Nail Competition Rules

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Urban Geek

Mobile Nail technician
Reaction score
Can anyone clarify if you have won a nail competition in Birmingham, Scotland or Dublin or elsewhere, can you still enter tip & overlay at Pro Beauty Comps?

On reading the Pro Beauty rules, I would have assumed that you would not be able to enter tip & overlay. I know this wasn't the case at Excel and someone placed who has won a competition, although not one organised by Pro Beauty.

I am a bit confused. Can anyone clarify for future reference?

I agree Chris, would be interested to know the answer to that one.

hi chris, not definately sure, but i think if you have won a competition anywhere, you have to go in the big boy group (championship). if you have come 2nd in any competition, you may nominate yourself to enter the championship. it will be intresting to see if that placed person has broken the rules, i came 5th and still thought i should have been placed compared to the nails i saw that were re judged... do you think being judged earlier on in the line affects your marks? ie.. you may get lower marks at the front of the que because they expect a high standard, but towards the end of the que they may be a little more lenient if that vision of a perfect nail is not there.
and do you think the judging is fair? do the judges know whos nails are who's? for example... if only one competitor does fibreglass in the championship, isnt it pretty obvious who,s done them? i think the championship catagory should have 3 sections, so its fair to the pink and white competitors who in my opinion have a far more difficult job to create perfect consistant smiles.
this is only my opinion, i am not saying its right, and there maybe some disagreements, but hey its saturday, i am still tired from last week at excel and i got a parking ticket yesterday, so i feel really peed off and opinionated.

Last edited:
hi chris, not definately sure, but i think if you have won a competition anywhere, you have to go in the big boy group (championship). if you have come 2nd in any competition, you may nominate yourself to enter the championship. it will be intresting to see if that placed person has broken the rules, i came 5th and still thought i should have been placed compared to the nails i saw that were re judged... do you think being judged earlier on in the line affects your marks? ie.. you may get lower marks at the front of the que because they expect a high standard, but towards the end of the que they may be a little more lenient if that vision of a perfect nail is not there.
and do you think the judging is fair? do the judges know whos nails are who's? for example... if only one competitor does fibreglass in the championship, isnt it pretty obvious who,s done them? i think the championship catagory should have 3 sections, so its fair to the pink and white competitors who in my opinion have a far more difficult job to create perfect consistant smiles.

I agree with a lot of what you said and it was my impression that you had to go into the Championships if you had won any competition (apart I think novice and a nail art catgegory) but that if you had placed 2nd or 3rd in a competition, you could put yourself forward for the Championships.

I think (and hope) that the person concerned entered tip and overlay in good faith but I would be very miffed if I had placed close behind her (which I didn't).

My model was first to be juged in Sculpting and I did cringe and it did cross my mind that I would probably shatter their hopes of seeing a high standard but I'd like to think that all judges are consistent with how they judge. Afterall the models are judged twice - first showing their hands briefly to the judges and then again for proper marking so the judges would know the overall standard of each category before they actuall started marking.

I think at Excel the judges don't really know who they are judging except when it is so obvious it is difficult to do anything about it. I did compete once where the judges curtain was so short that they might as well have missed out the curtain altogether.

You may think your nails looked better than others but the judges are marking from a certain score sheet and overall the best nails do normally win.

I agree that for Championships there should be different categories, at least one for gel and acrylic and another perhaps for silk/fibreglass. A natural nail silk/fibreglass contender no doubt has an advantage over those doing p&w acrylic or gel. I don't think you can and think it unfair to judge p&w gel or acrylic on the same basis as you can natural silk/fibreglass nails.

hi chris, yes... i forgot they walk through the curtain first to see the general standard.i suppose that is fair.
i take my hat off to the judges, as they have all studied and practiced hard to get to where they are in the industry. but i still disagree with the championship... its not even my category, i arent that good yet, but i still think the comp should run three seperate catagories and give the overall highest point scorer the overall championship... at least the competitors would no where they rank against other tech's who use the same system.. but what do i know! lol.. there is probably a reason why they do that! i just wondered what other people thought.
i do think its a valid point you made about the placed person not knowing they had entered the wrong catagory. i am sure this is the case and it wouldnt make a difference to our scores and places anyway.
after studying my own work and looking at my score sheet, i cant disagree with the marks i got... only work on them for next time... hopefully see you there... x

Last edited:
I will try and contact Rachel for clarification and let you know.:confused:

The new categories have just recently been introduced. The comp organisers may well consider some of your suggestions.

