Mysterious orange stain, can't get it out, any ideas?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foundlings

Reaction score
Hello fellow geeks, I've become stuck with a colour, which really worries me as I'm usually very confident with what I do colour wise!!!

Have a client who has had quite a bit of bleach all over in the last few months, gentle bleach baths mostly to remove a 'lovely honey blonde' home colur she bought (which I was annoyed with at the time, but I'm very forgiving!). So anyway after months of gentle lightening and toning we have a lovely clean light blonde which doesn't show her almost 100% white roots when they grow. When they do I colour them with 1/2 10/1 1/2 10/03 which is lovely, and refresh the ends with affinage cool white pure semi. All perfect, easy, no probs (though still porous and refuses point blank to get it cut at all)

Now suddenly she has a patch of hair which has turned really orange, just one localised area, looks to me like when tanning products come into contact with porous hair - though she swears she hasn't used anything cosmetic that could have done it?!

Yesterday tried to remove it, first with bleach and water as I didn't expect it to be that stable, then when it wasn't shifting at all tried bleach and 6%, hardly touched it, if anything it became brighter (ever tried to bleach out majicontrast? Same effect). Ended up more apricot than bright orange...

Told her I am reluctant to bleach more as the condition is really starting to suffer, toner won't be enough because it is SO different to the rest of her hair, and without knowing the cause I'm a bit stumped! Oh and she phoned this morning to say it is now brighter orange again, so whatever it is that's causing it is obviously still happening????? :Scared:

I have come across this too. I thought it was fake tan or nicotine. Client denied contact with either of those. The only other thought I had was color residue as it gets brighter on contact with bleach. I had a client that used coloured mousse for a party and the more I tried to bleach it back out the worse it was. I ended up using colour remover which shifted it. As soon as I got any peroxide near it it reappeared tho.

Thanks for that, nice to know I'm not going mental! I was convinced it was fake tan, I'm sure I've seen a bottle of the moisturiser that contains a little bit of tan stuff in this Lady's bathroom, though even when I asked direct she's adamant she hasn't used anything like that (thought maybe she's just telling me porkies?!). I have some effassor colour remover, reckon that'll do it?

i had a client similar , turned out she wasnt applying her make-up with her glasses on and got it mostly on her hair -it leaves a stain/permanant residue that can be peachy

i had a client similar , turned out she wasnt applying her make-up with her glasses on and got it mostly on her hair -it leaves a stain/permanant residue that can be peachy

That's a definite possibility for a cause! Am trying to get a photo off of my phone (new phone and new laptop at same time -erk!) so I can show you extent of it, it's quite a large area! What did you do for the make-up stain?

Hi again! Sorry to be like a dog with a bone, but are there any other suggestions with what to do about the mystery peach patch? I will do a strand test with effassor asap, but any other ideas would be really appreciated, just been on the Wella helpline and they had no solutions unfortunately :confused:

well, in case anyone's interested in this saga (or has any suggestions?!)...

Today I went back to my lady with the large orange chunk, used effassor and hot water for 45mins (determined not to use any peroxide after persianista's advice!), this worked perfectly on test strand. Looked absolutely perfect cream ashy blonde when product wiped off, add water and... orange!

Toned with affinage cool white pure semi for 30 mins, looked like it had grabbed really well, wiped off with cotton wool to reveal perfect cream ashy blonde, add water again... ORANGE!!! Silver shampoo and conditioner, no effect :Scared:

In the end went for a bit of a restyle and cut out most of the colour by adding layers, but for goodness sake what was it???!!!

The orange came back with water?????? Metallic salts maybe? If you still have the test cutting, dunk it in a bit of perm lotion. If it gives off bubbles or fizzes or warms up, then that is your answer.
Fake tan normally washes off hair ok, as does makeup.
Is the area it has appeared on extra porous/ lighter than the rest of the hair?

Latest posts

Back