My son wants to be a Nail Technician

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs Bod

Reaction score
Hi all, I wonder if anyone had any tips for my 15 year old son who has recently been chatting with me about becoming a Nail Technician.

He says that since I've had a change in career this last year, he's become really keen on it. He even said today that he advised a girl in his class that she shouldn't paint so close to the skin! :)

He's a great kid, I'm so proud of him and I said I would ask you guys what tips you might have for someone training from a younger age.

I don't think the advice that has worked for me coming to the industry so late would necessarily be the same for a young-un.

Any advice greatly appreciated by us both :)

I would show him a few copies of Scratch mag so that he can see for himself that it really is a viable career choice for him and some of the best techs in the world are men!

I came into the industry late like you so I'm not much good in that sense but I think a little bit of work experience in a salon environment would be great for him if that's possible, even just making the tea so he can see what the job really involves might be useful for him!

My 7 year old son now critiques my work for me :irked:

Maybe, if he hasn't found them already, he'd like to have a look at the Youngs Nails videos on you tube for a bit of male nail tech inspiration.

Young Nails Education Videos - YouTube

That is great advise. Young Nails are the best to learn from. Organics has a guy doing some great Youtube videos also, they are in Spanish, but you still learn ton if you do not speak Spanish.

I started doing nails at 15 with my Mum's kit at home when she was out the house! She had decided to make a big life/career change at 40 and was doing her nail course. She opened a little salon and I started working along side her when I turned 16. Being able to go into business with her at such a young age was the best thing that could ever have happened to me.
Your son won't be able to do a course and get insured until he is 16, but he can keep his interest going until then. The nail industry is heathy, strong and still growing, it's a great industry for a young person to get into imo.
15 years on my Mum and I are still in business together and both the business and our relationship is better now than it ever was, and it was always great. :)
Good luck!

Last year, while on summer leave from University, my 19 year old son decided he fancied having a go at being a nail technician. At first I thought I would train him myself and buy him a kit so that he could offer his services to the girls at Uni once he got back.

In the end I decided we would do things properly! I sent him on a manicure and pedicure course and then a Gelish and and OPI GelColor course. I went along as his model to all the courses. I paid for his insurance and bought him the whole kit right down to business cards and flyers.

Before he went back to Uni he had lots of practice on me and my daughter's friends.

Unfortunately he was too shy to advertise the service and has not done one set of nails at University :irked:

However, a few weeks ago I went away for a week and asked him if he would like to do my clients because I know he is good enough. Amazingly he said yes. I spaced them half an hour longer than I do for myself, and obviously checked with each client first, he charged a little less. The feedback was amazing, they all loved him! I am so pleased for him and with him. He has vowed to get his little business going when he gets back to Uni this September.

I doubt very much it will be his main career (he's doing a Politics Degree), but it is a great thing to put on a CV, have as a fall back career and a good way to meet the girls! It is also a great help to me if I go on holiday again - no backlog to come back to.

If your son wants to have a go book him on some courses as soon as he is old enough - you go as a model too - you never know what you will learn.

I love him doing my nails too, gives us a bit of precious "us time", which I miss now that he is all grown up:cry:

I'm so happy to see your son wants to follow you into nails :)

I have 2 sons and I am hoping one of them will follow me and we can have a joint business later on. My oldest son who is only 2yrs and 5 months has been watching me practising my massage moves on my husband. He can now hack and cup :D

You must be so proud of him :) xx

My daughter has followed me into a career in beauty and she now works for me. All I would say is don't be a teacher. I have sat back and tried to let her teachers teach her beauty, then I have taught her the way I like things done, so we both offer a similar service. She also works in a really busy, popular pub, so she knows how to welcome people and make them feel looked after. That has been great practice for people skills. I gave her every encouragement I could, but made sure it really was her decision!

Great advice from everyone. I agree with letting him read scratch etc, YouTube videos too.

Maybe get him to have a Ho at doing your nails or polishing and filing tips etc to get some basic skills.

Do you have Marion Newman's book? That would be a good start for him too xx

Aww you must be so proud. I hope one of my boys want to follow in my footsteps once they are older. They are only 3 and 1, but already take an interest.

Maybe show him all these comments with support and advice, buy him books so he can really read up and let him practice on you to see its something he will enjoy...after all professionals make it look easy,it does take some patience and a lot of practice :)

I wish him the very best :) keep up updated on him. Xxxx

My male cousins and I went to nail school together back when I was 15-16, while their friends went to pursue careers in auto mechanics and IT. It's been about 12 years now and they own their own salons in the suburbs back home (One has his wife managing it). It's common in my family for some of the males to grow an interest in nail technology. It usually starts out as an interest in the business aspect, but later grows into the artistic aspect. Really funny to go chill out with them and talk about nails and new techniques over a couple of beers haha

Massive thanks to all of you who have given their advice :)

My son says thank you too! :) I am currently doing my CND Enhance course and my son is going to help me with revision... the weather is nice here today and we are going to buy "revision snacks" and camp out in the garden with my books this afternoon :)

This weekend he's going to be giving me a "Mummycure" ;)

Our own Mr Geek is a nail technician (big difference between being a nail technician and a manicurist) and proficient in all systems. So look where doing nails can lead you, young man!!!

It is a much longer learning curve than being a manicurist, but it is the technicalities using all the systems that keeps interest alive. Many men are exceptionally good at doing nails because of the technical side of it.

Last edited:
Many men are exceptionally good at doing nails because of the technical side of it.

Yes! The late Tom Holcomb, and Ketan Patel whom I've had the pleasure of meeting recently :D They do nails WAY better than me...

I was taught by ketan patel. One word AMAZING!!!!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

.(big difference between being a nail technician and a manicurist) and proficient in all systems.

OK, so my boy is a manicurist and will probably be no more than that. I'm still proud of him.

OK, so my boy is a manicurist and will probably be no more than that. I'm still proud of him.

I also taught my grandson manicuring and Shellac so he could make extra money at school and whilst at Uni ... He also was to shy to let anyone know that he could do it!! Silly boy that he is.

I know many a nail technician who has put themselves through Uni and paid for it themselves by doing nails. Too bad they didn't have Shellac in those days ... If they had, they would not have had to learn enhancement and all that entails to make the money.

Latest posts

Back