Nail Biters and Products???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

traci3132

Reaction score
Hi all,

Sorry if this has been said before, but i did search for topics relating to this and haven't come across what i was looking for.

I get quite a few nail biters for gel enhancements.. I don't do acrylic.

I do not put white tips on a nail biter as imo this looks horrible, so only will apply them in extreme cases! if i can avoid it brilliant!

What I am finding hard is this,

I want to be able to extend the nail bed and give them beautiful nails. I has a client nail biter the other day and she had 2 weeks of nail growth, the nails were still very short though and her nail bed was only about 3mm in length then she had a 1.5mm length of white, she stil had visable skin above the white so don't want to call it her free edge. She was so delighted with her nail growth and wouldn't let me take any length off but only to shape them for the tips.

When I applied the clear tips and blended them you could still see her white free edge through, i thought i would be able to cover this with pink cover gel but as i found out i couldnt. It WAS covering but you could still see her white no matter what i did.

I was totally unhappy and filed them off and had to fit white tips... I no THE HORROR!! but didn't know what else to do.. In the end the white tips did look better than before... BUT I still wasn't pleased with the outcome! she said she was. But It doesn't matter because I wasn't.

So can anyone tell me what gel brands they use to help extend the nail bed of a biter, and what type of tips you find best i.e colour, type etc.

And also whether you find it best to use forms etc...

Sorry for the essay,any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

xoxo

Last edited:
I use CND Brisa Gels and the opaque gels are very good but sometimes it is still possible to see a little of the free edge through the opaque gel if the free edge is quite white SO in those instances I turn to my old friend the polish bottle and do a couple of coats of a semi sheer French colour on top of the enhancement and that pretty much disguises the problem for the client.

I suggest you do learn how to do L&P because the opaques are more obscure and really do cover well. People with nails like you describe should really be encouraged to wear a coloured polish on their enhancements .. so much prettier, slimming and elongating to the nail than pink and white.

Last edited:
I use CND Brisa Gels and the opaque gels are very good but sometimes it is still possible to see a little of the free edge through the opaque gel if the free edge is quite white SO in those instances I turn to my old friend the polish bottle and do a couple of coats of a semi sheer French colour and that pretty much disguises the problem for the client.

I suggest you do learn how to do L&P because the opaques are more obscure and really do cover well. People with nails like you describe should really be encouraged to wear a coloured polish .. so much prettier, slimming and elongating to the nail than pink and white.

The reason I don't do acrylic is because I took a severe allergic reaction to it.. So I gave it up.

Do you mean once you have given the client extensions and have applied topcoat, u then apply the semi sheer polish to cover the problem? And after i have applied the extensions to the nail biter, to then advise them on colour polish?

Last edited by a moderator:
Or do you mean once you have given the client extensions and have applied topcoat, u then apply the semi sheer polish to cover the problem?

x

Yes this is what I mean. Enhance and then apply the polish.

I use OPI Axxium Opaque Pink and have not really had any problems with seeing through it. But I have used a little pink and/or yellow pigment powder in it to darken it up a little to match someone's skin a little better. This adds a little to the opaqueness of it.

I use OPI Axxium Opaque Pink and have not really had any problems with seeing through it. But I have used a little pink and/or yellow pigment powder in it to darken it up a little to match someone's skin a little better. This adds a little to the opaqueness of it.

What pigment powders do you use and where can these be purchased? ty x

I use many pigment powders! Some are regular craft ones bought at scrapbooking stores--Jacquard Pearl-ex Pigments and I also buy a lot of cosmetic grade pigments from this website: Coastal Scents:
It takes VERY little to color something so be careful and experiment in small stages. I mean SMALL amounts of pigment!

Latest posts

Back