my bed nearest the window ( I think you suggested this) that nook would also be handy for your stool. I like my product trolley with facial products and towel steamer to be near me on my right hand side. I've also got my mag lamp attached to the same trolley.
It might be nice to have some display shelves at the end of the bed on that wall (facing the client if they are sat up) it would be a good way to introduce your sales and also a talking point when clients are sat up on the couch. I also have a tub chair (I think that's what they're called from ikea) in my room and this is great for clients to leave things on/sit down to get dressed, put shoes on etc. I'm not sure if you'd have room for this so perhaps a hook with hangers on the back of your door for their clothes.
Like others have said, ikea is a great place to get all sorts of furniture - you just need to use your imagination a bit and also plenty of ideas from other geeks.
Your room looks great and I wish you the best of luck.
Hope that helps

Sam X

I think it was my iPad oops!!! Ok so you want it quite modern in style? As Sam has already suggested I would have the head of the bed near the window and your chair there as well. Then have your retail unit at the end of your bed or on the wall where the door is when open (if that makes sense). On the left wall I would put some tall boys and between them a lower unit that you can put a big mirror up and a chair for the make up. Did you want a little reception for computer etc or not? I think if you want it quite modern then it will also have to be quite minimal in appearance. IKEA is great for really getting creative with furniture and adapting to your specific needs. Check out ikea hacks to see if there is anything suitable there too. Just be aware that some ranges are of less a quality then others though. Also for the make up chair do check out the dining a living room chairs as a lot you can change the covers so if you have an accident than its easily resolved. Hthal x

Thanks for that! I am really so excited that you ladies have so much experience. I am also really excited about the Ikea thing, as I can tell they have some really clean and simple lines. I will for sure be checking with you regarding certain brands though. I do want to be sure they are the best and sturdiest choices.

I don't think I will do too much reception right upon the start, but I am surely considering using our dining room which leads right to the treatment room. Hubby suggested making it double as a sitting room/waiting room. It's a really cute room, will have to post some pics of it. I was thinking of some little sofas and maybe even a big screen TV on the wall that shows different skincare things, marketing and fun stuff like that.

Another idea I've just come up with, and maybe I am being too fancy, but I thought of creating playlists. You know, like get different types of music sets and name them. When ladies make their appts I can ask them to choose which set they would like and get it ready on the bluetooth speakers. It's just a little something special maybe? x

I think it was my iPad oops!!! Ok so you want it quite modern in style? As Sam has already suggested I would have the head of the bed near the window and your chair there as well. Then have your retail unit at the end of your bed or on the wall where the door is when open (if that makes sense). On the left wall I would put some tall boys and between them a lower unit that you can put a big mirror up and a chair for the make up. Did you want a little reception for computer etc or not? I think if you want it quite modern then it will also have to be quite minimal in appearance. IKEA is great for really getting creative with furniture and adapting to your specific needs. Check out ikea hacks to see if there is anything suitable there too. Just be aware that some ranges are of less a quality then others though. Also for the make up chair do check out the dining a living room chairs as a lot you can change the covers so if you have an accident than its easily resolved. Hthal x

Your room looks lovely.

We have used feng shui extensively. We have no mirrors in the treatment rooms and very little decor. We use the ikea units that house their storage boxes and have a kitchen unit with make up on. This has fabulous storage with the drawers underneath.

I personally have been doing advanced facials (as oppose to just manual ones) for over 15 years and have never used a steamer or hot towels. I personally find the towel caddy too hot. Be sure you need all you're going to use.

Ikea do some slightly shallower kitchen units with the same great storage - mine is arriving tomorrow so will try and do a pic x

Latest posts

Back