Nail art over gel polish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zznailszz

Reaction score
Please could I ask for your opinion on what people find best and longer lasting when handpainting over gel polish - do you use acrylic paint and then gel topcoat or paint only with gel polish before topcoating? Thanksx

You can do either, but you may find Gel Polish is not pigmented enough, you usually need two coats of colour to get full colour depth which you just cant do with flowers/patterns/art., so people use paints, stamping polishes (which tend to be highly pigmented), normal polish, etc. You just need to ensure you allow enough time for the art to fully dry before you top coat, and ensure there is enough of the colour coat for the topcoat to stick to or it will peel (so don't cover the whole nail completely in art)

Thkyou Trinity, I normally stamp so not used to freehand nail art. The photo a client has given me has some unusual colours which I don't think I can even achieve with the limited stamping polishes I have so will try with acrylic paint, just hope the gel top coat holds!!

I usually do the gel polish colour, top coat after wipe the sticky coat nail art with acrylic paint ant another top coat and they last very well for 3 weeks.

Attachments

• IMG_20160921_214140411.jpg
    IMG_20160921_214140411.jpg
    455.5 KB · Views: 265
Thkyou, do you find any lifting/chipping? What acrylic do you use?x

I'm really interested in this too!! Been trying to find the best way to do it for ages!!! You're right, gel polish just doesn't seem thick enough to do any designs in!! I've just bought my first stamping kit from MoYou London (yet to arrive) but I was wondering, do you stamp after you apply the top coat and wipe, then apply another top coat...or stamp after the colour and before you apply the top coat?!xx

I'm really interested in this too!! Been trying to find the best way to do it for ages!!! You're right, gel polish just doesn't seem thick enough to do any designs in!! I've just bought my first stamping kit from MoYou London (yet to arrive) but I was wondering, do you stamp after you apply the top coat and wipe, then apply another top coat...or stamp after the colour and before you apply the top coat?!xx
When I'm stamping I generally always totally finish the shellac, cure the top coat & wipe with IPA, stamp then re-apply top coat xx

When I'm stamping I generally always totally finish the shellac, cure the top coat & wipe with IPA, stamp then re-apply top coat xx
Wonderful!! Thank you!!xx

Just had another thought...[emoji23] is that the same with striping tape?! That's a task I can't seem to fathom either!!!xx

Just had another thought...[emoji23] is that the same with striping tape?! That's a task I can't seem to fathom either!!!xx
Yeah same idea :) xx

Yeah same idea :) xx
Aahh brilliant!! I'm a laser practitioner now (although trained as a beauty therapist) and the clinic I work at doesn't do nails so I really miss it!! I have a couple of home clients but not many so I'm a bit out of touch with all this new nail art!! Thank you again :) xx

Your welcome :) hope your clients love it! Xx

Stamp after you apply the colour and before the top coat, that's how I've seen it done and it works well X

Stamp after you apply the colour and before the top coat, that's how I've seen it done and it works well X
Thkyou, do you find any lifting/chipping? What acrylic do you use?x
I'm using "Artiste" from Docrafts , Americana ( good for stripes, dots, small flowers or any free hand) the best for me on one stroke method is "Winsor & Newton" and as long I don't go to close to the cuticle area ( I leave about 1mm) and cover it with top coat is no chipping if I'm going to close to cuticle will be some lifting/chipping. I hope this help :)

I use gel paint (more pigmented than gel polish) for single color/simple designs:
Gel base- cure
2 coats of gel color- cure
Gel paint design- cure
Gel top coat- cure

For more detailed nail art I use acrylic paints:
Gel base- cure
2 coats of gel color- cure
Gel top coat- cure
Remove tacky layer
Buff and clean the nail (i buff the nail so the paint sticks, appying it to too smooth a surface can cause peeling)
Apply acrylic paint design and let it completely dry to also prevent peeling.
And then to finish I use a thin gel base coat over the design (so the gel top coat has something to stick to) and a gel top coat.

I hope that helps!

Oohh I will have to try both methods on some nail pops before my clients, see which works best for me. Thanks for the tip! [emoji5]️

Oohh I will have to try both methods on some nail pops before my clients, see which works best for me. Thanks for the tip! [emoji5]️

I tend to completely finish with top coat or you compromise the longevity of the gel polish, if you do nail art & make a mistake it might take a little of the colour whereas if you completely finish with top coat then do nail art & mess it up it won't matter :) xx

MisAshton I love that tree , sweet for Halloween .

I've had another go at acrylic paint over gel polish after top coat (slightly buffed) and the acrylic paint is stripy and not consistent colour. Going mad with this!! Cannot work out what I'm doing wrong. I can stamp easily and quickly but can't hand paint!! Grrrrrr!!!!

I use both the Akzentz gel play line (soo pigmented) and acrylic paints I have leftover from my art student days.
I do love how easy it is to 'edit' your art with gels though :)

Latest posts

Back