Nail advice?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tanhead

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I've just popped over from Hair to get some advice from you lovely nail experts.. I've been having acrylics for YEARS and have finally been brave enough to take them off! but OMG my nails are in a right old state... i really don't think i can ever go totally natural (although i'd love to) being a hairdresser my nails are always weak and break easily but i know the acrylic is very damaging :eek:

I'm pretty sure that profesional false nails have come a long way and i would like to hear about other methods that are perhaps slightly better for my nails than the acrylic?? and also something a bit more natural looking too?? (i'm not asking for much am i?!)

I would really appreciate any help or advice you could offer.. :biggrin:

Thanks! xx

Hi there

Acyrlic isn't damaging it could be the technician that has applied them, or the poor quality product applied. With a combination of poor aftercare inbetween appointments.

If you want something more natural looking, you could have a Buff off Gel overlays if your nails are weak. If your nails don't peel, you could try Shellac. Although if you are used to the strength of your acrylic you may need to go natural with a good base and top coat to protect your nails, whilst you get used to your own nails before going for the Shellac.

I am sure someone else will come along with better advice then me, but thought I would make a start.

Oh and also, get yourself some SolarOil and apply that at least twice a day, it will really benefit your natural nails.

Have you tried a gel overlay on your nails,or shellac?

I havent used shellac yet but i believe it will help strengthen your nails, and dont forget your cuticle oil twice a day .

I wear Shellac pretty constantly now.

I usually change my colour every 3 weeks or just before 3 weeks if convenient, but sometimes I don't get to re-colouring for a week or two so they are just natural at that time.

My nails are in good condition now, and pretty strong naturally. But I wore L&P and sometimes gel enhancments for 25 years thinking I could never have natural nails as I was always a picker and had very short nails because of it.

Over 2 years ago I started to trial Shellac thinking it would never offer the strength I needed. At first I had the odd bit of peeling because my nails were dehydrated after wearing 'nails' for all that time but they werent what you would call trashed. After 2 Shellac colour changes and the growth that occured during that time of 6 weeks, all the little issues on some nails stopped entirely and I have never had a single breakdown since. Can't believe that a polish can give me the amount of strength I need, to have natural nails and no breakages.

ah thanks very much for your help.. Shellac i've heard of.. is it applied just to natural nails?? and do they have to be a certain length first? great advice about cuticle oil too.. will get some of that tomorrow! :biggrin: xx

ah thanks very much for your help.. Shellac i've heard of.. is it applied just to natural nails?? and do they have to be a certain length first? great advice about cuticle oil too.. will get some of that tomorrow! :biggrin: xx

Shellac is applied to natural nails.

The therapist should do absolutley NO buffing of the natural nail before application.

It is best to start short and neat and watch them grow like wildfire!! lol In 3 weeks they will be a decent length.

You may have to have one or two applications until your nails grow sufficinetly to get rid of any damage ... can take up to 6 weeks or more, but they will look good while they are growing through.

Use Solar Oil every day. xx You will love Shellac.

Just an FYI, at the salon & spa I work in, we are always putting Shellac on our hair stylists as a marketing tool and I have to tell you, even with all the hair they do, Shellac stays on them a good 10 - 14 days!

I really think you'll love it.

Have you thought about maybe trying shellac, or any of the gel polishes such as gelish? X

Just an FYI, at the salon & spa I work in, we are always putting Shellac on our hair stylists as a marketing tool and I have to tell you, even with all the hair they do, Shellac stays on them a good 10 - 14 days!

I really think you'll love it.

I'm liking the sound of this stuff!

Hi there

I am sure someone else will come along with better advice then me, but thought I would make a start.

Oh and also, get yourself some SolarOil and apply that at least twice a day, it will really benefit your natural nails.

Your advice was great thanks.. is SolarOil better than normal cuticle oil then? And would i be able to get it in the wholesalers?? xx

I think you will like it a lot. Right now, I'd avoid gel polishes because they require buffing of your natural nail plate. If your nails are in the condition you say they are, you need to avoid any further damage, even if it's minimal.

After your nails have mended, you can explore other non-traditional polish options. Right now, you need something gentle on your natural nail. Shellac offers that.

Your advice was great thanks.. is SolarOil better than normal cuticle oil then? And would i be able to get it in the wholesalers?? xx

There's nothing on the market like Solar Oil. It penetrates through polishes and Shellac to nourish your natural nail. It's an amazing product! We swear by it.

Wow! sounds fantastic this SolarOil! Thank you very much everyone.. Shellac it is then! xx :biggrin:

Your tech who does your shellac should be able to sell you a solar oil.

Beware of places selling a product as shellac when it's not. Do a bit of research on here first. I wrote a thread when I started titled something like: going for a shellac manicure what to look for. And got some good advice on there.

Follow Lolly's advice as many are trying to trade off the Shellac reputation by saying they offer the service and then palm you off with something else.

If it does not say CND on every Bottle and does not say CND on the lamp then it is not Shellac.

Persianista offers genuine Shellac and I can recommend others depending on where you are.

That doesn't surprise me at all! but thanks for the warning.. i will defo look up some of the threads on here first. I'm in North West London but can travel! xx

That doesn't surprise me at all! but thanks for the warning.. i will defo look up some of the threads on here first. I'm in North West London but can travel! xx

You may be near Anna ... she is also a Shellac Ambassador. I will get her to send you her details. She is called *flower* here on the site. Send her a pm. She does lovely work. x

Latest posts

Back