Nail art - technique query help please!!!!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redser

Reaction score
Hi just recently qualified in gel nails, using young nails products. I have just done a nail art course and it was using Kaleidoscope gel paint with glitters etc - fab products and loved the final finish. I have plenty of ideas and can't wait to try them out.

My question is i purchased nail art pens to do nail art(a brush and pen in one-as a tempory measure), is this what people use or do they use coloured gels with nail art brushes and dotting tools? I have found that when using these pens/brushes to do art its not very strong, streaky - could be my technique or just bad product. I read a thread about mixing 2 or 3 drops of enamel to gel and there was comments that this works well. Wld be delighted if this worked, haven't tried it yet.

Am a little confused, was shown to do nail art after applying the gel base coat, was just a basic course so just covered glitter tips, apply glitter, confetti, marbelling, etc. Is this the norm or is it applied after you place the build?, on a sticky layer and then a gel top coat afterwards.

I am planning on buying the Kaleidoscope Gel Paint kit but have bought so much already and if I cld get away without buying more colour I will.

I have also done nail art on the natural nail, applying base coat and then enamel and then the design - left it overnight to dry properly (which obviously wldn't be feasable for a client) and when applied a fast drying top coat the black slightly ran - I was very frustrated. :irked:

I have diamonds, and small gems and several glitters - what do u think. Wld love to pratice on a few designs with what I have already, didn't want to ask the course because they'd probably say absolutely not - u need the gel paints, etc.

Sorry about the babble, appreaciate any tips. Still loving this site. The tips and tutorials are fantastic.:hug:

Last edited:
If you have glitter or chunky bits of nail art you need to integrate it in your builder gel. young nails finishing gel is to thin to cover glitter and ensure a smooth surface. if you want sharp designs with a striper brush or dotting tool use acrylic paint instead. this you can apply just before you apply your finishing gel on top of it. but you need to be sure that the acrylic paint has properly dried and that you didnt applied it too thick or the finishing gel can wear of on those spots or even crack if it was still wet underneath.
color gels are nice as whole overlays on top of the builder gel or to get the marbeling effect but i do feel that they dont give really sharp lines if you want to use them for detailed decorations. a paint on white gel would work okay to make some decorations with, due to its high pigment content but other colors will always look a bit transparent on the edges of your design resulting in a less sharp decoration.

Hope this helped.

Tks, it has. I'm going to buy some acrylic paint and start doodling!

:lol:

Latest posts

Back