Just to let you know that there are no restictions on entering the Top Tech tip & overlay categories at UK Nail Tech (Birmingham) and Scottish Nail Tech (Edinburgh) - it doesn't matter if you've won previously, you are still welcome to enter.

The only restrictions are that to qualify for Newcomer you must not have entered a professional nail comp anywhere before, and if you won the Salon Nail Challenge / Salon Nail Art Challenge in 2007 you must move up to the Top Tech categories this year.

To enter the Student category you have to an undergraduate.

For more information, visit the website: BeautyServe.com/BeautyUK

Melissa x

Thank you for letting me know about this post Chris, its difficult to keep up!

Just to confirm, the lady in question was within the rules to enter the Tip and Overlay category. The rules are not to have won any national comp and she has not. Yes she has won an international comp (Dublin) but that dosent count.

The Championships were new to this competition year so it was a learning curve for us all. The new comp years rules will be made clearer, for example it does not include Novice or nail art winners. Also we will have a better list of the comps you must have won to enter. Im not sure yet, but, as the standard is much higher now, i think we will include the Dublin comp next year to.

Also its the competitors who really wanted to go against each other with the systems. If you just split the systems, it goes back to the old level 2 and 3 system that competitiors didnt like. It is the same people winning with no real challenge. So to mix the systems pushes you to the limits. Also, now Elise has won, she cannot enter the next comp year so it gives somebody else a chance!

All feedback appreciated. We are already getting ideas together for the next one! I have Dublin and Manchester in October, 1 week apart!

does this mean that there will only be 2 professional beauty comps a year? Has septembers been scrapped altogether? :confused: xx

Thanks Rachel for clarifying xx:hug:

No prob, all sorted.

I dont know yet but as there has been no PR, i can only assume the sept comp will not be going ahead. So for me, i get a break til Dublin on the 5th and 6th October with Manchester the week after. Its like buses, you wait for ages, them two come together. I better start preparing now!

oh... i like the sound of dublin... we can party all night if we do well... could be a girls weekend away! anyone thinkin of traveling that far.... x

Sounds good to me!!! Although we will only have a week to recover before g-mex :eek: !!xx

i will start to save my pennies for dublin i think??? oh how fun that would be

Do you only get an hour and a half for the salon nail art?? and if so do you do a hand before the comp?? Dont know much about this category so if anyone has pics of what to expect that would be great as I dont know what they are after

i think its 1 1/2 hours for bith hands as it is pushing your salon skils not comp skills so it has to be something a client would wear hun nothing OTT :green:

Sounds good to me!!! Although we will only have a week to recover before g-mex :eek: !!xx

we will have to recover after gmex! perhaps we should find out a bit more info... flights, hotels, catagories...etc... then we could plan from there!
anyone know much about dublin? other than the pubs are open 24 hours... i'l be lucky to last 2.4 hours! so how many geeks are up for a bit of a girly weekend then.. feel free to pm me.... i think we should show rachel (chocolate)a bit of support seen as she's organising the comp, and get over there. xx

Dublin is the best comp, whoops, ive probably got the sack from PB now!

Although i do enjoy excel and manchester, my other comps, i much prefer the atmosphere at Dublin. I have judged for a few years and took over as organiser 2 years ago. Last year PB sold it to Expo Events and they asked me to run the comp again. We could do what we wanted and it was fab! We had a massive area, 2 judges rooms, flowers, goody bags, crystal trophies, nail kit prizes and more. The entrant numbers are normally 80-90 for England and we hit 107 in Dublin, which is amazing!

Flights are best with Ryan Air for 1p! You have to pay tax so it takes it to about £14 each way. Get the air coach from the airport, 12 euros return, stay at Bewleys Hotel at 99 euros per night for a twin room, very nice hotel and great fry up in the morn! It is right on the RDS so it takes about 4 mins to walk right into the exhibition. Its about 10 mins ride from city centre, costs 8 euros a trip, me and sue normally go to the Hard Rock as they do great cocktails!

I will email kirsty some pics so she can upload them for me as i cant do it!

Can i temp anyone to join me, and then we can all stagger home in time for manchester!

What are the date(s) for Dublin?

Count me in Rachel!!

Think it's the 5th and 6th october chris, are you up for it??

Latest posts

Back