my timing is awful

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ariaaland

Reaction score
hi all how are you all doing i do hope you are well... anyway i need your honest opinion on this matter of have with my timing. i find that i am very slow i use the excuse that i am thorough to my clients but i really am slow.. no matter what i do i cant seem to do it fast enough like i guess other techs do. for example a simple pedicure takes me at least an hour.. why god only knows.. so you can well imagine a spa pedicure will take me two including polishing and design. on staurday i had a client come to me at 300pm to soak off her acrlyic and put on a new set. anyway to soak off and size her tips clean her cuticles and prepr and apply the tips then i had to etch the tips cuz they werent pre-etched and then apply acrylic and the buff and shape and polish took me 3 hrs. minus about 6 mins she took in the ladies room. i felt so bad cuz she started timing me. ithappens all the time and i try very hard to cut down my timing on all aspects but it does not seem to work. do you think i am perfectionist> i make sure to do my prep carefully as i want no lifting and i clean out under the freedge to make sure no dirt or grime is there, i also make sure to size the tips properly to ensure proper fit. i just dont know she is my regular client and she tells me all the time that i take long but i think i am jyst being thorough. what do you all think? i feel it is necessary for me to make up more time so i can fit in more clients at this rate i can only do 1 or 2 sets per day. HELP!!!!:cry:

Hello!
My pedicures take me about the same time as yours do and I feel good about it! To me, I find there's nothing worse than going for a pedi and they're rushing through it. I feel like "ok, I paid $60 for what???". You know what I mean? My clients all appreciate the time I spend on their feet as they feel they're getting their money's worth.

As for nails, if you're only working part-time at it, don't worry. Your timing will come down eventually. I too am a perfectionist and can't handle it if the nails don't look as good as I could get them. My clients know this and also appreciate it. I take about 1 hr 45 min for a new set and the same amount of time for a fill. It was taking me about 2 hours previously but just recently, that time has come down! :) :)

Just don't let your clients pressure you as that will make you nervous and your work won't be as good. Just explain to them that you're relatively new and that you take pride in your work and want them to have the best nails you can provide. If they want a 30 min job, let them go elsewhere!! :mad:

I hope this advice helps you.
Carmen :hug:

You've been doing nails less than a year, right? So don't be too hard on yourself, I don't think 3hrs for removing & applying a full set for someone that doesn't have a huge amount of experience. I would allow 2hrs 15 min (usually allow 1hr for removal & 1 1/2 hr for full set, but wouldn't do the mini mani I do after removal). How long does a full set take? or an infill?

Do you allow yourself losts of time for treatments? I find it best when your trying to speed up to give your self a bit of pressure. ie if a full set takes you 2hrs book your next client after 1hr 45/50mins. Once you get used to that, cut another 10/15mins off.

If you don't push yourself, you wont speed up. I often find if I've got a slow day everything takes me alot longer.

Having said that, don't be unrealistic. A quality set is more important than a quick set.

as for your pedicure, I see it as a very relaxing treatment, so you can do my feet anytime, the longer the better. Make sure you charge accordingly.

If your customers are leaving happy with their nails, then that is the most important thing. Having been at it for just under a year, you like me, are trying to improve on our work and times. You will get there as will I but with practice practice practice!! If you worked in a salon you would be there by now because you would be doing one set after the other. Relax. stressing about it will only frustrate you more.
Cheers
xxxxx:green:

There are many things that you can do to speed up without sacrificing quality.

You have to work at it though and set goals. Having a system is essential for everything even your filing and finishing.

At the early stages, students always spend too much time checking everything. this is normal. Gradually, you will not have to check your work so much as you grow more confident in how you lay your product down.

Try not to use too many files and brushes etc. EVERY time you put one down to pick up another you sacrifice time (particularly dusting brushes for checking)

An experienced technician will not use a dusting brush until finished ... will not use 5 different files, will not check every 2 minutes if something is right or not. She will know from experience. There is no substitute for experience and it takes time to gain it.

i always fall behind during manicures when a person comes in wearing polish, any tips on how to remove it faster? i was taught not to buff the nails with a white buffer block in school, at work, they want us to do that, some of the girls do it hard too, isnt this bad for the nails? this may be a step i could skip to speed up, doesnt the girlfriend work just as good as moving ridges?

I also have this problem now, since im new to the acrylic system (l+p), it takes a long time to make a set. I check everything all the time, so i guess thats what takes all the time. I hope by time, i will speed up and it still be good work. I used to do the Extreme system before, and it was so quick to do - but the system i just learnt now, takes much more time.

hi all just came on and read your responses. i thank you all for the encouraging words and will take the advice offered and try and cut down on my timing by practising more. but you know how it feels whenthe customer makes you feel like you are taking forever. its really pressuring but i will try not to let it bother me.. thanks again and have a good one

beautynails said:
You've been doing nails less than a year, right? So don't be too hard on yourself, I don't think 3hrs for removing & applying a full set for someone that doesn't have a huge amount of experience. I would allow 2hrs 15 min (usually allow 1hr for removal & 1 1/2 hr for full set, but wouldn't do the mini mani I do after removal). How long does a full set take? or an infill?

Do you allow yourself losts of time for treatments? I find it best when your trying to speed up to give your self a bit of pressure. ie if a full set takes you 2hrs book your next client after 1hr 45/50mins. Once you get used to that, cut another 10/15mins off.

If you don't push yourself, you wont speed up. I often find if I've got a slow day everything takes me alot longer.

Having said that, don't be unrealistic. A quality set is more important than a quick set.

as for your pedicure, I see it as a very relaxing treatment, so you can do my feet anytime, the longer the better. Make sure you charge accordingly.
thank you :hug: you made my day

Latest posts

Back